Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm sorry you had that experience at first. You're right, she needs to either learn her job along with some common sense quick or find a new line of work.

Anyway, I'm glad you saw the tech and vet that you wanted to see, and that you have a solid plan. Sorry to hear about the airsaculitis and upcoming surgery! I am just glad it was caught and diagnosed. Hopefully after this is dealt with, the hormonal stuff will die down too. At any rate, sounds like you have a good vet who is confident about what to do.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
First thing's first:

KUDOS to you for speaking up! You pay for your visit, you have the right to be treated with THE most utmost respect, to be not only listened to, but to be HEARD!

Tracey, I am SO happy you listened to your gut and took Venus to the vet TODAY. We all know how quickly our fids can go downhill, and thank God you've got her on a treatment for her respiratory infection!!

I've heard of this particular surgery before, and think you have a really confident and competent vet to suggest and to actually perform it. IMO it will make a WORLD of difference.

Venus will pull through this. I feel it in my heart. She knows how much you love her, how well you care for her, and how much you need each other. :)

More of these....for both of you (but gently for Miss Venus cause I don't want my digits removed)

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
One more thing! The vet is updating his website and asked if they could put Pics of Venus on it. I said they could so I'll send a link once they have the site ready. They took photos of her today. The camera man, new to birds, got to interact with Venus. He was smiling, she is a sweetheart for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Ah, Tracey. This has been quite the journey for you and Venus, hasn't it? I'm so sorry she's dealing with pneumonia this time. It's a good thing that she has a mom who pays attention to her instincts and got her in on time.

I'm glad the vet thinks he's found the issue behind her ongoing respiratory issues. It would be beautiful if this surgery could finally close the door on this problem once and for all.

Could this impacted sinus be the reason why Venus scratched that small bare spot over one of her nares? Did the vet say one way or the other?

As for the tech... wow. She sounds like a real piece of work. It's ridiculous you had to deal with that nonsense on top of everything else. But you handled it well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Could this impacted sinus be the reason why Venus scratched that small bare spot over one of her nares? Did the vet say one way or the other?

I researched the bald spot and it's due to the infection but yes the infection is definitely the reason for the bald spot. Here is a pic from last August when the bald spot was completely gone, then it creeped back.

As for the tech, working in healthcare I have a very low tolerance for antics when it comes to treating patients. Patients are counting on you, we are all human, not perfect, but when treating someone, give that individual your undivided attention. At one hospital I worked at they did awards recognizing people for good work, they made an award for me, the "Barney Fife" award (Nip it in the bud!), lol!!!! Yes I'm tough on patient security.

ee6d97855dac94f32984bc63a82dd132.jpg

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Well done for speaking up and being assertive. Dont think that tech has long left in employment do you? Hope the dummy eggs work for Venus. Hoping all goes well with the surgery for Venus, I'm sure it will be totally nerve racking for you.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
I made a mistake tonight, I showered then sat down with Venus to feed her. I ended up washing up again after feeding her. She still will not eat on her own so I have continued to feed her by hand to make sure she's eating. Tonight though she was trying very hard to feed me back so I ended up with food in my hair, nearly in my ear. And regardless of having her on a towel, she got a hold of my t-shirt and thoroughly cleaned her beak. Glad I can be of service Veenie!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Tracey, please forgive me, I missed this thread when it was new and just had a chance to read everything. I'm sorry poor Venus has gone through so much. Hugs and hope to you and your sweetheart.

Thank you for the side story about one of my fave canines! Gypsy sends her love to Canelo.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Well I've been wearing my angry face today and took the day off to deal with the medicine situation for Venus. We still haven't gotten her medicine. The pharmacy that the scripts were sent to is a compound pharmacy only open M-F 8-5 and I've spoken to them daily. Monday through Wednesday, the pharmacy called the vet office and left a daily message for a callback. Yesterday I called the vet office and left a message for the tech to call the pharmacy. There was a dosing question.

Medicine is ready today so I go to the pharmacy and I worked with the pharmacist and the tech for 30 minutes because when they were showing me how to dispense it, there were issues with the syringe, adapter and barrel. No injections but we watched the entire dispensed dosage go from 1.4 ccs, dropping to 1.2 ccs, all due to air in the mixture. So the pharmacy wouldn't release the med, and I'm good with that but the pharmacy closes at 5pm today. The pharmacy staff are wonderful and I'm going to take Venus with me to pick up the med so they can meet their patient.

