About my new girl and looking for some bonding tips!

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
2 Budgies- Fausto & Romulo
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
It has been exactly two weeks since, bringing my new flock member home.
After, many different fall outs with a few other rehoming situations/potential scams. ( tons and tons and tons of scammers for macaws out there) I finally have my dream flock member :blue1:

I decided to have enough of dealing with people on Fb or craigslist. I waited for a rescue parrot from a good rescue or was content with the possibility of waiting a few years. I saw a photo of her and just knew she was a very special bird. I inquired for a little bit more about her history. She just needs some TLC and will hopefully be my bestie for life ( even if she isnt my bestie per say. I still love her so much already)

Fast forward, to my newly rescued 22 yr old girl. She seems more nervous of hands at the moment but, will take treats wonderfully. I am waiting for our new t-stand to arrive to start to train her in a few weeks. It was a long drive (6 hrs for her and double that for me to get her) and a big adjustment from the rescue and from her previous home etc. She was only at the rescue for about a month before, I adopted my little naked turkey. Before that she had only one previous owner but, locked in her cage for a few years with little contact.

The rescue did an amazing job with her and i just want to continue to build a solid foundation.

She is plucked but, a lot of new feathers have started to come in beautifully. Her personality is starting to come out and she is very chatty. Even mimicked “I love you” and other phrases when I spend time talking to her.

Im slowly adding new toys and foods to her diet. Her previous owner had her on a seed based diet. The rescue changed her to a pellet diet which is awesome. Although, she is still picky of switching to roudy bush, I might try tops brand. She is currently on Zupreem. I just dont like the artificial coloring aspect of the Zupreem pellets

I have a wonderful board certified avian vet that I am hoping to take her in for a good check up/ base line bw etc. very soon!!

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
* She is in a separate area from my smaller boys and in a quarantine room

I just wanted to mention that as well :)

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Congrats!! I also feed Tops :) I also use a vitamin supplement for this brand because there are no vitamins added. Can you post photos? And what is her name? Congrats again!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Only Good Things Happen When Humans Are Around!

Change Your Vantage Point:
- It is always the fault of the Humans!
- Its Never the fault of the Parrot!
By viewing things from this vantage point, one's sees what your doing wrong faster and you can change it!

FYI: Take all you expectations and dump them! Reward even the smallest positives!
Keep a Journal of the small positives, read it yearly!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations, wishing you and Rio a lifetime of bonded happiness! Seems the rescue did a wonderful job and you waded through a sea of scammers and nonsense to find your dream bird. Some great tips for bonding here: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Having a "well check" assessment with CAV a wonderful idea (typically a drop-off in the age of Covid) to set the pace for managing nutrition and plucking. Given her history of isolation, plucking may be learned response or potentially treatable. Might find value in this excellent treatise on plucking: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html

Zupreem produces a "color free" pellet but Rio may be addicted to the colorful Fruit Blend* variety. Having already transitioned from seed to pellet diet bodes fairly well for future change. Not pushing Harrison's, but I used their conversion protocol for my flock of 8 with total success in 2 weeks. Point is the process should work regardless of brand! Don't co-mingle foods, and of course, never starve a bird into submission. https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
Only Good Things Happen When Humans Are Around!

Change Your Vantage Point:
- It is always the fault of the Humans!
- Its Never the fault of the Parrot!
By view things from this vantage point, one's sees what your doing wrong faster and you can change it!

FYI: Take all you expectations and dump them! Reward even the smallest positives!
Keep a Journal of the small positives, read it yearly!

Thank you so much for your advice! I really love this idea and completely agree
with it isnt her fault!! Thank you again :)

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
Congratulations, wishing you and Rio a lifetime of bonded happiness! Seems the rescue did a wonderful job and you waded through a sea of scammers and nonsense to find your dream bird. Some great tips for bonding here: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Having a "well check" assessment with CAV a wonderful idea (typically a drop-off in the age of Covid) to set the pace for managing nutrition and plucking. Given her history of isolation, plucking may be learned response or potentially treatable. Might find value in this excellent treatise on plucking: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html

Zupreem produces a "color free" pellet but Rio may be addicted to the colorful Fruit Blend* variety. Having already transitioned from seed to pellet diet bodes fairly well for future change. Not pushing Harrison's, but I used their conversion protocol for my flock of 8 with total success in 2 weeks. Point is the process should work regardless of brand! Don't co-mingle foods, and of course, never starve a bird into submission. https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

Thank you so much for the links and information. I love researching and continue to learn more chop recipes along with making sure she is happy/healthy:blue1:

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
Update: She is really starting to come out of her shell.

I have figured out what treats are of high value to her.
She is finally destroying her toys and settling in wonderfully.

Our bond is slowly going somewhere. She is comfortable with coming out of her cage
She loves hanging out on her perch and we listen to music, I talk to her, and relax in my room with her.

My next step ( no pun intended) is to start to get her to step up. I try to push a little bit at a time as she is not a parrot that is very trusting. I have to earn this trust and work on her time. Without pushing her too much to the point that the training session is ruined. As It was just too much too soon. She knows her perch command and will take food only from my right hand. She a very nervous girl but, she reminds me of a few abused horses I worked with. Patience is a virtue and I have been videoing some sessions to watch/stay on top of my cues. To see where I mess up on communicating clearly with her.

