Watch Me Grow

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Love the first one!! Second one is nice, too! Be proud of who you are. Nothing wrong with being a bird nerd!! I guarantee you'll get a ton of compliments if you wear either of those shirts out! ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Maybe it'll strike a conversation with another bird lover. Don't know many!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

You've come to the right place...

Having just lost a 17 year old uber-bonded greenwing macaw, I can say with absolute certainty, these birds will STEAL YOUR HEART!

There is a poem called "Nobody told me." I posted it somewhere on this site a long time ago. I suggest you google it, because THAT is what you have just gotten yourself into...

Take care of this little one!!!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA

You've come to the right place...

Having just lost a 17 year old uber-bonded greenwing macaw, I can say with absolute certainty, these birds will STEAL YOUR HEART!

There is a poem called "Nobody told me." I posted it somewhere on this site a long time ago. I suggest you google it, because THAT is what you have just gotten yourself into...

Take care of this little one!!!

I had hints, I had advice, I had cautions, but nobody told me how owning birds would completely take over my life.
Nobody told me I'd become a bird store junky, standing at the checkout counter in bliss until half way home and then wondering just how long it would be before the Visa came in or husband asked for the check book to balance the account.

Nobody told me my husband would say, "I think you ought to stay away from the bird store. You seem to have lost all control".

Hmmmm ... Me? How did this happen?

Nobody told me when I saw a particular cage for $595.00 I might think wow that IS a good deal. Or when someone mentioned a $4,000.00 cage I could see the reason some people might need a cage like that.

Nobody told me that I would be up at 7:00am on Sunday morning peeling yams and apples to cook so they would be added into a corn meal and wheat cereal mash.

Nobody told me I wouldn't mind when feeding that mash to my bird he would head shake his head with that mixture flying in every direction, on to my carpet, on to my clothes, on to my face.

Nobody told me how much money I would spend on food, how much of it I would buy and just how little my birds would like any of it.

Nobody mentioned that once you own birds you need an extra freezer in the garage.

Nobody told me that I would spend an hour standing with my hand on a tree branch watching for hawks so my bird could hang out in the sun and chew new buds.

Nobody told me I would be on the computer at all hours talking and reading about birds.

Nobody told me I would make friends I will never see and that I would worry about them and theirs as if family.

Nobody told me I would check my son's bed for old or damaged stuffed animals to give to the bird like that stuffed cat. He never really liked it and it is missing a leg anyway.

Nobody told me I would do two extra loads of laundry a week with bird towels and sheets. Nobody told me every morning I would put a sheet over my covers, litter my bed with weird wooden things, stuffed animals, leather pieces, apple slices and peanuts.

Nobody told me just how much he would squawk. Nobody told me I would come to hear differences in the tone and shrillness. Nobody told me I not only could tell the difference but would learn when to respond or that my husband would say it's okay, this is his good morning happy time he will settle down.

Nobody could have known that my husband would say, so he squawks it is less and less the kids will deal with it.

Nobody told me I could play with him like I do. That he would chase me and I would chase him. That he would be just as exuberant as a puppy.

Nobody told me my husband would rather snuggle with the bird in the morning than make his bagel.

Nobody told my husband would make an extra half a bagel to share with the birds.

Nobody could have convinced me that this same husband would agree to shower with the birds in the bathroom (for the steam) and then without urging, could be heard to play peek-a-boo while drying off.

Nobody told me how much I would sing out loud. Nobody could have guessed those songs would be golden oldies like You Are My Sunshine or songs from musicals.

Nobody told how excited I would get to come home after 6 hrs. and see seed thrown all over the place. Yea! He ate while I was gone.

Nobody told me that I would not resent vacuuming twice a day to clean up the mess he made while eating alone. Nobody told me how my heart would tighten when I got home today after being gone for six hours and took my squawking baby out.

Nobody told me how I would feel when sooo tired I put out a sheet on the floor, put toys all over, grabbed a pillow for me, lay down and my birdy only wanted to snuggle with me.

Nobody told me how it would feel to have a little bird body across your chest and neck, little head on your cheek. I was not told how soft his kisses would be or how warm his face was as he fell asleep on my cheek cooing softly.

Nobody told me how long I would lay there awake so he could sleep.

Everybody told me I would love him. Nobody could tell me how much.

Is that the one, Mark? I hold high hope that you will get to continue all these things with Maggie. It breaks my heart reading it; I can't imagine experiencing it.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I do not know how it is possible to love a damned bird this much! But I do...

Give it about 17 years... you'll see!

THIS IS FRIGGIN' KILLING ME....

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
Your baby is so adorable! I understand the addiction well. We would love another macaw but our foster was a screamer and my husband has very sensitive ears so it may never happen ��

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I'm thinking of a diet something like this. Please let me know if I should change anything:

Zupreem large bird pellets available throughout the day.
Veggies in the morning before work: (carrots, peas, spinach, cucumbers, ect.)
Fruit in the afternoon after work: (blackberries, pineapple, apples, plums, bananas, ect.)
A few nuts scattered throughout the day as treats. (suggestion on nut mix vs individual shelled nuts?)

