OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
axax00ax0ax0ax0ax really ?

i sit there and try to ignoring her with my laptop lol :D

that really weird , she's very stubborn , now its 8:47 am she wake me up :) i just change her water , cuz still there is the mixed pellets there

should i change them ? she just pickup the sunflower

janiners305

Jan 9, 2015
If there is mixed pellets in the water, change it. That is a good sign that she tried to eat the pellets. She probably tried to soften them by putting them in the water.

Just keep being in the same room as her. She will continue to watch you. Talk to her in a low voice, without going directly up to her cage.

OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
he still afread and scared every time i be near his cage , but for now he eat when i am near , but if he saw me there near the cage he just change his place

also when he saw my hand in cage he be like a crazy , for now he is with me since 1 week , and still not accept me or any new food :) love apple - sunflower - strawberry

btw what u mean "Your leftover pellets are still good" ?

janiners305

Jan 9, 2015
I think he means the pellets in the dish are still good. You don't have to change that dish, just the water dish.

If the bird is eating when you are near, that's a good thing. But it freaks out when you get too close to the cage, because that is her safe spot. When your hand goes in the cage, she sees it as an invader.

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
From what you described I do not think that you have a hand reared bird, but basically a wild one who is not used to human interaction. If this is the case it is going to take a while to tame her. It could take months and lots and lots of interaction before she will even sit on your hand. You can NOT get frustrated or impatient if you want to win her trust. And in this case, I would suggested you have her wings clipped as I don't see how you will be able to handle her otherwise. Unless you want a situation like the other day when it took hours of chasing and bribing to get her back in the cage. Work on a time table that is dictated by what is comfortable for her.

OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
so should i force her and catch her to clipped her wings ?
then i let her go out every day ?!
a friend of mine have one IRN from same petshop
also i think both was in same cage
in 2 weeks his parrot friendly with all humans
even me when i go and saw him i catch him and play with him
but , he force him to let him out of cage then he put him on my hand , and he was so friendly :)

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Unfortunately I do not have enough experience with a wild bird (if that is what she is) to give you the right advise here. But in my opinion I struggle to see how you will be able to handle a unclipped wild bird. Please, under no circumstances try to do this yourself without experience as you can cripple her for life if you do this wrong!! It has to be done by am experienced professional!

However, if this is a handreared bird, the approach should be vastly different though. Then she just needs the time to settle in and see that she can trust you before attempting to handle her.

But we first need to know if this is a wild bird or a hand reared bird?

Last edited:
OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
how can i know if she is a wild or reared ? but from what i know i think she's wild ... cuz i buy her abut 40$ and she was with other 2 from same type in same cage , and the idiot shop just feed them with sunflower
so here i want to know is it possible to tame her and let her being a friendly and cute bird ? if not i'll sell her or let her go to the wild
BUT she starting eat apple - strawberry and when i leave her alone in room , she start Whistle not always sometime

and when i get her out to balkon for sun , she start trying to open doors dunno really

Last edited:
OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
image.jpg

what that mean ? she set like that her head down

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
so here i want to know is it possible to tame her and let her being a friendly and cute bird ? if not i'll sell her or let her go to the wild

:mad: :mad: Seriously?

I believe your expectations are MUCH too high, and you are not making enough efforts to tame your bird, or to have her gain your trust.

OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
trust me i am doing my best , also i wish if she can be like i want

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Jado , I understand that you are trying, bit unfortunately it is time for some harsh truths. This poor bird did not ask to be put in a cage. We humans put them there. You went into parrot owning without doing any research, bought her without finding out if she was tame or not, not knowing what to feed her etc.

If she is not the way you want her it is because you did not do your homework. Even a tame bird will always stay a wild creature. Would you capture a wild bird out on the street and expect it to willingly come to you within days? Yet you expect it from your wild parrot?

The worst part is that if you were to release her into the wild, she probably does not have the skills to look after herself, how and where to find food, etc. Basically that would be a death sentence.

If you do not have the patience and knowledge to tame this bird, then it would be better to find her someone who does. But please, at least make sure that she then goes to a home that has the skills to deal with a untamed bird.

If you decide to keep her, then please start doing a lot of research, and understand that it is a long road ahead with many small steps forward and many steps back.

I am sorry for being harsh, but this is probably a very scared little bird in a unknown enviroment, caged and dependant on someone whom she does not know if they want to eat her or not. Put yourself in her position and ask yourself if you would feel like being all cuddly in that situation. [emoji22]

At every point in your relationship with this bird, you have to ask yourself what is the best thing to do for her. Not you. This is a creature with real feelings you decided to take responsibility for. Please do what is best for her.

OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
thanks miloslave , i am really interasting to be a breeder also i am looking to be IRN company , thats why i am asking much here and thats why i am really worry abut this bird , and i have all time to tame with her and make her the best irn ever , but i need some help step by step

OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
hello guys , i want a weekly list for kiwi , i try to put many vegies but she dont eat them i try to make a mix seed and vegies she just pickup the seed , i made mix pellets and little amount seeds she pickup seeds , i made mix apple pear and pellets with water then i drop the water , she picked the apple only ,

today morning i wake up in her sound i try to keep sleeping , i saw her pickup the colorfull pellets from bowl and drop them down in cage , trying many diffrent veigs she dont eat them !!!!! should i make mixed sweet botatos with some vegies and fruit ?

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Jado if you let a tame bird loose it will die. At least if you don't keep it give it away. It takes time. I got mine weeks ago and I'm still taming them.

Last edited:
OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
she is not a tame bird , she scared much whole day try to get out from cage , i offer many food she dont eat anything , just apple sunflower , also i dont saw her drink water i really want make the best for her

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
thanks miloslave , i am really interasting to be a breeder also i am looking to be IRN company , thats why i am asking much here and thats why i am really worry abut this bird , and i have all time to tame with her and make her the best irn ever , but i need some help step by step

Please do NOT even think about breeding any birds for a VERY long time. You do not have the experience OR the knowledge/ understanding of birds yet. Breeding is not just a "fun" thing to do, or a good way to make money. It is a LOT of work and requires a LOT of knowledge. PLEASE re-think this.

mamamacaw

Feb 18, 2015
Maybe you need to research info on basic, beginner care for birds. Then you'll have a better idea of what is normal behavior. Slow down and get to know Kiwi. My first bird was a macaw and though it was difficult, we survived and have been best friends for 20 years now.:blue1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions