Adopting a Rescue Amazon Parrot

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Aww...can't wait to see updates and more pics! So glad you are taking him in! With patience I'm sure he will come around in no time!

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
It IS tomorrow at 07:00 here by me already!! Sigh, now I have to wait for the time difference to catch up before I can see pics of of him at home with you!

I am very excited for you! And so very glad he/she is finally going to a good home where he can finally see what being loved is. Can't wait!

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Be careful they bite.
They can be really sweet but watch them...they bite.
But bless you for taking this one in.

I second that.....They'll bite and hard at first...grieving time from going to new mate (you) so don't be discouraged that it could take some time...in the end they are the sweetest things you'll ever own...Practice patience, as they will challenge your sanity.

Poppie hated my guts at first when we rescued her..But I let her know who's boss and that I am not afraid of her bite. I reached under her wings and lifted her straight up, then brought her back down softly the whole time, still rubbing under her wings...the bitting tapered off and she began getting closer...Now we are the best of buddies..it takes establishing trust. Since poppie was a female, by doing the under the wing lift and top of back and stroking her oil gland on her back as well, I established that I want her as a mate and into the flock, and for her acceptance.
She practically transformed her hate and biting into love and best buddy almost overnite...
I don't recommend this to everybody, you will get bit very hard trying this, but if you have the guts and withstand the bite, this technique will establish what I mentioned above. The technique is used for hawks, mainly females as Female species are much harder than males to gain acceptance from.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Since Amazons are....and always will be... my absolute FAVORITE species, I 'would' be the first to tell you and go for it, BUT:

Please be realistic. Are you prepared for a bird who may 'show' aggression?

Are you prepared to be bitten? (Now THAT can actually be avoided - yes, it can be)

IMVHO Amazons are the easiest parrots to 'read'. They WILL let you know what mood they are in. They WILL (most of the time) give you fair warning before they latch on. They show their likes and dislikes by their behavior. Sometimes, when they are simply happy and excited, folks think they are displaying aggressive behavior, or 'over excitement'. Well, it doesn't take much to 'over excite' an Amazon. They are TRUE expressionists. It WILL take some time to learn their antics and 'expressions'. ;)

I do NOT believe in the 'hot 3' statement simply because I have 2 of the 'supposed' hot threes and they are both as mellow and easy to read as the rest of them. :54:

I'll stop here. I tend to get lost once I start writing about 'zons...but I don't want to take the chance of 'losing' the reader. :30:

You can write about Zon's all you want... can never get bored of reading about Amazons!

What you mentioned is very true. But you can easily break the nasty bite and establish the who's boss or top of the pecking order in the flock. I mentioned this technique in another post.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I do thinkk the abusive owners ever gave him a name but I'm thinking about the name gizmo.

Gizmo is a nice name:) I don't think we have a BFA Gizmo on here yet.

OP
Williamsong

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
And I just found out that it is male

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

Wohoo! It's another boy BFA to "join" the forum:D I believe it has been discussed in past threads that all these unwanted boys are just "diamonds in the rough" the deserving humans can polish up into a real gem of a bird;) Has he arrived yet? You must be so excited!

OP
Williamsong

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri

Wohoo! It's another boy BFA to "join" the forum:D I believe it has been discussed in past threads that all these unwanted boys are just "diamonds in the rough" the deserving humans can polish up into a real gem of a bird;) Has he arrived yet? You must be so excited!

No I haven't got him yet he will be coming this evening but I am so excited I can hardly wait ! 😁

Most Reactions

Latest posts