Sick eckie

Shan

Jul 16, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
Hi, my eclectus had diarrhoea for the past few weeks and we had visited a vet. He was prescribed with antibiotics and anti diarrhoea medication. Now that he has completed the medication, we realised that his poop is still on the watery side. Jut wondering if this is considered healthy and that he doesn’t have any other problems that requires another trip to the vet. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4502.jpeg
    IMG_4502.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 25

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi, my eclectus had diarrhoea for the past few weeks and we had visited a vet. He was prescribed with antibiotics and anti diarrhoea medication. Now that he has completed the medication, we realised that his poop is still on the watery side. Jut wondering if this is considered healthy and that he doesn’t have any other problems that requires another trip to the vet. Thank you!
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry you’re going through this!

I don’t own an Ekkie and, since their diet is so vastly different from other parrots, I can’t tell you if your birds droppings look okay.

If I were to guess I’d say that looks off but I’m sure another member who owns an Ekkie will chime in!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Try to estabish that your vet is a qualified Avian Vet. In so many corners of the world, Avian medicine lags far behind the more developed nations. Lots of dog and cat type vets will see birds, but are not really qualified. I hope for the best with your Ekkie!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
To me, that poop looks kinda suspect, but to be fair, sometimes it's just dependant on what he's been eating. I'm thinking that's not it in this case, so I'd consider at least sending the picture to your vet and talking with them. Antibiotics can cause diarrhea anyway. You might also ask them about some probiotics to help.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
solos poop never looks like that. It’s always the defined tube of green with liquid or white. The green never spreads out into the liquid. I’d say it definitely doesn’t look right. I would think that it needs to be sampled by an avian vet. I see you posted a couple of weeks ago. I hope you managed to get him/her to a ver and is all clear now. ❤️
I have this chart as a general rule of thumb. Seed eaters as opposed to frugivores or herbivores are all going to be individual. Only you know your bird.

Attachments

• IMG_6294.jpeg
    IMG_6294.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 22

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
solos poop never looks like that. It’s always the defined tube of green with liquid or white. The green never spreads out into the liquid. I’d say it definitely doesn’t look right. I would think that it needs to be sampled by an avian vet. I see you posted a couple of weeks ago. I hope you managed to get him/her to a ver and is all clear now. ❤️
I have this chart as a general rule of thumb. Seed eaters as opposed to frugivores or herbivores are all going to be individual. Only you know your bird.
I like this poop chart, too. Very helpful. We all tend to obsess about our birds' poop, especially when it looks different. Most of the time it can be traced to their recent diet but not always so I keep this chart handy. I also try to catch my birds' poops on plain white paper towel when trying to determine it's normal and give the paper towels to the vet if I have concerns.

Most Reactions