African Ringneck adoptee-to-be

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Neat idea! Perch weight checks love it!
Id out a short perch in front of each dish as well.

I just saw a wall mounted perch idea, safe nit treated plywood then perches attached drilled in. Then you hang the whole plywood like a painting on the wall ...looked cool...probably not explaining very well tho...
That sounds awesome!!!!

I am amazed how well he navigates using the bars in his current cage - even upside down across the top; when I first saw that I was holding my breath he didn't fall but he had no trouble! I'd love to go e him the same access to all parts of his home not just the edges, so ideas like this are fantastic!

So far the only thing he avoids is perches that move.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
....I have been temporarily stymied by the wingnuts on a rope perch..... and my dog declaring her displeasure at late bedtime twice in a row by opening my closet and burrowing in my laundry while grunting and groaning.

It's a rough life here ;)

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
To be continued in the morning :)

PXL_20220326_022507104.jpg
PXL_20220326_022516099.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have no idea how I got so far behind! Oh my gosh, I am so excited for Cotton to finally come home, and his cage looks amazing!

I also had to mention how precious your pup is...Min Pin?

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Thank you! Hopefully I will be bringing him home today 😁

Terry, yes, she's a min pin! I almost joined the forum just to comment on your photo of Memphis last month 😄 (I think I did join a whole day or two later haha). Her name is Maynard :) Her story is one of triumph and sadness; her original owner had an abusive partner who threw Maynard off the balcony. She had a head injury and still has some neurological issues, mostly affecting her coordination.

That owner's friends took Maynard in, and Maynard ended up living with an absolutely delightful family with three small kids and two big dogs (like mastiff size big). Unfortunately the mom passed suddenly a couple of years ago, and her sister is my coworker. She asked if I'd consider taking Maynard. At the time she had no idea that I already had a min pin Buster (and a cat Oliver, both who passed last year), and of course I couldn't turn her down! That trifecta of min pin, neuro issue, and "old man name" was just too perfect for my little family 😄

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Right now he's hanging out in his travel carrier so I can finish setting up his cage with the rest of his things from his cage at the rescue.

It was good timing for him to come home - the rescue has gotten another TEN surrenders this week, and had to house a Harlequin Macaw next to Cotton overnight. The coordinator said that after the Macaw was settled they heard VERY LOUD YELLING- Mr Cotton left no doubts in the Macaw's mind that he was to stay away from Cotton's side of the world! Good job, buddy! It's the first time they've ever heard his voice aside from his scared yelling.

He was sooooo scared when he first went in the carrier, and then would cry at me when I'd check on him. In the car he was quiet and watching me until he saw me looking, then he turned his back and peeked every so slightly over his shoulder.

I gave him food and water in his travel carrier and he cried a little when I put the water in but was quiet when I tried to record him while I put in his food.

He's so small in his carrier 🥰

I asked about the discoloration above his nares since I've never seen that before and the rescue said he looks like that after he's been in his water. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

He would have been so miserable with all the new birds around him. I'm so glad he's home!

It's currently 80.2F in my living room lol ummm I've probably had it this warm most of winter (just this room) because it feels normal to me. However, it's currently only 20% humidity at Cotton's cage so I think I'm also breaking out the cool mist humidifier.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Weigh him in the carrier, then weigh the carrier after you put him in the cage.
You're a genius!!!

Oh my, I've been buying perches here and there for a while and I feel like I need 5 or 6 more haha! I need more in the front of the cage but for now this makes for easier access to vetwrap the ropes (I don't know where mine went! Probably wrapped my fruit trees for winter and forgot to restock).

...he's clicking his beak right now a Ross the room and it's super cute. Or also means he's probably about to pluck a bunch of feathers 🤪❤️

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so excited that Cotton is finally home where he belongs!
He is just so precious, and the look in his eye in the carrier is unsure of the surroundings, but sure that everything is okay because you are there.
I have to say that your adoption of Cotton is one of my favourites. Thank you so much for allowing us to share this with you!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I don't know that I would have felt comfortable enough with adopting him without this community, even though I thought he was super cute right away. I've turned down dog/cat rescues in the past when it wasn't the right time, but reading here and seeing how eager you all are to help gave me the confidence to really get to know Cotton :)

I ended up opening the door to the carrier then just holding it up to the cage - I wish I had video of his little head sticking out and looking around!! I knew I needed more perches in the front - he couldn't quite figure out how to get across so he tried to fly!!!! 😲

.....he is currently in the corner he likes in all his cages, in full view of me, and very audibly picking feathers 🪶🪶🪶 so he has Feelings about this which means he's not terrified and silent 🥰

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
awww my heart! If it wasn't stressful and all being in his new home I'd be begging for 100s of pictures!

Cotton so very much needed you! I'm glad you found him and us!

Yep Penny plucked an extra lot her first few weeks home. It will get better. Even if it continues to be lifelong

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
awww my heart! If it wasn't stressful and all being in his new home I'd be begging for 100s of pictures!

Cotton so very much needed you! I'm glad you found him and us!

Yep Penny plucked an extra lot her first few weeks home. It will get better. Even if it continues to be lifelong
I agree with all of this:)
Some of my pluckers plucked when they first got here but stopped pretty quickly stopped. Others didn't pluck at first then went to town after they started to settle in.
Hopefully he will stop soon when he starts checking everything out. Whatever he does, I know you will be there for him and love him no matter what.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
It's very hard not to take 100 photos but I know he's not a paparazzi fan 😬

I covered his cage about 2/3 last night (on the side where my neighbors porch light is bright) and left a dim light and quiet music playing. The rescue is in a storefront and leaves a lamp on at night so I know he's not used to silence or total darkness.

He was sleeping on a boing in the front of his cage 😍 One of the volunteers recommended trying it and I'm glad she did. It's the closest spot to his food and the humidifier so maybe soon he'd be ok with being misted.

He ate the walnut piece I put in the 3rd bowl ;)

Time for coffee and sunrise watching 😊

Most Reactions

Latest posts