A weird Conure

Stephen777

Apr 23, 2018
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Sierra - Sun Conure
Ok, Sierra is still a baby but she is a complete clutz lol. She loves to drink the condensation off the side of my soda cans while I am at my PC desk and she steals my pens. When she gets close to one of the monitors she chases the mouse.
I got her one of those perches that has the water on one side and food dish on the other for when I am on my pc. Heaven forbid I am in the house in a different room then her, she has to be with me all the time.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
None of this is weird for a conure. It means your little Sierra is bonded to you, still learning to walk and fly, and is alert and healthy. Congratulations!!!! :D

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Sounds way more normal than my Finley. Lol.

OP
Stephen777

Stephen777

Apr 23, 2018
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Sierra - Sun Conure
I will confess. I didnt know what to title the forum post but wanted to talk about Sierra :) She is even comfortable enough to ride in the car with me. She is 100% a shoulder bird...wish she would give me a warning before she poops on me though lol

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Sounds like she is adjusting well to living with you :).

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I will confess. I didnt know what to title the forum post but wanted to talk about Sierra :) She is even comfortable enough to ride in the car with me. She is 100% a shoulder bird...wish she would give me a warning before she poops on me though lol
You can potty train her, both mine are potty trained and they ride in the car on my shoulder all the time. I have not been pooped on in about 6 or so month and neither has my house. Some people think potty training is bad for your bird but if you do it right with positive reenforcement and no punishment it will be fine!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Yes, indeed, congratulations on your new feathered overlord!
Great to have you (two) here!

OP
Stephen777

Stephen777

Apr 23, 2018
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Sierra - Sun Conure
I would love to start potty training her now that she is still a baby. Would love to get the details on how and what to expect etc.

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
My BUDDY does the same thing. If he is playing in his playground, God forbid if I leave the room!
He just wants to be with me 100% of the time.

As far as potty training...In the morning, when I first let him out, he climbs to my shoulder and flies off to the bathroom where he poops (huge) in the bathroom sink. What I can't understand is that if he had that large of a "load", why didn't he release it in the cage?

I am grateful that he aims for inside the sink (although a bit gross) but I think I will probably try to train him to let it go inside the cage before coming out. Tough to do since he is so excited to see me and get out.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Clark won't poop on my bed and he dislikes pooping in his cage....when he awakes I take him to the sink for "the big one".

He's generally pretty good at waiting unless I wait to long.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
BMP - the regulars have coined a VERY apt acronym in that three-letter abbreviation! :D

All birds are weird, lol. It's part of their appeal...so I tell myself...haha

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

My BUDDY does the same thing. If he is playing in his playground, God forbid if I leave the room!
He just wants to be with me 100% of the time.

As far as potty training...In the morning, when I first let him out, he climbs to my shoulder and flies off to the bathroom where he poops (huge) in the bathroom sink. What I can't understand is that if he had that large of a "load", why didn't he release it in the cage?

I am grateful that he aims for inside the sink (although a bit gross) but I think I will probably try to train him to let it go inside the cage before coming out. Tough to do since he is so excited to see me and get out.
Birds don't like to poop where they sleep because predators could find them in the wild. Both mine refuse to poop in their sleep cage and we go downstairs to the sink for the big morning poopy. You're lucky he doesn't poop it on you...good job!

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
That big one is the 'overnight' poop.

Birds don't like to poop where they sleep because predators could find them in the wild. Both mine refuse to poop in their sleep cage and we go downstairs to the sink for the big morning poopy. You're lucky he doesn't poop it on you...good job!

I have heard that they may "save" their night poop until let out; but I do not let him out till 10:00a.m....that is one lonnnng "save". Hope it's not discomforting to him.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I HIGHLY recommend potty training. I can't give any tips on how to do it since Skittles was already potty trained when I got him. The clerk at the pet store used to take him out and walk around the store with him on her shoulder. He will only poop in certain places and I've coordinated those places with "poop mats".

I will confess that is one of the reasons he is free-flighted. Not having to pick up bird poop all over the place is very convenient and in the seven years I've had him he has not pooped on me ONCE.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I will give some potty trainng tips in a bit I just don't have time to write it all now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts