African Ringneck adoptee-to-be

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
He does look so dry!!! His little legs and back especially.

-----------------------------------

Over the weekend, I traveled with my kids (son and his gf) to visit my parents (I haven't seen them since 2019 and they are at a point in life where they might not be able to travel anymore).

Naturally, we had to stop at a parrot store after picking up our rental car from the airport.

We picked a random store right off the freeway and IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!! I met the most amazing person there who knows ringnecks very well, and to say she went above and beyond to help me is a massive understatement. She told and showed me how she works with untame birds, and let me practice with the Indian Ringnecks that were there. She went over every aspect of parrot care we could think of, including going over all the different toys and why certain birds like x toy over y toy, and going over the food blend they use and what she recommends, and just generally being so helpful while also making sure I have the correct expectations of life with a bird that is currently very fearful. We ended up stopping again on our way back to the airport and I got to meet her Moustache Parakeet!

We also met an African Grey at my hometown pet store and she realllly liked head scritches from my son's gf :) She followed N all over.

I visited Cotton again last night and it was about the same as the last visit, but he calmed down a bit faster once we were in the quiet room (I carry his whole cage there).

He likes shredding his balsa wood and birdie bagels, so when I visit him Saturday I'm bringing him more toys. I have a whole assortment from my trip to help entice him to chew things. Fingers crossed something strikes his fancy! The volunteer coordinator said he's starting to stay by his food dish when she's around, instead of running back to his perch, so she's pleased he's a little more comfortable. I can hardly wait to take him home 💚

1646955198007.png

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I may have missed it but when do you get to bring Cotton home?

I also have an ARN who is plucked. He was mistreated in his last home and definitely has trust issues. It sounds like you are helping Cotton to get past some of his fear of people, and that is so wonderful.
I believe you two are meant to be together, and I'm looking forward to watching your journey together.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I may have missed it but when do you get to bring Cotton home?

I also have an ARN who is plucked. He was mistreated in his last home and definitely has trust issues. It sounds like you are helping Cotton to get past some of his fear of people, and that is so wonderful.
I believe you two are meant to be together, and I'm looking forward to watching your journey together.

I'm not sure yet when he can come home! Originally they said April but it seems the timeframe keeps getting a bit shorter. Now that I'm back from my weekend trip, I'm rearranging furniture and getting the house prepared. I still have some repainting to do but if it doesn't get finished it won't bother me :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm not sure yet when he can come home! Originally they said April but it seems the timeframe keeps getting a bit shorter. Now that I'm back from my weekend trip, I'm rearranging furniture and getting the house prepared. I still have some repainting to do but if it doesn't get finished it won't bother me :)
Yay! So the time is coming sooner than expected!

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
I'm not sure yet when he can come home! Originally they said April but it seems the timeframe keeps getting a bit shorter. Now that I'm back from my weekend trip, I'm rearranging furniture and getting the house prepared. I still have some repainting to do but if it doesn't get finished it won't bother me
Loving this story! Good for you that you could see his potential in spite of everything and figure a way to start bonding at the rescue. It's really inspiring me.
And now I don't feel so silly making toys for a bird I don't have yet. Im hoping to visit the rescue near me next week and I really hope I can find a match the way you have!
Love it keep up the great work he totally likes you!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My plucker links
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-844381

Oh awesome, thank you for the link! I have so many tabs open on my phone from that thread 😁 - it's an incredible resource!

Edit - I've spent a good chunk of my afternoon reading about behavior/fearful animals/foraging and am mentally planning the toys I'm bringing for Cotton tomorrow. I've also been saving the paper used for packing in Chewy boxes. *I* think it's fun to shred so hopefully it's equally irresistible to a scared birdie :)

Last edited:
OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My visit last Saturday was really good! They were really busy so I wasn't able to take Cotton in to the quiet room, but I hung out near his cage for a few hours. I always move when other people are walking around looking at the different birds, and I noticed he started turning to keep an eye on me.

One of the stories I was telling him was apparently very boring 🤣

1647288007840.png

He's definitely plucking new feathers here and there in addition to chewing his longer feathers. When he stretches his wings, WOW are his primaries so long! And such a pretty color! I couldn't believe how long they are now!

At one point after I'd been in a different part of the room, I walked back to see him on his perch with a feather sticking out of his beak. I broke out into giggles and said something like "Cotton what is that little feather sticking out right there?" - he cocked his head slightly, then turned around and climbed ten steps along the back of his cage, quickly wiped his beak and climbed right back to his perch to look right at me, like "What feather? I don't know what you're talking about!" 😆😂😆

I've been dropping an almond in his food bowl when I get there, and saw him grab it while I was across the room - he ran back to his perch to eat it after some people came in. Later he ate in front of me (I was on the other side of the cage). He went first for the sunflower seeds in the mix of foods they'd offered.

I've been trying to sneak pictures of his feathers just to get an idea of the progression of chewing/plucking, but have tried to resist taking the hundreds of photos I want to as he's not a big fan of the paparazzi and turns his back when I lift my phone (with my hands tucked inside my sleeve). So far it's looked like he's left his tail feathers alone (as far as plucking them out) and plucks the most on his chest.

1647289085683.png

Yesterday my neighbor's friend hosted a painting party, and I was kind of spacing out in the beginning and wasn't at allllll copying the picture I was supposed to be doing. But it's been making me laugh all night and all day today.

Can you guess which painting is the original we were meant to portray and which is mine?

1647289313864.png

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I am so loving your stories about being with Cotton, he seems to be getting really comfortable with you. Oh, how I love your Boy!!!

And that painting! LOL
It is much better than the original!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I am so loving your stories about being with Cotton, he seems to be getting really comfortable with you. Oh, how I love your Boy!!!

