African Ringneck adoptee-to-be

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 20, 2022
Hello!

I apologize; this is super long :oops:

Last week I visited a local parrot rescue with the intention of just starting to meet various species and get to know the volunteers, with a goal of adopting in a couple of months after I've finished some house painting and other small projects.

After chatting about my past animal experience and what I enjoy about interacting with different animals, they introduced me to a very handsome fellow who is absolutely terrified of everything. He won't be ready to adopt for a month or two, but when I showed up today I found they'd made a little sign that he's boarding and not available :)

He's an 18 month old African Ringneck (thank you all here who spotted that right away!) who was originally purchased by a family at 9 months old. He didn't flourish the way they hoped he would in their home, and seemed to visibly not enjoy how active their household was. He developed a yeast infection on his skin and began plucking. When he arrived at the rescue in December 2021, he was completely bald except for his head. He's been receiving treatment while there and is currently molting. So far (fingers crossed!) he's leaving his new feathers alone.

Since I saw him last week he has two new baby tail feathers :love::love: According to the vet's exam, if he allows his feathers to grow in he'll have a full tail and full flight feathers - so far he hasn't damaged the underlying structures.

In observing his behavior and from his previous family's history, the rescue has noticed that he indeed seems to become stressed with high activity in his surroundings, and he does much better when his cage is smaller so that he can climb around the whole thing and so the bottom of the cage is above human waist/chest level.

Today I spent about four hours in the rescue, most of it just nearby his cage and respecting his body language toward me. If a customer wanted to get by me and I moved toward the cage, and he turned around, I moved away. I noticed last week that when people are looking at him he wants to be on his favorite perch, gets visibly anxious, and places his foot on the wall (his scared power stance is what I've called it in my head - he's tense and ready to run to the corner). My goal was to be in his awareness without staring at him and let him see me without feeling he needed to be on alert.

I spent 45 minutes or so in their meet-n-greet room, a bathroom set up for safe visits. I carried him in his cage and left him inside, and then sat on the floor and just talked. I read him posts from the I Love Amazons thread, and read aloud the text messages I was sending, and told him he was beautiful, and told him many times that I promise right now I will never just reach out my hand and grab him because he deserves choice and if he is always going to be scared of my hand that's ok, and so forth.

He was in his scared stance at first but started sneaking looks at me (I cheated and used my phone camera to see what he was doing without needing to look his direction). He cocked his head slightly a few times while I was talking. About 30 minutes in, I played a YouTube video of an African Ringneck making happy sounds, and he was visibly curious. He looked squarely at me and took a couple steps toward me on his favorite perch. I talked to him about Ringnecks and how pretty he is and he stayed pretty comfortable, seeming ok with me making eye contact (slower breathing than before, not moving away, maybe soft chirpie sounds with his beak but the Macaws outside were getting lunch so I couldn't tell if he made noise).

The volunteers there are super experienced with big birds and with social birds that are stressed, and they said they've had him out and he came close to stepping up - but in my gut I feel like I want to go very very slowly with this guy. Just watching him, I feel like he would be very prone to flooding and performing a behavior due to learned helplessness rather than choice.

He's not tame and he is likely going to remain a feather plucker, but I'm totally smitten with the guy. He might never be social, but I know my home is stable and free of human hustle and I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

(I'll edit to add a few photos from my phone)

Attachments

• PXL_20220226_181034788.jpg
    PXL_20220226_181034788.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 123
  • PXL_20220226_181526110.jpg
    PXL_20220226_181526110.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20220226_201350893.jpg
    PXL_20220226_201350893.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello!

I apologize; this is super long :oops:

Last week I visited a local parrot rescue with the intention of just starting to meet various species and get to know the volunteers, with a goal of adopting in a couple of months after I've finished some house painting and other small projects.

After chatting about my past animal experience and what I enjoy about interacting with different animals, they introduced me to a very handsome fellow who is absolutely terrified of everything. He won't be ready to adopt for a month or two, but when I showed up today I found they'd made a little sign that he's boarding and not available :)

He's an 18 month old African Ringneck (thank you all here who spotted that right away!) who was originally purchased by a family at 9 months old. He didn't flourish the way they hoped he would in their home, and seemed to visibly not enjoy how active their household was. He developed a yeast infection on his skin and began plucking. When he arrived at the rescue in December 2021, he was completely bald except for his head. He's been receiving treatment while there and is currently molting. So far (fingers crossed!) he's leaving his new feathers alone.

Since I saw him last week he has two new baby tail feathers :love::love: According to the vet's exam, if he allows his feathers to grow in he'll have a full tail and full flight feathers - so far he hasn't damaged the underlying structures.

