Questions from a teenage girl interested in parrots

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
however, bird owners EVERYWHERE post horror story after horror story. hundreds of websites are up, everywhere - about bird deaths...

but thousands of bird owners grieving on the internet, warning the rest of us not to take the matter lightly was enough for me to replace everything in my home. I hope it's enough for everyone else.

I hope this helps you..... my Ziggy adds in "squaaark!" :green1:

We switched to cast iron because Hahnzel doesn't need to be a cautionary tale...and look no further than this forum, in the bereavement section for your teflon deaths.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Teflon and Birds

Teflon is DuPont's brand name for a chemical called polytetrafluoroethylene, abbreviated as PTFE...... PTFE cookware is sold under many brand names besides Teflon. These include T-Fal, Silverstone, Flura, Excalibur, Supra, Xylon, Greblon, Resistal, Duracote, Autograph and Scanpan.

PTFE - Not Teflon. Teflon is just one brand name of many that use PTFE as a non-stick ingredient.

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
I live in an apartment and have a GCC, and it works very well. She doesn't make a sound most of the time, and I'm not sure my neighbors even know she's here. I'm gone all day so she amuses herself with her toys and watching TV, and I let her out of her cage for most of the time when I'm home. If you let the bird find it's own way, yours would probably fit into the "flock" of people by hanging out with you and your family. I don't think it's a problem if you're the only one who interacts with your bird, as long as the others are willing to tolerate her presence. I would recommend you have the wings clipped at least once because it helps greatly in the taming and training process. Once the bird is tame and bonded to you can let her wings grow back and she will have an added skill (flight) to enjoy finding you, etc. Some people on here are paranoid about using nonstick cookware, having scents in the house, etc. I have never made a decision in that regard based on my bird being here, and tend to think people have built up these old wives' tales over the years. Perhaps I'm wrong: does anyone know someone who can show that their bird died from them using nonstick cookware? If so, I stand corrected. In any event, if you show your family that the bird can fit comfortably in with everyone, even if they don't like birds, things should be okay.:green2:

legal -

a lot of people think that way - it's nobody's fault. I used to as well, lots of people making a big deal over nothing.

it's teflon's fault.

no one, including and especially the government, has done ANYTHING to regulate the serious effects of heated teflon products. Teflon discovered many years ago that it is toxic and dangerous (even to humans, people report getting sick after overheating teflon products), and only as recently as 2007 posted something very very quietly on their websites that they "may be dangerous to exotic species of animals."

as the fumes are not specifically lethal to humans, nothing can be done by the EPA. as far as the EPA's concerned, if it doesn't kill humans, it doesn't matter.

therefore, it's hard to find anything official (i.e. - from government websites or official label warnings) - or else teflon would be out of business.

however, bird owners EVERYWHERE post horror story after horror story. hundreds of websites are up, everywhere - about bird deaths. some birds escape, while some die right next to them. some kill birds within minutes, or seconds, of overheating teflon items. some die only after leaving something on the stove for hours. every story ends the same way, "I wish I hadn't used teflon. Please tell everyone else." Keeping a bird away from the kitchen has not helped owners. Birds have been at the other end of houses, upstairs, behind closed doors. i myself was a teflon owner until recently, and i've been a bird owner for years. i was ashamed.

here is one website - that lists hundreds below in reference:

Teflon and other non-stick pans kill birds | Environmental Working Group

sadly, the EPA is no help. all they state on their website:
Teflon and Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA)

is this:

"Because birds are very sensitive to fumes released by non-stick cookware, some organizations of pet bird owners recommend minimizing a bird's exposure to these fumes by keeping pet birds out of the kitchen or by increasing ventilation if non-stick cookware is used."

but thousands of bird owners grieving on the internet, warning the rest of us not to take the matter lightly was enough for me to replace everything in my home. I hope it's enough for everyone else.