And that painting! LOL
It is much better than the original!

I think overall he's certainly showing he recognizes me and he's showing signs of being less fearful with my presence. I do a lot of not-looking at him and just talking.

I also do a lot of spying on all the other birds :) There's an Amazon boarding there that is over 50! He's usually napping while I'm there, but Saturday he was out for a little bit and he is the biggest sweetheart! There also is a Macaw boarding whose dad came to visit and she was just a puddle of cuddles - it was so fun to see how she just lit up with daddy time! 🥰

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I got to set up Cotton's new cage at the rescue today, since he's been a lot more active in his current cage lately.

They want me to hang out with him in the quiet room and then transfer him myself 😱 I was hoping I could get away with being the Yummy Treat Lady With No Hands the whole time he's here.

I'm assuming this will set us back quite a bit....she thinks he'll be calm with me holding him....um.... 😶 eeeeek

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I got to set up Cotton's new cage at the rescue today, since he's been a lot more active in his current cage lately.

They want me to hang out with him in the quiet room and then transfer him myself 😱 I was hoping I could get away with being the Yummy Treat Lady With No Hands the whole time he's here.

I'm assuming this will set us back quite a bit.

I'll probably delete this part later because I wouldn't want anyone who knows this rescue to read it - but she thinks he'll be calm with me holding him....um.... 😶
The way he has taken to you I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does feel calm around you.
Fingers crossed!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
The way he has taken to you I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does feel calm around you.
Fingers crossed!
Yay she offered to be the bad guy after all! She held him in a washcloth (screaming) and had me talk to him and I got to very gently stroke his head - then she put him in his new cage.

He immediately started climbing EVERYWHERE - so cute!!! When I get home I'll add pictures.

Ahhhh he's so dang adorable!!! 🥰

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Yay she offered to be the bad guy after all! She held him in a washcloth (screaming) and had me talk to him and I got to very gently stroke his head - then she put him in his new cage.

He immediately started climbing EVERYWHERE - so cute!!! When I get home I'll add pictures.

Ahhhh he's so dang adorable!!! 🥰
That is excellent news! Sounds like the new cage is a hit.
Poor little guy is just going to need time and love. It will be so much better when he comes home with you where things are more quiet and he can get used to a routine.
Can't wait to see the pics!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so in love with this story and Cottons rescue.

I agree i just can't wait till he is home with you. Seeing how stressed and on guard he feels watching t h e busy rescue....I can't wait till he can let his guard down and be in his own forever home.

Its so wonderful to watch the journey unfold from the very beginning.

Awww the relief he must have had to be able to nap knowing you were on watch!!!@

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Thank you for replying so quickly in my moment of nerves earlier! I was nervous enough I didn't even finish typing lol - the bit I didn't want the rescue to read and feel bad about was me having a moment of panic that I haven't handled many birds in the last 15 years and not wanting to do things "wrong". You all are the best support!

Here's Cotton on a totally different perch than his usual - he was wandering all over tonight when I first got there so I think he knew something was afoot - he started out on his usual perch then did a little walkabout then up to this one to peer at me :)

1647313209505.png

Here's his new digs - I left the things they had in it already and added a bunch. I'm soooo excited they let me put more toys in! I stuffed sunflower seeds and walnuts in a few of them. We decided to move the little fluffy tunnel thing from his old cage, since he likes to hide behind it when people are freaking him out. I'm sorry it's kind of hard to distinguish what's his - there are two budgie cages behind his.

1647313516557.png

I was a little worried about him potentially falling - when they first got him in December, he was very unstable moving around his cage so they moved him to a short cage. I was also wondering how easily he'd adapt to the much bigger bar spacing.

He was scrambling around like a professional mountain climber immediately so gold medal for this guy!

1647313727349.png

1647313819650.png

This is my favorite - he did this a few times then would dive headfirst down the back side :LOL::love:

1647313915572.png

He was ALL over the place! He even went exploring on the lower perches which it sounds like he avoided before, especially if people were around. His exploring seemed like exploring, not fear, which was so much fun to see!! The only place he hadn't been to when I left about 15 minutes later was his food bowl - he'd thought about going that direction but changed his mind a few times, so hopefully the perch arrangement isn't spaced too far to make getting there pretty easy.

The coordinator I've been working with is going out of town for a week - but she gave me the door code so I can keep visiting! So I'll see him again Wednesday! I'll be curious to see how many feathers might be on the floor. He made a big show of preening in front of me in his old cage tonight, and spent a looooot of time beaking his longest primary feathers lol! The cute little stinker!

I agree that once I get him home things will progress smoother - maybe not faster, but easier. He clearly doesn't care for tons of strange people looking at him, and he's starting to look to me as an ally. And it's me, too - my personality has always been such that I don't like people watching me do new things, to my detriment when I was younger and didn't understand how to work with that. We'll both have less external stressors once he's home.

I'm so glad you guys are on this journey with me!!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I should be in bed 2 hours ago but I'm sat here investigating creating a YouTube channel besides the default one with my actual name. There is 25 seconds of Cotton athleticism that must be shared with the world :LOL:

D

Deleted member 42416

I should be in bed 2 hours ago but I'm sat here investigating creating a YouTube channel besides the default one with my actual name. There is 25 seconds of Cotton athleticism that must be shared with the world :LOL:
I feel your excitement! Love his new cage…and can see all the love that went into it. You are starting such an incredible journey and friendship with Cotton. How often do we get to be so excited like this as adults? Revel, bask, stay awake with anticipation, and thoroughly soak it all up! I look forward to watching every moment of it you can share with us!

Most Reactions

Latest posts