OP
UrbanLegend711

UrbanLegend711

Aug 13, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Parrots
2012 Yellow-side Green-cheeked conure

Timneh African grey
Thanks guys. I'm working on my patience. It's very hard to be so hands off, but for now I'm letting Baby just get used to my presence and being allowed to come out and go back into the cage on his/her own terms. I'm worried that the vet visit on Tuesday will set the progress back...I'm sure it will. Baby needs a thorough check-up as well as toenails, beak and wings trimmed. I'm sure it won't be fun, but Baby should feel a lot better after....he/she can't climb properly with such overgrown nails.

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
Thanks so much for caring...Baby needs your love and affection. Gloves can be very intimidating to parrots. It's wonderful that Baby came out. Greys are very curious. If you continue to be gentle, you will win Baby's trust.

OP
UrbanLegend711

UrbanLegend711

Aug 13, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Parrots

Timneh African grey
Baby has made incredible progress- he's been coming out every night and exploring, and two days ago he flew away from my fiance but let me carry him back to the cage perched on the edge of a bowl....and he let me pet his back!!! It was amazing...he is so soft and sleek. :)

Last night we finally had our vet visit. Baby behaved wonderfully- he was a bit uneasy and squawked at first but settled down and let the vet trim his toenails and shave his beak easily. We also found out that someone in Baby's past was a smoker, as he has degraded papillae on the roof of his mouth and a vitamin A and C deficiency. The treatment for now is yogurt, 40% of his diet as dark leafy greens and we are to give grapes and strawberries as treats. This should hopefully help with the vitamin deficiency. He will go back to the vet for a checkup in one month, and have his wings clipped (he's in molt now), along with more beak shaping.

Baby is also talking a lot to us. He says a bunch of things, some clear, some garbled. He talks to the tv, saying "you're welcome" when people say "thank you" and "hello" to characters as they come on screen, lol. He also tells us to "go to bed" at night and "good morning" when we get up. He also says, "uh-oh" when he drops stuff or when he knows he's going to get scooted back into the cage. He's so adorable!

wolf0994

Apr 10, 2012
North Pole, Alaska
Parrots
Kawie, 16 year old Congo African Grey
That is fantastic news. It is nice to hear he is transitioning so well so fast. I am a tad jealous that you got to pet his back. I have yet to be able to touch Kawie anywhere other than his beak still. Congrats, I am sure it will only improve from here!

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
I've never read up on smoking damage with birds.....Chloe lived in a trailer for the past 15 years with a smoker....I guess that will be brought up when we go in for nails and blood work up. Thanks for mentioning that!!!!

OP
UrbanLegend711

UrbanLegend711

Aug 13, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Parrots

Timneh African grey
Yeah, apparently secondhand smoke is very damaging for birds. :( Baby has not been exposed to it for about 10 years and there was still signs of damage.

I have some really amazing, exciting news!! Baby has been coming along wonderfully, letting us pet his feet through the bars and walking over close to us when we stand next to the cage. I found out by accident that he loves the dogs' metal food bowl. If the bowl is anywhere near him, he will fly to it and stand on the rim, so it makes a great "step up" training tool. Baby will step right up onto the bowl from just about anywhere. John thought that since he's in molt, it might be good to see if he'd like to splash in some water, so we got him onto the bowl and took him into the master bathroom.

Well, Baby was just fascinated with the mirror and kept walking around the edge of the bowl and watching his reflection move. ...before we knew it he'd sidled right onto John's arm. So he lowered the bowl...and he was holding Baby! Baby seemed a bit confused but went along with it. By putting my arm behind Baby, I was able to get him to back onto it and then I was able to hold him!! It was amazing...he's heavier than I thought he'd be and he is sooo beautiful that close up. :)

After a few minutes, John tried to get him back to the bowl, but I guess he got spooked, because he flew...and landed on John's shoulder! They both looked really startled and uneasy of the other. LOL. Baby sat there for a bit, and when John asked me to get him back to the bowl, he flew to my shoulder. So I carried him around a bit and then back down to let him clamber onto his cage. I am sooo thrilled and amazed at Baby's progress!! I never thought I'd be able to hold him this soon. :)

E2AC98B8-BFC7-4044-A216-A5C00610C13B-2195-000002E195D60C3A.jpg

0D217FBF-5305-484A-8E1B-58120973EF3B-2195-000002E19E2272D6.jpg

7AC2E43F-B71D-4B65-AE74-CC2B0F5498A8-2195-000002E1BA8EF469.jpg

BBC8A782-7FCE-4FA1-AA77-AD000ADD4789-2195-000002E1A82AEAD2.jpg

AA57D132-AC10-4BA7-B35A-C245EE8B881D-2195-000002E1BCF13281.jpg

Davinchi

Mar 11, 2011
Media
Duluth, MN
Parrots
Paco: Yellow Naped Amazon
Congrats on the progress. It's almost like you had her for her whole life. It's amazing what a little love and attention can accomplish!

wolf0994

Apr 10, 2012
North Pole, Alaska
Parrots
Kawie, 16 year old Congo African Grey
I am so happy for your progress. I felt that same joy when I got to hold Kawie by accidental circumstances like that. I havent gotten to since but it was wonderful when I did. Congrats to you guys!

OP
UrbanLegend711

UrbanLegend711

Aug 13, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Parrots

Timneh African grey
Thanks. I'm trying to keep up the progress by having him step up onto the bowl and back onto my arm at least every other night, but if he gets really nervous I let him back to the cage. He seems to be ok with being on my arm and shoulder for about 10-15 minutes, then he gets antsy. I'm working on giving him treats while he's on me now so that he hopefully associates handling with fun and food.

