Psittacus

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Eclectus are birds that has a very strict diet. There is NO miracle pellet for them as usually they should not eat seeds or pellets. However the OMEGA diet is approved to make a part of their diet in a low percentage in their daily ration, together with lots of fresh veggies and fruits.

Letty - I want to join others in saying thank you for jumping in and hope you donā€™t take any of this Thread as a personal attack. We welcome you with open arms.

That said, your statement misses a few marks. There are no miracle pellets for anyone; they are all human contrived. Eclectus specific, Any pellet that lacks dyes and supplementation is [arguably] suitable for eclectus use

Your omega product Is definitely not a good eclectus product, not even as a supplement to fresh food. This is for two reasons:

1) as previously stated, you donā€™t list the ingredients. For us Ekkie owners, thatā€™s a nonstarter immediately. As David previously said, its often a nonstarter for most owners.

2) the crude analysis show this to be a high protein pellet at 26%. Ekkies are highly susceptible to atherosclerosis, high protein content is a big no-no. I see TOPs at 13%, Iā€™m going there.

The key to the Ekkie diet is to understand they need relatively nutrient POOR food compared to other parrots, since they can absorb nutrients much more efficiently. For this reason, Eclectus cannot have anything with supplemented vitamins and minerals...Period

Last edited:

MySafeBirdStore

Apr 16, 2012
Great post! I love it! Can I tell you how many people purchase a seed diet from me (the company which will remain unnamed) that is allegedly for Eclectus and has no "added vitamins"? First, I am very anti-seed. Seed is meant for some birds in addition to pellets and fresh. That's for another topic. As a once-in-while treat? Sure. I'll agree. However, these people with the "added vitamins" fear have been brainwashed.

First, lots of sugar, dyes and fake supplements are not recommended for any bird. If you want to supplement your bird, use Bee Pollen (IMHO) or even herb salad that your bird can choose what he wants. I keep hatched in my cage at all times and my female ekkie takes it AS NEEDED. I do not force it upon her.

THAT BEING SAID... one never knows what can happen in your life. This pandemic is a perfect example. So feeding a fresh diet is magnificent and the best diet ever, but you really need to keep a dry diet available at all times. 9/11 was a good example. My ex was a Port Authority Police Officer involved in the rescue/recovery. Can I tell you how many people could not go back to their homes for DAYS? Many had birds. :( Thus the need to always have a dry diet in your cage.

I realize we all have differing opinions. My one eclectus is almost 30 and the other is 21. I have always had the same regimen for them and their blood tests are fabulous. I refuse to feed seed (unless as a treat maybe once a month). They get my Bountiful Harvest which has two types of pellets and a laundry list of other items. Yup. There is some sulfured fruit in there. And you now what? Years ago, there was never anything known as organic or non-sulfured. That's what we had and that's what we fed. My Macaws are between 35-40 years old. Do I feed a ton of sulfured fruit? Nope, but it's in there. I love TOPS because it is cold-pressed, but it is by no means a complete diet. People feeling that they can feed a pellet and be done are misinformed :( Did you know that Golden'Obles have been discontinued? Goldenfeast was bought out by an overseas company a few years ago. No longer doing the obles, so check your expiration dates. I also like Oven Fresh Bites.

Lastly, I see a few people out there pushing an all fresh diet and TOPS. This is fabulous, for those who can do that. However, not everyone has the work schedule which allows this. What is worse is that so many people do not realize that fresh foods should be removed and tossed within 3 hours of serving. Bacteria begins to grow (sometimes faster during warm days if your house is not airconditioned or you keep your AC on a high setting).

Nice chatting!! Stay safe.

Iā€™ll certainly not claim expertise here, just another internet voice.

I donā€™t disagree the stigma is somewhat misplaced. But I think it takes someone with a touch of experience to see past the peculiarities to see just how similar they are to other parrots. Like how the so-called ā€œeclectus dietā€ is actually a good diet for any bird.

Contemplating your question, I think Iā€™ve finally found my complete answer to your question, which Iā€™ve never quite been able to distill before.

The major obstacles in the Ekkie diet are sugar, dyes, supplementation, and to a lesser extend fat. I feed in accordance with these guidelines: eliminate supplementation and dyes, minimize sugar, and keep an eye on fat But done obsess over it.

