African Ringneck adoptee-to-be

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm visiting Cotton and the rescue just this week got 4 GCC, a beautiful grey cockatiel, and a plucky CAG surrendered. The CAG is near Cotton's cage and he keeps talking to me and asking for head scritches; I wonder what he thinks about being here.

Edit: Oops make that 5 GCC surrendered, cockatiel boarding, and CAG that doesn't like other birds surrendered.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 42416

I'm visiting Cotton and the rescue just this week got 4 GCC, a beautiful grey cockatiel, and a plucky CAG surrendered. The CAG is near Cotton's cage and he keeps talking to me and asking for head scritches; I wonder what he thinks about being here.
I think parrots come in twos. 😍. I know it’s not that simple. My observation is birds who are pluckers often dislike being left alone even for a normal work day. Just having a friend to watch and to whom to call out… even in a separate cage, makes a world of difference for many of them.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I think parrots come in twos. 😍. I know it’s not that simple. My observation is birds who are pluckers often dislike being left alone even for a normal work day. Just having a friend to watch and to whom to call out… even in a separate cage, makes a world of difference for many of them.

I think that too! And I don't think Cotton will find my dog fits the job requirements :)

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
(from yesterday)

PXL_20220323_232433033.jpg
PXL_20220324_003532123.jpg

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
So.... I think they'd let me bring him home on Saturday!

They were pretty impressed that the move to the new cage hasn't spurred worsening plucking (even though we know coming home might).

I guess I'm going with a half painted living room for now 😂

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So.... I think they'd let me bring him home on Saturday!

They were pretty impressed that the move to the new cage hasn't spurred worsening plucking (even though we know coming home might).

I guess I'm going with a half painted living room for now 😂
What 2 days!!! OMG!!! So exciting!!! I hope they will let you keep couple of his things to help comfort.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I went back and forth so many times in my head about flat top vs dome top cage but decided flat top because Cotton has been climbing the inside top of his new cage. I was watching the A&E video on assembly and they said they recommend the dome top for long tail birds like ringnecks 😆 dangit too late I already decided!

It's technically a playtop but I'm undecided whether I'll put it on. I'm sure it will be a while before it would get use ;)

My supervisor is doing her final inspection after telling me 100 times it's past my bedtime!
PXL_20220325_022532621.jpg
PXL_20220325_022532621.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
love it!!!!!!!! Its going to be perfect! Love flat tops love them!!! Love white cages love them !!!
Personal preference but I've played around and traded a lot of cages over the years. Once I found my first white box lol I was sold! I've worked to get them all the same as you saw:!
It so much easier to add your own perches to a flat top, to put foraging and food bowls on them
Congratulations!!@
Count down!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
love it!!!!!!!! Its going to be perfect! Love flat tops love them!!! Love white cages love them !!!
Personal preference but I've played around and traded a lot of cages over the years. Once I found my first white box lol I was sold! I've worked to get them all the same as you saw:!
It so much easier to add your own perches to a flat top, to put foraging and food bowls on them
Congratulations!!@
Count down!

I almost bought the ones you have but it didn't look liked they'd be in stock yet. I do like the full length door on this one though - I feel like it will be a little easier to reach things without freaking Cotton out too much.

I was planning to set up a vet appointment for on the way home when I found out the date I could take him home, but I didn't have enough of a lead time (no appointments Saturday)and I dont think I want to wait just for that. Maybe I'll use the text message consult option at one of the avian vets to see what she recommends.

Otherwise a month from now I'll just ask you all how to get Cotton into a travel carrier without ruining all our progress 🤪

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Congratulations on Cotton!!! It's got to be so exciting to finally have Cotton on Sunday. You have a very nice setup for him. You are amazing for adopting Cotton, and providing him an enriched life.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Congratulations on Cotton!!! It's got to be so exciting to finally have Cotton on Sunday. You have a very nice setup for him. You are amazing for adopting Cotton, and providing him an enriched life.

Thank you! I'm excited but also nervous and then nervous that he will see I'm nervous and I don't want that ! ;) I am very much looking forward to having his home, though!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Setting up Cotton's cage tonight with what I have at home - collected over the past few months. I'm sure I'll also be able to buy some of his current perches and some of his toys are mine.

These four beaches so far are in his favored movement pattern through both his cages - I have a seagrass mat I'm thinking of putting in the top right corner - that's where his scared/safe hiding space has been
PXL_20220326_005250771.jpg
PXL_20220326_005609970.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I've noticed that after eating Cotton likes to wipe his beak on a nearby perch so I'm trying a calcium perch in between his water and food bowls.

The platform here is going to be an experiment. I ordered a scale with a perch that will hopefully be here tomorrow - it runs on batteries and my crazy idea is that I can put it on the platform and sneakily turn it on and he'll perch there to eat and I can zoom in on my Waze camera I bought to monitor my elderly dog in his last months.

🤪

I told my son he should build me a perch with a weight sensor in it. Then I found plans online from a research organization or zoo that designed one for wild birds. This might be my next project since I will need something to distract me from my unpainted trim and walls 😂

16482574215472904654514825916945.jpg

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
He started out preferring skinnier perches but it seems like as his confidence getting around has grown he's choosing foot-healthier options. Although I think 99% of his previous perch favorites were based on where he could see people without being seen :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've noticed that after eating Cotton likes to wipe his beak on a nearby perch so I'm trying a calcium perch in between his water and food bowls.

The platform here is going to be an experiment. I ordered a scale with a perch that will hopefully be here tomorrow - it runs on batteries and my crazy idea is that I can put it on the platform and sneakily turn it on and he'll perch there to eat and I can zoom in on my Waze camera I bought to monitor my elderly dog in his last months.

🤪

I told my son he should build me a perch with a weight sensor in it. Then I found plans online from a research organization or zoo that designed one for wild birds. This might be my next project since I will need something to distract me from my unpainted trim and walls 😂

View attachment 37574
Neat idea! Perch weight checks love it!
Id out a short perch in front of each dish as well.

I just saw a wall mounted perch idea, safe nit treated plywood then perches attached drilled in. Then you hang the whole plywood like a painting on the wall ...looked cool...probably not explaining very well tho...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
you can buy those plastic chains st hardware stores, like wrench uses. I hung one in the middle just attached st top hanging straight down, and they learn to climb it up. Mine never used any I hung across like wrench did for salty

Most Reactions

Latest posts