LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
He’s so cute!!! I love the red
That's so pretty! How fun!!!
I was expecting him to get more red on his chest, but the expanding red on his head came as a bit of a surprise. It's all such a contrast to the way he looked in the photos on page 1 of this thread!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
General Species Coloration and the stray feather are very different things. The odd feather that springs out in a field of common color does not always imply more will come in or if it will not be replaced with a common color in that area as part of the next molt.
More changes to come as his adult feathers work in over the next couple of years.
Enjoy the natural display as his colors evolve.

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
He’s a beautiful little parrot and will be even prettier when he’s grown. What type of lorikeet is he?
He's a "varied" aka "red-crowned" lorikeet, but "varied" seems to be the more commonly used name.

General Species Coloration and the stray feather are very different things. The odd feather that springs out in a field of common color does not always imply more will come in or if it will not be replaced with a common color in that area as part of the next molt.
More changes to come as his adult feathers work in over the next couple of years.
Enjoy the natural display as his colors evolve.

Oh those colours are evolving alright, ably assisted by Val who helps him preen and bring them into full view - as per the new pics on page 4 from yesterday! :)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Looks like Lovejoy’s gonna be a total redhead before I know it, not far to go now before what remains of that little green patch on his head is all filled in and gone!
0ACD9395-1A39-400F-9372-1A5C6597CA0D.jpeg

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Wow it’s growing in so fast! I can’t wait to see how it turns out.
Me too, and it's such a fabulous shade of fire engine red as well! 🤩

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
How fun to see this happen in real time!
It really is! I love the way the feathers around the perimeter grew in first and the rest are gradually filling in that patch of green :)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
YAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!! I finally got that elusive bath time video!! It's from several metres away cos if i get any closer he's suddenly WAY more interested in the camera and/or me than the bath, but the full body dunk is definitely on display. Hope y'all enjoy Lovejoy bath time - he certainly did! 💖

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
The poor little scrap! He wanted me to scritch him about half an hour before he jumped in the bath, and he's got SOOOOO many pin feathers all over. He's sitting with Val and having a good preen now so with any luck Val will set to work on those pins that I just cannot fix for him shortly, they must be terribly uncomfortable for him!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Its amazing just how much they like a bath (on their terms)! The sounds clearly define a very happy guy!! Congratulations!!
It most definitely is on his terms, Uncle Boats! We had temperatures in the 90s here yesterday and everybody else LOVED a shower from the spray bottle. But not Lovejoy, he HATES it!! So I was very pleased when he took the plunge in his water dish a little later in the day. It's a great pity though that I have to leave him caged for a bit afterwards. He takes on a lot of water leaving him quite a bit heavier, and unlike Lilly the purple-crown who was always a very strong flyer even when soaking wet, Lovejoy hasn't yet learned how to compensate and ends up on the floor :( It's very interesting, they're both pretty much the same size and weight but he hasn't yet developed the strength that Lilly had. Lilly was clipped as a baby whereas Lovejoy never was, but she was absolutely determined not to let it slow her down and flew anyway, so perhaps that may have been a contributing factor in how much stronger she was in comparison.

Anyway, Val did step in after Lovejoy's bath and give him a good preen yesterday - still plenty of work to be done though, those pins are EVERYWHERE!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I swear, Mart, Lovejoy is the most precious baby I've ever seen. Watching him with Val so reminds me of Phoe and Jax, and I'm thrilled for them as well as for you :)
I'm just so happy for you, Lovejoy has lived up to his name and it's so obvious that you were meant to be together.

I watched all of the videos and looked at the pictures multiple times and it is so cool to watch him grow up! I would have thought it would take a few moults to change as much as he has, it's incredible to see how fast it really is!
He was gorgeous in the earlier pics and man, does he wear that red well now! Thank you so much for sharing this with us and I'm so glad I got caught up. This made my day:)

He has easily convinced me to replace the Golden Conure (who was at the top of my dream bird list) with a Varied Lorikeet. Sadly, I bet it would be hard (if not impossible) to find one here, though.
Looks like we need to move to Australia!

During the first video, Remy about lost her mind. She was whimpering and trying to hide under their dog bed. I picked her up and she was perfectly fine as long as I was holding her, and watched Lovejoy's antics with interest. I think she knows me too well and tricked me.
What she doesn't know is that cuddles and watching your beautiful babies is my idea of a well spent afternoon:)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh yes Terry, he’s a precious baby alright, but he’s growing up so fast!! Sassier every day too, I spend most mornings chasing him off all the unauthorised landing spots that he *knows* he shouldn’t land on, but he leads me on a merry dance shooing him off all the no-go zones until his morning zoomies wear off. I’m so happy that he and Val are buddies - I will admit to being just a bit jealous at times but it's so lovely that they have each other to play with 🥰

Most Reactions

Latest posts