My small goal is to have her step up on my arm. My long term goal is for her to be healthy, happy, and finally go outside and enjoy some sunshine!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Re: training sessions, try to open and close with actions she has down cold. Opening gives her confidence, and closing ends on a positive note.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Our bond is slowly going somewhere. She is comfortable with coming out of her cage
She loves hanging out on her perch and we listen to music, I talk to her, and relax in my room with her.

My next step ( no pun intended) is to start to get her to step up. I try to push a little bit at a time as she is not a parrot that is very trusting. I have to earn this trust and work on her time. Without pushing her too much to the point that the training session is ruined. As It was just too much too soon. She knows her perch command and will take food only from my right hand. She a very nervous girl but, she reminds me of a few abused horses I worked with. Patience is a virtue and I have been videoing some sessions to watch/stay on top of my cues. To see where I mess up on communicating clearly with her.

My small goal is to have her step up on my arm. My long term goal is for her to be healthy, happy, and finally go outside and enjoy some sunshine!!

Wonderful job, you are on the right track on many levels!! Apologies, I neglected to share an excellent thread about the foreboding macaw beak! Frequently used to lunge, less likely to inflict maximal damage compared with other parrots. They can be world-class bluffers! http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/56384-big-beak-o-phobes-guide-understanding-macaw-beaks.html

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I missed your thread before! Congratulations!! It sounds like you are the dream home for this girl!!!! Keep us updated on progress! Keep celebrating each little step. It can take months to open up these abused parrots. Building there confidence can be hard. Pictures please!!

I share this link a lot because I think its great. Pamela Clark CVT, and parrot Behavior has a blog and lots of articles to dig through .
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
Re: training sessions, try to open and close with actions she has down cold. Opening gives her confidence, and closing ends on a positive note.

That is a wonderful idea, I also make her keep both feet on the perch at all times
This way she has to push herself a little bit out of her comfort zone without it being an overload. As she has her perch command down pat at this point. However, if she does try to leave to go back in the cage. I know it is time to end the session soon. She is To the point I can go over to a certain perch. Ask her to perch and she will be there ready for her treat or a verbal praise.

I usually ask for a perch and start to desensitize her to my arms being closer.
To take treats from a flat hand, Having one arm higher up that her, jumping, waving my hands, clapping, and even dancing :18: Just to make sure that whatever movement I make. She can see, I will not harm her

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio

Wonderful job, you are on the right track on many levels!! Apologies, I neglected to share an excellent thread about the foreboding macaw beak! Frequently used to lunge, less likely to inflict maximal damage compared with other parrots. They can be world-class bluffers! http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/56384-big-beak-o-phobes-guide-understanding-macaw-beaks.html

Thank you so much for your kind words! She has only tried to lunge maybe once, she is a lot more vocal. But, I have been starting to notice she does bluff a lot. However, I know when she also, isnt. Luckily, She does a wonderful job communicating!!

I am going to read article asap!!

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
I missed your thread before! Congratulations!! It sounds like you are the dream home for this girl!!!! Keep us updated on progress! Keep celebrating each little step. It can take months to open up these abused parrots. Building there confidence can be hard. Pictures please!!

I share this link a lot because I think its great. Pamela Clark CVT, and parrot Behavior has a blog and lots of articles to dig through .
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Thank you for the informative link and for the kind words of encouragement!

She isnt too sure of the phone but, slowly getting used to photos!
I snapped this one really quickly while she was enjoying a snack. The door isnt open all the way because, I just noticed the lighting was amazing. She is starting to grow feathers back. She was more naked prior too. :blue1:

She has been super picky with chop and not eating as many veggies as I would like though :17:

26101d1618894919-about-my-new-girl-looking-some-bonding-tips-zztj4.jpg

Attachments

• zztj4.jpg
    zztj4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
I also cant wait for the day she gets a nice nail trim/beak trim!!

Bekki

Mar 31, 2021
Parrots
Loki - Sun Conure
Mango - Sun Conure
Ruby - Camelot Macaw
She is beautiful and I love hearing how things are going. I'm in the process of taking in a macaw, and it's nice to hear what you are doing and how it is going.

I hope you continue to share - your wins and your challenges. I may be reaching out to you to see how you handled certain situations, since we are adding to our flock roughly around the same time!

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
She is beautiful and I love hearing how things are going. I'm in the process of taking in a macaw, and it's nice to hear what you are doing and how it is going.

I hope you continue to share - your wins and your challenges. I may be reaching out to you to see how you handled certain situations, since we are adding to our flock roughly around the same time!

Thank You so much!! I will totally continue to share our goals and where we need some incite or help.

It was definitely intimidating at first as i doubted my ability at times. But, really learning parrot body language and more importantly her specific way of communicating helps a lot. She is super food motivated which has definitely helped lol I also leaned on my experience with horses. It is more than anything How I present myself to her. If I come off too strong right away. There is no point in trying a session. As she will check out immediately.

The moment I saw her photo on the rescue page, I knew she was special. Im so lucky to have her in my life. You are going to have so much fun with your new flock member and it may not be easy at times. But, they are worth it!!! :blue1:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Have you tried the chop-eating challenge? Prepare two identical bowls of chop, offer one to Rio, begin eating from yours. Make "mmmm" sounds of delight, bob your head in enjoyment. Parrots are flock eaters and you are one of her flock!

Most Reactions