Toy aggression?

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
It seems like Parry is not very interested in parrot toys, but the ones he really loves are his "fighting" toys. These are two cat toys - small colorful plastic balls with holes and a bell inside (I also used them as foraging toys sticking the treats in the holes, but now it's too easy for him). I attached one them on a parrot toy chain in his cage and the other one is on his play table. He bites them, screams at them and gets all puffed up while attacking them once in a while. :) If I take the smaller one out and roll it on the chain he would follow it and bite a hell out of it (it's really funny to watch). :) They are pretty sturdy - there is not a single scratch from his bites on them.
I was just wondering if it's good that he is attacking the toys this way? It seems like it's not a deep aggression though because if I want him to step up while he is playing he would climb on my hand and is very sweet. Are your parrots doing this to their toys as well? I bought him a few parrot toys, but after nibbling on them for a few days he lost interest, but these two he had for a while and is still playing with them a lot.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Charlie enjoys chewing on yucca toys and pieces. However, for other hanging toys, he beats the crap out of them! And if one toy attack backs, oh boy does he get pissed! LOL He screams at his toys, attacks them with both beak and a foot, repeatedly bashing them around!

Jayde on the other hand? She's a big chewer. I get her a ladder made with sisal and "logs". She chews the chisel. I get her a wooden toy made with wood blocks and rope. She chews the rope. Rope perch? She usually ends up chewing it to pieces. Wooden perch up high? She chews that too. She does chew on her toys as well, but she seems to prefer chewing on the things I don't want her chewing on more than the things I do want her to chew on! LOL

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Oh my goodness - the battles that Avery has with her favorite two toys are absolutely hilarious! She'll attack them and squawk at them, and there's times I'm convinced she's having some kind of outright war with them. She'll climb up and down them, tear into them, and because they're on chains and spin she'll get incredibly frustrated when it comes back and gives her a good little return "hit"... it's so funny!

I've rotated Avery's toys often and have tried to introduce new ones as often as I can, but those two have remained her favorite to this day. I find myself having to buy new ones frequently, whereas the other ones have little wear and I cycle out without having to replace. Even if I move others around into her favorite spots for playing, she'll deliberately seek those two out. She's also a chewer like your Jayde, Monica! I have a wood and rope ladder perch for her, and she'll just chew on the rope. She's not a big wood chewer, but looovesss chewing on sisal rope.

I think it's good that Parry has some favorite toys, it at least lets you know he has some toys that he gets excellent stimulation and fun out of!

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
LOL, Monica - what you described about Charlie is exactly what Parry does, and it's very funny indeed! LOL :D I'm glad he is not the only one. But he seems really enjoying that actually. :) He is not an avid chewer though...

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
Veimar, both my green cheek conures do EXACTLY what your describing to those same bell ball toys!! Attack with a vengeance, throw them in the floor if they can, but while it seems to be an attack, they both have seemed to enjoy them! The first few times I was worried but then decided that if it was their way of getting aggression out or having fun, at least it was that little ball getting the attack and NOT me!!

Most Reactions