Watch Me Grow

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Of those 2 I like the first one more. Definitely bigger than the second one. :) If you are considering a corner cage, they make those with 1" bar spacing, too, which I prefer for big macs.
A&E Cage X-Large Corner Cage | Great Companions
"

Good call, missed the bar spacing on that one. My only concern with the double (which is still my preference), is that I read when you take the divider out there is a larger gap in the middle. I haven't been able to find exactly how large this gap is, but I have read about people trying to stuff items (ie: news paper, pool noodles, ect) in the gap, which doesn't sound super efficient. Familiar with this at all?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, I am familiar with the gap. A long time ago I had a double macaw cage and kept my Amazons in there (WITH the divider). After losing my DYH I took the divider out, and Hunter (YN Amazon) would have never gotten through the little gap. :) So I know for sure a big mac couldn't either.

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Yes, I am familiar with the gap. A long time ago I had a double macaw cage and kept my Amazons in there (WITH the divider). After losing my DYH I took the divider out, and Hunter (YN Amazon) would have never gotten through the little gap. :) So I know for sure a big mac couldn't either.

Okay great; that is likely the route I will go!

So guys, any predictions on sex? My gut is saying female, but my gut has lied to me before!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Well, there's a 50% chance you are correct, LMAO! :D

No way to even guess at this age. With my luck I'll take the other 50% and will be wrong. :09:

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
YAYYY!!! Many congrats!!! :jumping40:jumping40

I'm SO excited for you! What a precious baby!! :heart:

Will you be able to visit him as he grows up? (I'll call him 'he' until we know otherwise, ok? I just can't call him an 'it'. Can't do that, a personal pet peeve of mine, LOL)

Doing the happy dance for you here:

Well, there's a 50% chance you are correct, LMAO! :D

No way to even guess at this age. With my luck I'll take the other 50% and will be wrong. :09:

Haha oh, I know. Just for fun!:red1:

Edit: okay why did it multi quote with the dancing baby? I knew that thing was creepy

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Wendy, those happy dances are pretty good.

Not a new picture, but here's one from when the baby was first posted for sale.

20zacdt.jpg

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Anyone with experience with the "double macaw cages"?

Maggie has a kings double macaw cage. Pulled out the divider. She's the only one using it. And no, the gap is not a problem.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Now THATS a baby!!! Holy Cow! lol...and look at the beaky already :11::54::p Can't wait to see her/him with some clothes on lol..Still a beautiful creature..congrats to you!!

Jim

cottontiel

Apr 8, 2016
Congratulations! I can't wait to see what's in store for the both of you. :)

One of my local bird stores has free-roaming green wing macaws and gosh they are just stunning. I'm always intimidated by that beak though, haha. :D

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Anyone with experience with the "double macaw cages"?

Maggie has a kings double macaw cage. Pulled out the divider. She's the only one using it. And no, the gap is not a problem.

Okay cool. That will be the plan then. Thanks!

Now THATS a baby!!! Holy Cow! lol...and look at the beaky already :11::54::p Can't wait to see her/him with some clothes on lol..Still a beautiful creature..congrats to you!!

Jim

Thank you! I know, that was my first thought. That's a big baby!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA

One of my local bird stores has free-roaming green wing macaws and gosh they are just stunning. I'm always intimidated by that beak though, haha. :D

Thanks. I can't wait either! I've been bitten enough over the years to not be too intimidated, but the beaks definitely demand some respect.

Hatch date was 3/9. The baby is one month old today!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Nah. Bite pressure train him as a baby and the beak never becomes an issue.

THESE ARE LAP BIRDS. feathered toddlers. Absolutely amazing birds to work with.

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA

Nah. Bite pressure train him as a baby and the beak never becomes an issue.

THESE ARE LAP BIRDS. feathered toddlers. Absolutely amazing birds to work with.

I am thrilled to embark on this lifelong journey. I've read most (if not all) of your macaw training/care threads, and I'm sure will be looking to you for advice down the road.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Happy to help...

I just want my big red bird back!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
I'm thinking of a diet something like this. Please let me know if I should change anything:

Zupreem large bird pellets available throughout the day.
Veggies in the morning before work: (carrots, peas, spinach, cucumbers, ect.)
Fruit in the afternoon after work: (blackberries, pineapple, apples, plums, bananas, ect.)
A few nuts scattered throughout the day as treats. (suggestion on nut mix vs individual shelled nuts?)

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
Pearl, Female, Cockatiel: Penelope
Congratulations on your green wing! I bet he/she will grow up in a nice, loving home! ;)

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
So with the long wait at hand, I figure I'll get something every week or two to hold me over through August. Most of these things will be toys, a book, a playstand, the cage, pellets, ect. However since it's early, figured I'd get something for myself...

Bird nerd
1zwzsd0.jpg

SUPER bird nerd... might have to limit this one to around the house lol.
2nsujrc.jpg

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Love the first one!! Second one is nice, too! Be proud of who you are. Nothing wrong with being a bird nerd!! I guarantee you'll get a ton of compliments if you wear either of those shirts out! ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions