TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Ok, so Christy and I really want to get into trick training both Hamlet and Mac and we need some input from all of you. We don't know what to use as a trick "reward". The issue that we are running into is that we have small birdies and they need something really small, and tasty, that they can eat in one bite and not loose focus on the tricks that we are trying to train them on.

You would all think that sunflower seeds would be good to use, but, it takes a long time for them to open the seed, and they can't just eat the "meat" inside the seed in one bite ... anyone have any other suggestions?

~ :50:

Skysquawker

Apr 23, 2007
Texas
Parrots
White Eyed Conure--Shamus

Mitred Conure--Scarlet

Quakers--Kelly & Mr. Jingles

Tiels--Maria, Colonel and General

Green-cheek---Harley Bookins

Congos--Lucy and Bandit

American Keets--C
How about hulled sunflower seeds? I use chinese pumpkin seeds alot, but it takes more than one bit for them to eat it.

Shamus my White-eyed Conure will do things just for praise...silly praise I might add, have to make a fool of myself sometimes...:D

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
oh yeah Hamlet's like that too, have to make a big deal out of it for him ... but a treat does not hurt either ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Do they like millet? You can offer them a quick nibble on the millet when they've done what you are asking them to do. You would ideally need something they really love that you can keep only for training purposes.

Look forward to reading lots of updates on how you are all getting along with this. :D Maybe even see some video once they have mastered a few tricks. What sorts of tricks were you thinking of doing, (just wondering)

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Ok, everywhere that I have read (and this could of already be said, and is too early in the AM for me to have caught it)... anyways, I have been really looking into training and everywhere I have read stated that you should take their fav. food and take it completely out of their diet (with Mac and Ham you might have to use a diff treat)
I used peanuts. I took the peanut out of its shell and cut it up into tiny itty bitty peices (talking smaller than what you might get on an ice cream cone)
Now every time cricket did any thing remotely close to what I whated her to do I gave her a peice... she got the hit from there. After she did better at what I was asking her I only gave her a treat when she did what I asked.
Now I cant stress how you need to take your "treat" food out of there diet. When I moved back home I let my mother give cricket peanuts to let her warm up to the new place and new people... yeah big mistake... now that my mom has gone peanut happy :rolleyes: I cant get her to do what I want and now have to look for a knew treat.. i prolly could go back to peanuts, but I am telling you, anything that this bird ends up liking my mother will give her ten fold... spoiled rotten little *grumble* *grumble* LOL :09:

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Oh I forgot... blame it on the lack of coffee and the two jobs :D

I found this book that seems to have great trick and explains things in terms of "why" instead of just saying "this is what you do"
I dont know about you, but I need to see things in terms of why... like, for exsample, how I explained the treat out of diet thing... making any sence because I did mention that it was early and two jobs and no coffee right? lol

anyways it worth looking at:

The Click That Does the Trick: Trick Training Your Bird the Clicker Way

This one looked good too, but I didnt get it...

Parrot Training: A Guide to Taming and Gentling Your Avian Companion

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Try cutting up Hamlet's almonds. That would probably work.

You know what is funny, I think Hamlet knows what an almond is from sight ... I have slivered almonds (like you get in the baking isle in the grocery) and he won't touch them ... I don't understand it because he just devourers whole almonds ... :confused:

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
You know what is funny, I think Hamlet knows what an almond is from sight ... I have slivered almonds (like you get in the baking isle in the grocery) and he won't touch them ... I don't understand it because he just devourers whole almonds ... :confused:

let him watch you cut them up.... I am sure he is smart enough to figure out form there that they are still his almonds :)

Skysquawker

Apr 23, 2007
Texas
Parrots
White Eyed Conure--Shamus

Mitred Conure--Scarlet

Quakers--Kelly & Mr. Jingles

Tiels--Maria, Colonel and General

Green-cheek---Harley Bookins

Congos--Lucy and Bandit

American Keets--C

Hamlet sounds like a purest...:), with a sophisticated pallet. :D

Most Reactions