Species Suggestions?

Ray

Sep 6, 2011
WingsUpNorth,

I have also been looking for a parrot and the criteria that you have listed match mine exactly--even your living situation. :)

Have you decided on a parrot species?

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
Several requests in parrot personality that you have are not consistent when I consider the parrot species that I am familiar with. In my experience a quiet parrot is not necessarily a cuddly parrot. I have had over 10 years of experience with a male Cockatiel, a male Yellow Naped Amazon, a female Citron Crested Cockatoo, a Blue & Gold Macaw, a female Congo African Gray, & a Rosebreasted Cockatoo. The small species lovebirds, conures, ringnecks, & quakers, that I have been around for 3-4 hours at a time in the rescue that I work with have been significantly louder than the larger ones in my experience. I personally would never get one of those breeds. The repetitive, high pitched screeches that they make grate on my nerves. When you said quiet I immediately thought African Gray, mine was the quietest bird that I had, but she was most definitely not cuddly. She never screamed or schrieked during the 10 years that I had her. She was wonderful at mimicking sounds, but she didn't have much of a personality, she was just kind of there. The cuddliest parrots that I know of are the Umbrella cockatoos, they can be very loud, but they aren't ALL very loud. There are major individual differences in parrots of all the species. I suggest watching many You Tube clips of any species that you are considering making their natural cries & deciding if you & your neighbors could tolerate those sounds repeatedly, hourly, daily, weekly, & for months at a time. I have ruled out & narrowed down my decisions about various parrots to rescue that way. Good luck.

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
all I can say is if your looking for a bird that wont bite get a finch. in the past Ive owned or lived with a quaker parrot who screamed its head off and plucked all its feathers, a redbelly parrot who was very quiet and quit biting me after I got drunk and stuck my hand in his cage and let him shred it. we were best friends after that, he never bit me again. he tried to kill anyone who got near me though. we also took in a goffins cockatoo who decided on a rank for every member in the house and would be lovey dovey with the highest ranking member who was home at the time and all others below that person would be mercilessly attacked. I dont know if these are representitive of their breeds or not but, Ive come to the conclusion all birds bite. sooner or later all birds will bite you. so I went with a breed that is too small to hurt me.LOL I got a budgie and I love this little guy. very quiet. bites dont hurt and if you can find a hand raised one they are just as friendly and social as the big guys.

cece15

Oct 13, 2016
California
No offense but no bird really exists that meets your criteria. Having a parrot is having a toddler. They can bite, scream, and feather pluck if they are unhappy or feel neglected. All birds are loud and all birds can be nippy and moody.
It really depends on the relationship you build with your bird.
If you are scared of a bird bite DO NOT get a bird. Birds WILL bite.Even birds that are generally nice and sweet can bite you.

I would not suggest an ekkie if you have never owned a bird ever. They are very difficult birds; they are like other parrots bt with extra work to meet their dietary requirements.

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
No offense but no bird really exists that meets your criteria. Having a parrot is having a toddler. They can bite, scream, and feather pluck if they are unhappy or feel neglected. All birds are loud and all birds can be nippy and moody.
It really depends on the relationship you build with your bird.
If you are scared of a bird bite DO NOT get a bird. Birds WILL bite.Even birds that are generally nice and sweet can bite you.

I would not suggest an ekkie if you have never owned a bird ever. They are very difficult birds; they are like other parrots bt with extra work to meet their dietary requirements.

Not saying its a bad thing, but the thread is from 2011 and their bird is probably a few years old by now if they got one. :D these threads seem to come up a lot though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts