About to Be Clipped

losninos

Aug 15, 2016
We have a bonded male pair, 2 year old Jenday and 3 year old Quaker. When not caged, they fly around a 12' by 24' enclosed porch. They are good flyers, and there have never been any incidents. They navigate the windows, furniture, doors and two inoperable ceiling fans just fine. A family debate has been going on as to getting them clipped. They are my son's birds and he will soon be taking them to his new digs where flying will be no more dangerous but with a small increase in escape potential. Therefore, the 'clip' family segment has prevailed. My concern is whether the duo will in truth be at increased risk stumbling and bumbling about because they are no longer facil flyers. Is there any real reason to be concerned about behavioral issues when they are grounded? Life is full of unintended consequences, and I remain unconvinced clipping is in the guys' best interests.:rainbow1::blue2:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Clipping is always a deeply contentious debate! Both birds have obviously adapted well and fly without injury, so the sole consideration appears to be escape. A valid concern, of course, but how significant is the danger? Is there a way to further reduce this risk?

I don't clip my birds, with one exception - and this was for behavioral reasons. Hopefully a one-time event. There are clipping variations, ranging from a definitive grounding to a "light" clip that prevents sustained flight. Be aware that gusts of wind can carry a lightly clipped bird significant distance. About the only point of general agreement is that clipping should be done symmetrically; there is a school of thought that clips just one wing.

Hope this thread will garner many responses so you will have a better basis for debating or accommodating this issue!

Most Reactions

Latest posts