I did go to the vet office and had a face to face with the tech because if the med is not ready today, I wanted to make sure we have a plan B and we do. I can't believe the hurdles that have come up around this.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's frustrating to say the very least. I'm sorry you've had to go through all this. It sounds like things are finally working out. I'm sure the pharmacy will be thrilled to meet their patient :).

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Got her meds (YAY), and the two dummy eggs I ordered. I busted out laughing when I opened the package. They are a little huge. I've placed them in her box and so far she is OK with them. I'm holding onto her eggs just in case. Here is a picture, the dirty eggs are Venus', the larger eggs are the dummy eggs.

dfba16e20f3ce03141c6b5d6a36412bc.jpg

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Those eggs are comical, tracey!

I'm missing something here though, what med is she getting?? I may not be the most detailed oriented person cause I can't can't find any reference in these prior posts to specifically why she's getting meds, unless it's for the infection. Sorry, little thick tonight.

Last edited:
OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Calcium Gluconate .1 ml once a day for the calcium depletion, 14 day supply and they dispensed 1.4 ML. The second med is Enrofloxacin .1 ml once a day for the respiratory infection and pneumonia and they dispensed 1.4 ML. Both are suspensions. The daily dose is so small but for both I have to mix both, then transfer to a syringe. I'm giving it to her orally but the process they gave me isn't so great. My first try, I wasted about .2 ml when I was pulling the med into the barrel of the 1 cc syringe and the syringe came loose releasing the med, that was 2 doses I'll request more next week.

Here is what I was given. Using the 10 cc syringes with the red connector (small, red, plastic square), connect them and push the med back and forth to mix. Then disconnect the syringes and red connector. Connect the white connecter to the 10 cc syringe with the med, then attach the 1 cc syringe and push .1 ml into the 1 cc syringe then administer to Venus orally. I think they made it more complicated than it needs to be. To me it seems easier to place the meds in bottles, shake to mix then use the 1 cc syringe to pull the dose. Thoughts?

09b8599b8201ea1071c4fca1ac8f77bc.jpg

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Are these meds refrigerated?
My only thought is why it's complicated is to preserve efficacy.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
The only thing I found is baytril can bind to calcium and not to give with dairy.
But I didn't see much about dosing so I have no idea. I can't say I've ever given it in a suspension myself- only pills, powder, or injectable.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
That sounds more complicated than necessary to me as well, Tracey. Maybe there's some mediciney reason why it would be necessary to do so, but I never had to do anything remotely like that.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
The meds are refrigerated, I agree with you Doublete, I think it's to preserve efficacy. Tonight went better and I changed it a bit. I mixed the the suspensions but before I pushed the dose into the 1 cc syringe from the 10 cc syringe, I applied .1 ml of air, then attached the adapter, then pushed the air out so the med was at the opening of the adapter where I connected the 1 cc syringe. I believe the issue was air catching in the adapter so tonight by removing it before attaching the 1 cc syringe, I was able to apply an accurate dose without wasting or loosing any of the med from leakage. Thankfully Venus is easy when taking meds.

Oh, and her very large dummy eggs, lol, she's ok with them but they are so large she can't sit on both at the same time, nor one by itself. So far she's doing good with them. I'm trying to get a pick of her trying to sit on them because it is quite comical and cute. Also last night, she did not want me to feed her, she protected her food bowl so I'm hoping this is a start to this period ending.

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
For those curious about what a female ekkie's posture looks like when she wants to mate, here it is. I call it the pancake. Venus flattens, spreads her body flat and raises her tush. This is her this morning and no one had touched her.

7ccb48cfb7c06084b0a0ffbd298c31ef.jpg

This has been Ruby for almost two freaking weeks. Her egg is still developing and hasn't dropped yet.

I got ahold of her old owner and they said she lays two eggs every six months and was never egg bound so at least I know she is capable and this isn't the result of such a drastic diet change.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
This has been Ruby for almost two freaking weeks. Her egg is still developing and hasn't dropped yet.

I got ahold of her old owner and they said she lays two eggs every six months and was never egg bound so at least I know she is capable and this isn't the result of such a drastic diet change.

How is Miss Ruby doing? Venus is being finicky about eating on her own.

Most Reactions

Latest posts