A New Bird Mommy

GraciesMommy

Jan 23, 2017
Parrots
25 year old Umbrella Cockatoo named Gracie
I just took in a 25 year old abused and neglected cockatoo. Her name is Gracie and she is an Umbrella Cockatoo. She's been here a week and she has been a little sweetie so far, although she is very timid. She does let me pet her on the head but refuses to come out of her cage.
Just hoping to get some tips here and meet some fellow bird mommies and daddies!

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
Welcome and good on you.

The first advice anyone here will give you is to let her work at her pace. She's had a rough life from the sounds of it and it seems that she's still hopeful that you're going to do better.

But she's scared to trust and get let down. So you're gonna have to work with her and prove to her that she's safe and loved. She'll come out of her cage when she's ready. Right now it's her only safe space.

Try to be her for a moment: you've had a bad, unhappy life, and now a new person has taken you to a new home and even though your old home was crap, you knew what to expect. But now this new person is new and you don't her her and maybe she's going to be really nice or maybe she's a bad person too!

All of that said, if you want to see what an abused Cockatoo can become, lookup Gotcha the Cockatoo on youtube. (This is one of my favorites: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5GIa606m0E"]*SUBITITLED* what the heck was that?! 😂 - YouTube[/ame])

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, and thanks so much for adopting an abused and neglected cockatoo! While you know some basic history, the "baggage" Gracie carries will drive some of her behaviors. Any new bird requires a period of adaptation for comfort, and Umbrellas may be in their own special category!

Check out some favorite links; the first is macaw-themed but applies to most every species!!

http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/56384-big-beak-o-phobes-guide-understanding-macaw-beaks.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatoos/17694-owning-cockatoo.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Many fellow members live with Umbrellas and may stop by to share some advice!!

MrsBigE

Oct 19, 2016
Media
Pickerington Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Umbrella Cockatoo
Welcome to you and to Gracie!
It sounds like Gracie will require some patience and while your giving her time and space you can read all the great info the members here share. Be sure to check out the specific Cockatoos group too.
Good luck!
Peg:white1:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! Hello! Congratulations! Glad you found us and great to have you with us!!!!

OMG

Dec 28, 2016
Toronto, ON, Canada
Parrots
The only pets I have at the moment have fur, not feathers.
Hi, and welcome! Gracie is lucky to have you. Can't wait to hear about her progress :)

OP
G

GraciesMommy

Jan 23, 2017
Parrots
25 year old Umbrella Cockatoo named Gracie
Thank you all for the warn welcomes!! Gracie is a wonderful little bird despite all the betrayal she has experienced at the hands of humans. She dances and says I love you. She let's me pet her head and preen her beautiful feathers. The vet was here to see her and said he was shocked how nice she is despite all the damage she has suffered on her little body. She was apparently stabbed several times and her left wing is broken. She wants so badly to trust again, but of course that will take time and patience. I'm in it for the long haul. I do believe I have fallen crazy in love with this beautiful and perfect little bird!

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
So sad I can't imagine my little baby being stabbed and beat up. So glad there's a happy ending for Gracie. Gracie is the name of my 13 year old lab!

janquito

Aug 10, 2016
Wisconsin
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one sun conure, and two quakers.
So sad but happy she ended up with you!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
That's sad about her past but that's good that you are taking good care of her now :) Sounds like just with any other bird she needs time and quiet to adjust to her new home. There's lots of members here that have adopted abused/neglected birds, they will be able to give you great advice!

Most Reactions