I can't believe how well he's doing though- he's an awesome bird and just full of character. It's amazing how intelligent he is, and his funny little voice seems to chime in with just the right thing to say to make me chuckle!

OP
UrbanLegend711

UrbanLegend711

Aug 13, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Parrots

Timneh African grey
Oh boy, this has been a very exciting weekend for Baby and I!

John, my fiance, had to go down to VA to help his mom and stepdad with their truck, so I was planning a relaxing weekend by myself at home with the animals, watching cheesy horror movies and eating seafood. Well, I got home Friday to a kitchen flooded with water. One of my rotten kitties had gotten the faucet in the sink turned sideways and turned it on, so it poured onto the counter and ran down onto the floor.....there was a puddle all through the kitchen and seeping into the carpet in the living room. Baby was making a running water sound and saying, "Uh-oh!" Water seeped down through the floor into the garage too, so I spent all night running the wet/dry vacuum and rug shampooer. My sick bush vipers were getting worse, and a friend of mine got really mad that I'd gone to Al for help rather than him so he chewed me out, which really hurt. I was crying and exhausted a mess. I sat on the couch and cried, and Baby looked at me, and whistled mournfully, then said, "You ok?" My mouth dropped open...it just made my day. I wanted to hug that sweet bird! I told him that yes, I was ok now and thanked him and gave him a treat. So awesome.
I practiced having him step up onto the bowl and then back onto my arm many times, all while talking soothingly. If I talk softly to him while he's nervous, he seems to calm down and talks back to me. We did this for 5-10 minutes Saturday and Sunday, and Baby was stepping up realiably. At first he would flap his wings, and say "Can't. Can't. No" but I softly told him he was a good boy and he could do it, it was ok, he was safe, so when he got onto my arm, he said, "OOhhhhhhh", like he was realizing it was ok. (I know he probably doesn't really know what he is saying, but he says things in the perfect context at the right times...sometimes I'd swear we're having a conversation).

John got home and yesterday he wanted to work with Baby. He got the bowl and put it up to Baby when he was on top of his cage, but Baby said "no" and ran away from him, lol. John followed and Baby growled. Baby flew away out of the living room, and the dogs chased him...John hadn't bothered to put them upstairs. So I hear John yelling at the dog, and Baby squawking and growling...I ran in to find John holding Rory back with a leg, and holding onto the back end of Baby with one hand while trying to get him onto the bowl with the other..>Grrr.. Baby HATES being grabbed and he was terrified. I yelled at John and told him he cannot ever grab at Baby...he needs to never be threatened by our hands or we'll undo all the progress. I made John hold the dog and back off, and I told Baby it was ok, and let him get a comfortable grip on the table before presenting the bowl and saying "it's ok. Step up,": He got right onto the bowl and walked onto my arm. John's jaw dropped, lol. (poor John. I think he was jealous, I felt badly, but he shouldnt' have grabbed at Baby). I took Baby upstairs to the bedroom and he sat on my arm, looking all around and whistling and saying, "ooooh. Ohhhh" at all the new sights.
I saw that he had ruffled up wing feathers, so I told him I was just going to smooth them, and I gently reached to stroke them smooth......and he let me! No biting. He said, "ohhhh" and I said, "good Baby. see, I won't hurt you" I tried then to scratch the feathers behind his head, and he tensed, but then leaned into it and bobbed his head up and down. I told him what a good boy he was and pet him gently for a few minutes. I called John up to show him and see if Baby would go to him, but Baby flew away behind the bed and wouldn't come out until John left. JOhn was cleaning up from dinner, so he said I could deal with getting Baby out from under the bed...as soon as he left, Baby came trotting right out when I called him, lol. I got him back on his bowl, then my arm, then he scooted up my chest and pressed his face under my chin.
free-love-smileys-924.gif
I just completely melted and teared up, I was so happy. Heck, my eyes are getting teary just writing this; I'm such a sap. It was amazing, and I talked to Baby and gently pet him until he seemed calm, then slowly walked downstairs and let him step off of me back into his cage.

I went to bed with a HUGE grin....I never in a million years thought I'd be scratching his head and stroking him just three weeks in! He's amazing and I love him sooo much. :)
grin2.gif

Davinchi

Mar 11, 2011
Media
Duluth, MN
Parrots
Paco: Yellow Naped Amazon
That is very inspiring story for everyone who adopts or rescues a Grey that they don't know the history on. Anything is possible with a little love!

OP
UrbanLegend711

UrbanLegend711

Aug 13, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Parrots

Timneh African grey
Thanks guys! Baby is an amazing animal, and I feel very blessed to have him in my life. Last night he sat with me on the couch while I watched tv and fell asleep snuggled on my chest. It is thrilling to see him getting more at ease with me and accepting my touch more. :)

OP
UrbanLegend711

UrbanLegend711

Aug 13, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Parrots

Timneh African grey
He's tolerating John's presence nearby and will sit on John if he is coerced into backing up onto his arm (without noticing whose arm it is). But he will still growl and try to bite if John reaches to pet him or offers an arm. I just need Baby to be ok with John working with him enough to let John get him out to clean the cage and feed him and water him if I happen to be away. I am going to visit my parents this weekend, so I will be gone Friday night - Sunday afternoon. I don't mind that Baby trusts me more, but I would like him to at least accept John.

I've seen Baby playing with his toys finally! Most of the things I put in there now have chunks missing and scratches all over, showing that he's been chewing on them and pulling them. I'm thrilled; Baby had no toys for the past 10+ years, so it's great to see him opening up and playing again. He's becoming more and more of a normal parrot every day. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts