About my new girl and looking for some bonding tips!

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
2 Budgies- Fausto & Romulo
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
Have you tried the chop-eating challenge? Prepare two identical bowls of chop, offer one to Rio, begin eating from yours. Make "mmmm" sounds of delight, bob your head in enjoyment. Parrots are flock eaters and you are one of her flock!

Yes, it usually works well with my conure. She just looks at me gets a taste and doesnt continue eating. If it is a bigger piece, she will seem interested to take a piece. But, will immediately toss it.

Her previous diet only consisted of Seeds- Abba Brand to be exact. I dont know too much of her old life. Im trying to get her more well rounded as it is important.
She is also only eating Zupreem pellets: Doesnt like Roudybush- I have tried some tricks that worked for my conure and budgies to switch. But, again she wont have any of it

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Awww, they can be stubborn! Persistence is helpful, some of my birds ignored a particular food item literally for decades before trying and liking.

Zupreem, particularly the colorful Fruit Blend variety is a widely tolerated pellet though it contains high levels of corn, sugar, and artificial colors. They make a "natural" variety, uniformly tan color. If you try other brands, consider using the Harrison's conversion protocol. Not pushing Harrison's but technique completely effective with my flock of 8 finicky eaters. Should work with any pellet product: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
So, I did a training session in the morning and noticed she will A) bite or B) bluff

When it is coming down to asking her to step up from the perch.
She needs an even higher value treat than a macadamia nut. Im not sure she knows step up but, perch and spin is down pat. I can get her off of certain areas of the cage to perch and she will come to me.

I feel like the wheels are turning if she trusts me yet or not. It still may take time but, I also need to push a little out of comfort zone just a tad to see.

OP
TheArk

TheArk

Feb 23, 2021
Parrots
1 GCC - Luca
1 Naked B&G - Rio
It is all on her terms and I notice that If i were to sneak my hand to approach the back of her feet. It would not work as it will be met with a dinosaur. I usually do that when my conure is absolutely stubborn with stepping up from someone else ( like my sister or mom )

Im not sure if my approach is off or not. I did tell myself not to move my hand when she lunged but, I did. Told her no and asked her to go back to place. Which she did immediately and we continued for a little while. More evenings sessions seem to get more breakthrough

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hard to imagine a higher value treat than macadamia nut - except larger quantities! (macaws require a bit more fat content diet than other parrots)

You'll have to judge how hard the bite vs bluff regarding withdrawing. They are unbelievably smart and love to control!

Most Reactions

Latest posts