Trust building exercises?

OP
Ladyeclectic

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
Never thought about a mash, I may try that this afternoon with the apples I have. Perhaps even a little mash cupcake with some almond meal I have in the freezer.

My local Petsmart carries Zupreme (?) which I've heard good things about. I'd like to try Harrison's but can't find it locally so before I order online I'll try what I can pick up. I definitely want her on pellets (at least 75%) and will add them slowly to her diet.

OP
Ladyeclectic

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
So this afternoon Mishka got out of her cage and had a very thorough tour of my apartment before I finally trapped her beneath/within a towel and got her back inside. Now she's happily grinding away with her beak in her nighttime corner while I sit here staring at her we're both tired which is a good thing I guess: her wings aren't nearly as clipped as I thought so I'm going to have to be real careful letting her out, even if/when she let's me touch her.

I wish she wasn't quite so hand shy but am really really glad I didn't have to literally use my hands to get her in the cage this time. I chased her around a bit but mostly just followed when she flew around the house, talking softly and trying to get close. I've seen her scared and running before - this was more like an "I-don't-wanna" than an "I'm-gonna-die!!" kind of thing which is good.

Now she's staring at her new swing (the installation of which prompted her earlier flight) with a puzzled look. Should I stop tweaking her cage and just leave it? I think I have enough for her now, I just worry she may grow bored. I took some pictures on my phone today, hopefully I can get them online soon.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I would leave the cage first so she can settle in. It is a bit scary when they go flying, lots of things could have gone wrong. If you are going to let her fly then you need to make your home bird safe first. I know this happened by accident and believe me it will happen again. :D Here are just a fraction of things that you can do to make your home safe. Housing Considerations and Hazards The whole article is a good read but the part about household hazards is of importance.

How are things going? I also wanted to mention to you that you must just try the same fruit and veggies over and over again. If you go out and buy something else every time you will be broke before month end. :D They tend to not eat something that is unfamiliar so rotate the same for now.

How is the seed mixing going? Did you eat the fruit and showed her how delicious it is?

And yes, photos please.:D

OP
Ladyeclectic

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Mishka has her own little introduction thread now, complete with pictures! :D

http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/6550-taming-mishka-green-cheek-conure.html

Wildheart I haven't done the seed mash just yet, I wanted to wait until I had a good pellet mixture. I'm 2 for 2 on getting a bad bag of Zupreem; both times I opened up the bag only to find cobwebs (and a bug caught in the first webs!) INSIDE the bag. So I'm taking that bag back to Petsmart today, getting my money back, and buying a small bag of Harrison's from my local veterinarian. I'm still putting fresh apples in her cage each day so may just make a seed-pellet-applesauce concoction today for her fruit bowl.

Still a bit ticked by that Zupreem though. I doubt I'll have this problem with Harrisons (at least I really hope not!).

Most Reactions

Latest posts