Step-up breakthrough

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I don't know why I didn't figure this out sooner, but I'm ecstatic with today's "step up" progress! Jackie is a turd when it comes to stepping up- he likes to (try to) bite first... I wrapped my forearm with an ace bandage (to lessen/eliminate the pain of a bite) and then put my sweatshirt on- if he sees the Ace bandage he runs away, but sweatshirts are ok lol Every time I've asked him to step up he'll bite my arm, then step up and is happy as a bird-clam sitting on my arm!!! Yayyyyyyyy!!!! :D *sigh* things are sooooo much easier now..

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Great news, isn't it wonderful as you progress.

It's so great!! :D as the day's progressed he's stopped trying to bite before stepping up since it obviously does him no good lol but now he wants me to pack him around everywhere and wants to be close lol I'm so excittteeddd!!!

Oh and his aviator harness came in the mail today, so I'll start familiarizing him with it.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Congrats! Great news.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Today I was able to NOT wear the ace bandage on my arm since he's stopped trying to bite me before stepping up :) since I haven't received the dishes for his jungle gym yet he has to rely on me to transport him to his food and water dishes, and then back to the jungle gym. Usually I can tell when he wants me to pick him up so far, but if I'm out of sight he squawks loudly for me :/

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Aww he loves you, keep working with him every day and in the future he will step up anywhere for you. You are creating that trust and bond.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I know he does :) and it's been much, much easier dealing with him knowing I can just get him on my arm. He tries to get on my shoulder, which I don't like if I'm not wearing a hooded sweatshirt because I don't want him to bite my ear or something. Today he got up there and got irritated by my hair or something and I reached up out of instinct and he gave me a really firm warning bite on my finger :/
But, we're making progress :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
We're at this point in training too. My Beaks are coming along really nicely: stepping up and occasionally flying to me when I call their names. The only thing is, I *cannot* stop them from landing on my head and shoulders. Once there, it's easy enough to step them onto my hand, but they really do prefer being farther 'up' me. My kids have resorted to wearing hoodies or beanies, but I've just persevered with my naked head. Lucky I've got very thick, very long hair! My son is bald, so I can understand why he feels the need for protection. LOL!

What I've been doing to date is simply moving them from my head/shoulders onto my hand each time they land. Then, I give a treat. This has stopped the biting of my earrings (but not my glasses). Is there anything else I should be doing to get the Beaks off my head/shoulders and onto my hand?

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
We're at this point in training too. My Beaks are coming along really nicely: stepping up and occasionally flying to me when I call their names. The only thing is, I *cannot* stop them from landing on my head and shoulders. Once there, it's easy enough to step them onto my hand, but they really do prefer being farther 'up' me. My kids have resorted to wearing hoodies or beanies, but I've just persevered with my naked head. Lucky I've got very thick, very long hair! My son is bald, so I can understand why he feels the need for protection. LOL!

What I've been doing to date is simply moving them from my head/shoulders onto my hand each time they land. Then, I give a treat. This has stopped the biting of my earrings (but not my glasses). Is there anything else I should be doing to get the Beaks off my head/shoulders and onto my hand?

Hopefully someone with more experience can answer your question- I'm still fairly new at this being a parront thing lol I've only had Jackie 3.5 months with him being my first "big" bird.
But, IMO I think redirecting them off of your head/shoulders to a preferred location is good...my problem with Jackie is once he's on my shoulder he doesn't allow my hand near him so I have to walk over and let him get on his jungle gym, then if he still wants to hang out I offer my arm.
I could totally be wrong about my next statement, but maybe they see landing on your head/shoulders as a good thing since they get treats even after you remove them with your hand. Maybe if you see them flying at you, put your arm out and reward them for landing on your arm.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Y'know, getwozzy, I tried putting out my arm for them to land on this evening and it worked a treat! Thanks so much for the idea - it seems so obvious, now it's working, but I wouldn't have thought to try it if you hadn't suggested it. :D

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Y'know, getwozzy, I tried putting out my arm for them to land on this evening and it worked a treat! Thanks so much for the idea - it seems so obvious, now it's working, but I wouldn't have thought to try it if you hadn't suggested it. :D

Haha you're welcome! :D glad I could help!
Evening?! Where are you from? I just woke up! Lol

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I half wonder if Jackie biting you was his way to make sure your arm is stable? I used to have a conure that would bite *every single time* he became unstable/tripped. As long as he didn't, he wouldn't bite, but the moment he did I knew to expect the bite and ignore it. If I tried to reprimand/punish/avoid the bite instead, I would get bitten more.

I generally don't recommend ignoring the bite unless it's with a parrot that isn't sure that what they are stepping onto is a stable perch. This is especially so for larger parrots where our hands may unexpectedly 'dip' once the bird steps up onto us.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I half wonder if Jackie biting you was his way to make sure your arm is stable? I used to have a conure that would bite *every single time* he became unstable/tripped. As long as he didn't, he wouldn't bite, but the moment he did I knew to expect the bite and ignore it. If I tried to reprimand/punish/avoid the bite instead, I would get bitten more.

I generally don't recommend ignoring the bite unless it's with a parrot that isn't sure that what they are stepping onto is a stable perch. This is especially so for larger parrots where our hands may unexpectedly 'dip' once the bird steps up onto us.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's why...he would lunge towards my arm and bite hard as if to say GO AWAY!! He wasn't used to stepping up on my arm (or anywhere on me), but he's stopped trying to bite my arm and he steps up without issues now that he's used to my arm. Even when he's on my arm and becomes unstable or loses his balance, he doesn't bite. There's been a couple times where he's almost fallen off of my arm, but he'll hook my arm with his beak to try to get back up- but it's not a bite.

Most Reactions