In observing his behavior and from his previous family's history, the rescue has noticed that he indeed seems to become stressed with high activity in his surroundings, and he does much better when his cage is smaller so that he can climb around the whole thing and so the bottom of the cage is above human waist/chest level.

Today I spent about four hours in the rescue, most of it just nearby his cage and respecting his body language toward me. If a customer wanted to get by me and I moved toward the cage, and he turned around, I moved away. I noticed last week that when people are looking at him he wants to be on his favorite perch, gets visibly anxious, and places his foot on the wall (his scared power stance is what I've called it in my head - he's tense and ready to run to the corner). My goal was to be in his awareness without staring at him and let him see me without feeling he needed to be on alert.

I spent 45 minutes or so in their meet-n-greet room, a bathroom set up for safe visits. I carried him in his cage and left him inside, and then sat on the floor and just talked. I read him posts from the I Love Amazons thread, and read aloud the text messages I was sending, and told him he was beautiful, and told him many times that I promise right now I will never just reach out my hand and grab him because he deserves choice and if he is always going to be scared of my hand that's ok, and so forth.

He was in his scared stance at first but started sneaking looks at me (I cheated and used my phone camera to see what he was doing without needing to look his direction). He cocked his head slightly a few times while I was talking. About 30 minutes in, I played a YouTube video of an African Ringneck making happy sounds, and he was visibly curious. He looked squarely at me and took a couple steps toward me on his favorite perch. I talked to him about Ringnecks and how pretty he is and he stayed pretty comfortable, seeming ok with me making eye contact (slower breathing than before, not moving away, maybe soft chirpie sounds with his beak but the Macaws outside were getting lunch so I couldn't tell if he made noise).

The volunteers there are super experienced with big birds and with social birds that are stressed, and they said they've had him out and he came close to stepping up - but in my gut I feel like I want to go very very slowly with this guy. Just watching him, I feel like he would be very prone to flooding and performing a behavior due to learned helplessness rather than choice.

He's not tame and he is likely going to remain a feather plucker, but I'm totally smitten with the guy. He might never be social, but I know my home is stable and free of human hustle and I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

(I'll edit to add a few photos from my phone)
Just look at him!!! Look at him! Wow! Golly gee if he isn't growing those feathers back!!!
Great job on them catching the yeasty beasties! We wouldn't mind catching glimpses of bare psrrot skin. But wouldn't it be amazing if he could become fully clothed again.
Oh I think he is definitely into you

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 20, 2022
That's so kind of you! I don't know that he's going to "warm up" to me but I'm hopeful that consistency and stubbornness on both our parts will be a good thing :) I kind of wonder if it will be a little easier ( - not faster) once he's home and not having to be so alert to all the people and big bird noises all day.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 20, 2022
Earlier today while I was looking at photos from the rescue yesterday, I got an email from the rescue saying that Cotton (my birdo! :love:) seems to be more comfortable with calm spirits! I'm so thrilled to hear this!

This was him when I arrived yesterday and there was a bit of customer activity around, hiding in his safe corner (I heard a little girl say "awww look at his neck, is he like a giraffe?" :ROFLMAO:).

1646004857903.png

And this was him a few hours after our bathroom chill session, while I was standing right up to his cage to try to video him eating (but was foiled by someone looking at the cage next to and below his).

Cotton walking :)

and then watching me - look how fluffy his head still is :D :D

1646005060935.png

My bird-home goal this week is to research cage setups for birds that need less height and more horizontal & climbing space. I'm also continuing to read and take notes about plucking, fearful birds, and general nutrition/health.

My getting-ready goal this week is to finish painting my spare room (the walls are done; need to do trim and ceiling really needs a refresh) and hallway. I have all my main floor to do, as I'd put it all off while my cat with respiratory issues was still alive, but now I have a more urgent reason to finish this quickly.

My forum goal this week is to get to know people a little better by participating more, instead of just reading everything in sight :LOL:

If Cotton would have been an Indian ringneck I was going to call him Parutti which means "cotton" in Tamil (I make a lot of south Indian food and my favorite food blogger is from Tamil Nadu), but I have terrible pronunciation of every African-continent language I know bits and pieces of so I think Cotton will suit him just fine, ha.

I chose my username before I knew I'd be accepted as his adopter, but I was already smitten with him and also work in neurosurgery - cottonoids can be a life saving product, so it suits me, I hope.

Happy Sunday! For me Sunday is the beginning of the week and a fresh start, and it's happy today indeed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 42416

Earlier today while I was looking at photos from the rescue yesterday, I got an email from the rescue saying that Cotton (my birdo! :love:) seems to be more comfortable with calm spirits! I'm so thrilled to hear this!

This was him when I arrived yesterday and there was a bit of customer activity around, hiding in his safe corner (I heard a little girl say "awww look at his neck, is he like a giraffe?" :ROFLMAO:).

