Rehoming Keiko

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
great news...Mikey is gonna adopt Keiko

It was nice meeting you today Heather!!! We came home and discussed about Keiko and planned where her cage is going to be. She will be where all the action is. By the way, Parker is just wayyyyyyyy too cute!!!!!! :D

ps. Willie thank you for his new toy!!!! :20:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I must also add this about Java, his previous owner give him up because her husband had health issue with his lungs and can not tolerate a Cockatoo's dust. He ended up divorcing her a week later after she give him up. She went through the divorce and moving, with everything changing, it was probably a good thing Java was with me during that period as it can be hard on a bird going through all that emotional trauma. Plus I was able to help with food, smoking issue, and weight issue as he was under weight. So I guess I can feel good on what I have accomplished with Java, I got emotional earlier and right now talking about him. I'm gonna quit right now before I get too emotional.....

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Heather I am so sorry to hear you had to re-home Keiko. I know you did it for her own good & I totally understand it. {((*BIG HUG*))} I haven't been on for awhile, been kinda' busy with Ruby Jewel coming home & remodeling. You are a wonderful parront & you will find the right feathered darling that wants to be your new flock member when the time is right.:) Don't give up, some parrots just don't want to live with or accept you in their flock no matter what you do for them.

Not for the same reason, but I had to re-home all my parrots I'd owned for almost 10 yrs., many yrs ago. Life changes warranted my reasons, but it still hurt & it still was the best thing to do for m flock. :(

I am so glad MikeyTN has agreed to take Keiko & she did not have to be shipped across country to someone. I just went through the trauma of an expectant parront waiting for the plane to come in & bring my GW girl to me. Trouble was it took 1 1/2 hrs to find the cargo building & she was already waiting at the counter for me.:red1:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I must also add this about Java, his previous owner give him up because her husband had health issue with his lungs and can not tolerate a Cockatoo's dust. He ended up divorcing her a week later after she give him up. She went through the divorce and moving, with everything changing, it was probably a good thing Java was with me during that period as it can be hard on a bird going through all that emotional trauma. Plus I was able to help with food, smoking issue, and weight issue as he was under weight. So I guess I can feel good on what I have accomplished with Java, I got emotional earlier and right now talking about him. I'm gonna quit right now before I get too emotional.....

HUGS, Mikey! I can see this is tearing you up!!! :(

RiahWillow

May 19, 2013
Just south of Nashville, TN
Parrots
George- Eclectus
Kiki- Senegal
Gracie- Eclectus (not born yet)
Mikey,

She left me with all 5 and told me 1 month max..

3 months she called crying and said "I am so sorry, im trying to get my animals back" At
5 months she called crying again "I am getting a third job so I can afford a new place and move again, then I can come get my animals."
7 months she called again " I got a third job, I am never home, my 13 year old daughter misses me, I barely have enough time to sleep and eat, but I promise I am working on getting a new place to live so I can come get my animals back."
9 months (just a few weeks ago) She called and said "I am living in a two bedroom with a roommate, my daughter MY NEW DOG and myself, but I promise I am trying to find a place to move to so I can have my animals back."

At this point I wish she would have just faced reality early on and allowed me to adopt them out to new homes as the dogs are great and they deserve to not live in limbo. I do not have the space to do anything but house them on a temp basis. (or I should say, I feel like my space is not enough) I could have adopted out both cats and dogs months ago and just been left with the bird. BUT NOOOO... Never again, I felt sorry for her and "her animals" as I hate to see a family break up over housing but there has to be a time to throw in the towel as now they are attached to me, something I wanted to avoid.
I am so soft in the heart when it comes to any animal and how they are helpless to the treatment of humans that I fall prey to folks like her and then I end up with the house full and the neighbors threatening to call Animal Control on me... UGG thank goodness I used to work there and they know I never keep too many on a forever basis.. I like having 3 dogs max and they BETTER be small ones..

Well that is my soap box for the day.. the saga of Riah the softie that everyone dumps pets on.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
My partner is glad Java is going as they don't get along. Java will fly attack my partner or cause issues during feeding time. He won't back off the feed door either....lol.....I was laughing so hard when my partner had to peek in to talk to me when Java is out and if Java looks back, there goes my partner running off....lol....he is dangerous like that though and I can't get him to stop. When I intervine he attacks me too. Thanks Shelly for your kind words. Like Jtbird says, the badness is embed in him and its not easy to change his ways.....

Most Reactions