Looks good to me. As far as Nuts go. I buy individual . Walnut, Almond , Brazil. Nuts.com is the best place I have found so far.

I also keep Banana chips and dried fruit on hand

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Your baby is so adorable! I understand the addiction well. We would love another macaw but our foster was a screamer and my husband has very sensitive ears so it may never happen ��

I hear you. Their voices are no joke!

I'm thinking of a diet something like this. Please let me know if I should change anything:

Fruit in the afternoon after work: (blackberries, pineapple, apples, plums, bananas, ect.)
A few nuts scattered throughout the day as treats. (suggestion on nut mix vs individual shelled nuts?)

Looks good to me. As far as Nuts go. I buy individual . Walnut, Almond , Brazil. Nuts.com is the best place I have found so far.

Thank you so much, that is very helpful!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA

Nuts.com has in-shell Walnuts, Almonds, Filberts, Pecans, and Brazils combo. Any reason you don't go that route?

https://nuts.com/nuts/mixednuts/in-the-shell.html

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
So, It is very likely that I will go with the Prevue cage:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-Silverado-Dometop-3155S/dp/B000TZ3P6W/]Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Silverado Macaw Dometop Cage 3155S Silverado 46-Inch by 36-Inch by 78-1/4-Inch : Macaw Bird Cage : Pet Supplies[/ame]

46-Inch by 36-Inch by 78-1/4-Inch
While I will be sacrificing length, there is gained height and width (front to back) with a better footprint. Saving 300 dollars will leave me extra cash for other goodies for the baby.

Any advice on stands? These two caught my eye, but I've just begun searching:

Java Wood Tabletop Playstands: Bird Playstands from DrsFosterSmith.com

Bird Playstands: Caitec Corporation Large Play Tower for Birds

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots

Nuts.com has in-shell Walnuts, Almonds, Filberts, Pecans, and Brazils combo. Any reason you don't go that route?

I just do not like the mix. Walnuts , almonds Brazil are what I buy because that is what he likes .

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I just do not like the mix. Walnuts , almonds Brazil are what I buy because that is what he likes .

Mine throw the Brazil nuts. I should pick those out and send them to you... :D For me, it's cashews, walnuts, pecans, and pistacios... same deal. Why pay good money for food they're just gonna toss?!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA

Mine throw the Brazil nuts. I should pick those out and send them to you... :D For me, it's cashews, walnuts, pecans, and pistacios... same deal. Why pay good money for food they're just gonna toss?!

Sounds like it will be a little trial and error then!
Thanks guys.

My GW will be fully weaned when I receive him, but is there any reason to wait on certain nuts (particularly brazil nuts), as I know these are very hard.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Try the mix its the only / cheapest way to find out what he likes.

Hazel nuts are just something to aim at the dog in my house. He was getting to good at hitting them . I just don't even try them anymore . Poor Dogs

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Try the mix its the only / cheapest way to find out what he likes.

Hazel nuts are just something to aim at the dog in my house. He was getting to good at hitting them . I just don't even try them anymore . Poor Dogs

It's the perfect throwing sized nut...

Mine will eat them, but they're not the favorites.

The only nut that really gets consistently chucked around here are the Brazil nuts. I just quit buying the mixes for that reason. I make my own mixes now from a couple of pounds of this, and few pounds of that...

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So, It is very likely that I will go with the Prevue cage:
Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Silverado Macaw Dometop Cage 3155S Silverado 46-Inch by 36-Inch by 78-1/4-Inch : Macaw Bird Cage : Pet Supplies

46-Inch by 36-Inch by 78-1/4-Inch
While I will be sacrificing length, there is gained height and width (front to back) with a better footprint. Saving 300 dollars will leave me extra cash for other goodies for the baby.

Any advice on stands? These two caught my eye, but I've just begun searching:

Java Wood Tabletop Playstands: Bird Playstands from DrsFosterSmith.com

Bird Playstands: Caitec Corporation Large Play Tower for Birds

My GW systematically chews up my expensive Java trees. :( As beautiful as they are (new), I would not buy one again for a big mac with a can opener attached to his face. I'd make my own.

DNA results are back...

I HAVE A BABY BOY!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

Now you need to pick a name. :)

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
I will definitely start with the mixed nuts and find out!

Wendy,
thanks for the heads up with the java. I am not really familiar with how tough that wood is, but I guess there aren't many things that are macaw-proof.

Here is the list of boys names I had come up with over the past few weeks. Please, everyone let me know your favorites (or least favorites).

Iverson
Thunder
Tsunami
Rummy
Mako
Captain
Forest
Kalani (Hawaiian for “from the heavens”)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
"TROUBLE" is always a good big mac name...

THOR... (The god of thunder.)

ZEUS...

APOLLO...

TIKI...

FLAME...

BUBBA...

RICO...

RUSTY...

Most Reactions