Thanks for that link ... very interesting. But I am still curious if anyone knows personally of a bird dying from Teflon fumes. Just because something is posted on ye olde interwebs doesn't make it true. And bird owners often tend to be hyper vigilant. Recall that the OP wants to have a parrot fit into her family life ... making herself a nuisance by unreasonably anticipating catastrophes could make her quest that much more difficult. :green2:

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
I live in an apartment and have a GCC, and it works very well. She doesn't make a sound most of the time, and I'm not sure my neighbors even know she's here. I'm gone all day so she amuses herself with her toys and watching TV, and I let her out of her cage for most of the time when I'm home. If you let the bird find it's own way, yours would probably fit into the "flock" of people by hanging out with you and your family. I don't think it's a problem if you're the only one who interacts with your bird, as long as the others are willing to tolerate her presence. I would recommend you have the wings clipped at least once because it helps greatly in the taming and training process. Once the bird is tame and bonded to you can let her wings grow back and she will have an added skill (flight) to enjoy finding you, etc. Some people on here are paranoid about using nonstick cookware, having scents in the house, etc. I have never made a decision in that regard based on my bird being here, and tend to think people have built up these old wives' tales over the years. Perhaps I'm wrong: does anyone know someone who can show that their bird died from them using nonstick cookware? If so, I stand corrected. In any event, if you show your family that the bird can fit comfortably in with everyone, even if they don't like birds, things should be okay.:green2:

legal -

a lot of people think that way - it's nobody's fault. I used to as well, lots of people making a big deal over nothing.

it's teflon's fault.

no one, including and especially the government, has done ANYTHING to regulate the serious effects of heated teflon products. Teflon discovered many years ago that it is toxic and dangerous (even to humans, people report getting sick after overheating teflon products), and only as recently as 2007 posted something very very quietly on their websites that they "may be dangerous to exotic species of animals."

as the fumes are not specifically lethal to humans, nothing can be done by the EPA. as far as the EPA's concerned, if it doesn't kill humans, it doesn't matter.

therefore, it's hard to find anything official (i.e. - from government websites or official label warnings) - or else teflon would be out of business.

however, bird owners EVERYWHERE post horror story after horror story. hundreds of websites are up, everywhere - about bird deaths. some birds escape, while some die right next to them. some kill birds within minutes, or seconds, of overheating teflon items. some die only after leaving something on the stove for hours. every story ends the same way, "I wish I hadn't used teflon. Please tell everyone else." Keeping a bird away from the kitchen has not helped owners. Birds have been at the other end of houses, upstairs, behind closed doors. i myself was a teflon owner until recently, and i've been a bird owner for years. i was ashamed.

here is one website - that lists hundreds below in reference:

Teflon and other non-stick pans kill birds | Environmental Working Group

sadly, the EPA is no help. all they state on their website:
Teflon and Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA)

is this:

"Because birds are very sensitive to fumes released by non-stick cookware, some organizations of pet bird owners recommend minimizing a bird's exposure to these fumes by keeping pet birds out of the kitchen or by increasing ventilation if non-stick cookware is used."

Thanks for that link ... very interesting. But I am still curious if anyone knows personally of a bird dying from Teflon fumes. Just because something is posted on ye olde interwebs doesn't make it true. And bird owners often tend to be hyper vigilant. Recall that the OP wants to have a parrot fit into her family life ... making herself a nuisance by unreasonably anticipating catastrophes could make her quest that much more difficult. :green2:

Yes, one of my first birds died from Teflon fumes. I'd already had her a little while, she was very healthy and in great condition. We got a new saucepan (teflon.. I regret to say) and when i used it the bird was in the next room over (but there were a lot of fumes so i stunk out a few rooms) I accidentally burned the food and later that night my poor bird was dead. There is no other explanation for an otherwise healthy thriving bird, especially for a death so sudden and rather quick.

Never again have I used teflon, and if I have.. the bird has been a few rooms away and I haven't heated up the pan too much or for too long. But for so much effort and the risk.. it's just not worth it.

Question: What does OP mean? *embarrassed grin*

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
OP = Original Poster

Most Reactions