His diet is basically vegetables and grains, with occasionally fruit thrown in.

In that vein, Iā€™m not as full on anti-pellet Ekkie owner you often see others - though I will present as such to new posters here since they lack the sophistication in the early stages to discern good from bad - just keep it to fresh. I will feed TOPs or Goldenfeast Goldnā€™obles on occasion, since they have neither supplements nor dyes. I do also feed a dry mix such as the assorted Goldenfeast freeze dried veggie mixes or Volkmans eclectus.

Parkerā€™s breakfast is often this dry stuff. When we are home as with this quarantine, itā€™s dry stuff for breakfast and fresh is always available throughout the day- we may throw a bunch of sprouts in his bowl, or celery, or Swiss chard stalk, or a kiwi, pomegranate, apple. Something fresh and sometimes something he can shred into (apples, kiwis, honey mangoes, to name a few = foraging)

Dinner is frozen chop.

Additionally, driven by Parker, we also subscribe to Hungry Harvest, one of those imperfect produce type services where you get farm fresh produce for lower prices compared to a grocery store. This service feeds into the ā€œfresh available through the dayā€ method, or even replaces chop for a night if weā€™re feeling up to additional prep work, and often offers unique food items that Parker and I otherwise donā€™t have access to.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
And thatā€™s the thing - while much of this is rooted in fact, there is still very much room for opinion and experience.

Anti-pelleters would pillory me for feeding even nonsupplemented pellets. But Iā€™ve got the annual bloodwork and physicals showing he is the picture of health.

I wouldnā€™t serve sulfured fruit, and would technically pillory you for that. But you have the bloodwork and physicals showing your boy is fine. So I certainly wouldnā€™t argue with you on that :)

Iā€™m not as anti seed as many. Seeds have their place in a well rounded diet. Not as the main diet, but as a small part of. They are nutritious in their own way

Psittacus

Apr 11, 2020
Florida
An honest answer: As an eclectus owner, the eclectus diet being what it is, I HAVE to be discerning about the ingredients. I canā€™t work with ā€œkindaā€. but in theory everyone should be as discerning of their food regardless of species. We need to know whatā€™s in there.

Hold a gun to my head, I would pass on both of them. One lists garbage ingredients, the other doesnā€™t tell me at all what is in there - in addition to being heavily supplemented.

I was going to say the same thing! List one tells me to run! List two is a red flag and gives the appearance of deliberate ambiguity!
Letty, thank you so much and please donā€™t take this as a personal or product attack!

Not at all David, thanks for your feedback, i don't push anyone to use our products at all :)

:grey:

Psittacus

Apr 11, 2020
Florida
Eclectus are birds that has a very strict diet. There is NO miracle pellet for them as usually they should not eat seeds or pellets. However the OMEGA diet is approved to make a part of their diet in a low percentage in their daily ration, together with lots of fresh veggies and fruits.

Letty - I want to join others in saying thank you for jumping in and hope you donā€™t take any of this Thread as a personal attack. We welcome you with open arms.

That said, your statement misses a few marks. There are no miracle pellets for anyone; they are all human contrived. Eclectus specific, Any pellet that lacks dyes and supplementation is [arguably] suitable for eclectus use

Your omega product Is definitely not a good eclectus product, not even as a supplement to fresh food. This is for two reasons:

1) as previously stated, you donā€™t list the ingredients. For us Ekkie owners, thatā€™s a nonstarter immediately. As David previously said, its often a nonstarter for most owners.

2) the crude analysis show this to be a high protein pellet at 26%. Ekkies are highly susceptible to atherosclerosis, high protein content is a big no-no. I see TOPs at 13%, Iā€™m going there.

The key to the Ekkie diet is to understand they need relatively nutrient POOR food compared to other parrots, since they can absorb nutrients much more efficiently. For this reason, Eclectus cannot have anything with supplemented vitamins and minerals...Period

Thank you and really appreciated your welcome with open arms, i don't take any of these as threat to me or the brand at all, i am open minded and accept any positive as negative reviews about our products, everyone has their own opinion and i accept this. I just try to do the best i can to help where i can, i also will modify our products on our website with a whole list of ingredients :)

Take care all x

Most Reactions

Latest posts