View attachment 36421
And this was him a few hours after our bathroom chill session, while I was standing right up to his cage to try to video him eating (but was foiled by someone looking at the cage next to and below his).

Cotton walking :)

and then watching me - look how fluffy his head still is :D :D

View attachment 36423

My bird-home goal this week is to research cage setups for birds that need less height and more horizontal & climbing space. I'm also continuing to read and take notes about plucking, fearful birds, and general nutrition/health.

My getting-ready goal this week is to finish painting my spare room (the walls are done; need to do trim and ceiling really needs a refresh) and hallway. I have all my main floor to do, as I'd put it all off while my cat with respiratory issues was still alive, but now I have a more urgent reason to finish this quickly.

My forum goal this is to get to know people a little better by participating more, instead of just reading everything in sight :LOL:

If Cotton would have been an Indian ringneck I was going to call him Parutti which means "cotton" in Tamil (I make a lot of south Indian food and my favorite food blogger is from Tamil Nadu), but I have terrible pronunciation of every African-continent language I know bits and pieces of so I think Cotton will suit him just fine, ha.

I chose my username before I knew I'd be accepted as his adopter, but I also work in neurosurgery and cottonoids can be life saving, so it suits me, I think.

Happy Sunday! For me Sunday is the beginning of the week and a fresh start, and it's happy today indeed.
Heck, I canโ€™t even pronounce my own last nameโ€ฆcotton is perfect!!!

Congrats and look forward to all the news and pics!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so thrilled that you see his beauty, it shows your heart. So many people pass by a perfectly imperfect bird.

Cotton reminds me of my Stevie, although Stevie was also abused. It took me literally years for him to be as comfortable around me as Cotton is with you.

I am so excited to watch your journey together unfold.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
He's so beautiful, and I can tell he chose you. He's so relaxed and happy around you!

PS: Cottonoids are cool (I looked them up)

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 20, 2022
....you know how in movies and TV there will be a 9-month pregnant mom who is scrolling Instagram and buying cute baby outfits while the crib is still in the box yet to be assembled and the nursery is a shambles?

Oh hi ๐Ÿ˜‚

I don't have a due date yet at least!

....but I do have my normal Monday cleaning to get done still and it's 3pm!

I hiked this morning with a friend whose husband works at the same hospital I do. He presented some information at our last staff meeting (virtual) and about half our staff didn't know he's been growing a mustache. The reactions to seeing his maskless face were amusing for everyone.

I showed my friend photos of Cotton and joked that I should name him after her husband since Cotton also has a nice mustache. We got the giggles about the whole thing, but our dogs didn't seem as amused.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so excited for Cotton, he has hit the lottery by you finding each other.
That's so funny about the mustache!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
....you know how in movies and TV there will be a 9-month pregnant mom who is scrolling Instagram and buying cute baby outfits while the crib is still in the box yet to be assembled and the nursery is a shambles?

Oh hi ๐Ÿ˜‚

I don't have a due date yet at least!

....but I do have my normal Monday cleaning to get done still and it's 3pm!

I hiked this morning with a friend whose husband works at the same hospital I do. He presented some information at our last staff meeting (virtual) and about half our staff didn't know he's been growing a mustache. The reactions to seeing his maskless face were amusing for everyone.

I showed my friend photos of Cotton and joked that I should name him after her husband since Cotton also has a nice mustache. We got the giggles about the whole thing, but our dogs didn't seem as amused.
I laughed WAY to hard at this. Cotton is definitely lucky to have you, but PLEASE don't name him after your friend's husband. Imagine calling him and your friend's husband is like 'here sweetie, what do you- oh'.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Hahahaha!!! You just made me laugh so abruptly my dog jumped up from a sound sleep ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚
'Mother, why must you do this to me. And when I'm SLEEPING, too. The disgrace!'

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 20, 2022
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
She's been grumpy all day because I forced her to go on a hike in the snow....for a quarter mile before she was plopped into a front pack and didn't have to soil her dainty feet :D
It must be so hard being a dog :ROFLMAO:

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 20, 2022
Last Wednesday Mar 2nd I visited Cotton with my son and his gf, and spent about an hour with him in the quiet room. Surprisingly he stayed pretty relaxed, even with my son and his gf there, and at one point had his face feathers all fluffy and making very soft little beak clicking noises. He really liked us talking and laughing and we kept catching him cocking his head back and forth to check us out.

We've been trying to figure out his favorite treat food for a couple weeks, and as we were leaving - the moment our backs were turned, he grabbed an almond from his food dish and ran back to his perch to eat it :love:

I've tried to just take a couple of photos when I first take him into the quiet room because he's not really a fan of the paparazzi haha

1646953533876.png

1646953574097.png

Most Reactions