Toys with threads

Boki

Aug 7, 2018
HI
Parrots
Marcy - double yellow Amazon
Mac - blue front Amazon
Loki - rosefront conure
I have read so much about the danger of huddle huts that I would never get one. But I did buy her first toy for which she loves. I am asking if I should trim off the strings? She does seem to tying to eat them but maybe she is sort of flossing.

This bird is 6 months old. I am also wondering about perch size. Right now the perches are about 0.5 inches in diameter. But I notice when she starts to nod off, she starts to lose her grip and fall off. Or maybe because this is a new home, she just needs more time to get the hang of it (pun intended).

Attachments

• First Day.jpg
    First Day.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 77

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
yes yes yes.

I think eating the strings off of the rope perch caused the death of my RLA Pacho.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The toy looks like it's not made of "rope" but of something else.
It's the yarn type of toys that I now stay away from.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I too am cautious with threads of any kind - I have one conure that is a notorious chewer and can’t have rope perches. My others don’t seem to bother chewing the ropes (of course I check them regularly). I do keep a variety of sizes of perches in everyone’s cage - 0.5 inch diameter might be fine, but she might prefer other sizes be available and will choose where she’s comfortable sleeping. Mine seem to choose to sleep on a bit wider perches, although they use all of them when navigating around.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
If she’s chewing on the threads then I would remove it. None of my birds chew on their rope perches so they all have them in their cages. I check them regularly and they don’t fray much at all because the birds don’t chew on them. Maybe you should replace the toy with a rope swing or boing that doesn’t have loose threads?

Most Reactions

Latest posts