African Ringnecks

Miki_

Jan 30, 2022
Parrots
4 Lovebirds
I just wanted to know, are African Ringnecks as loud as an African grey? And do they get along with smaller birds like Lovebirds? (for when i take them out of their cages)

What's a better bird to get between an African Ringneck and an Indian Ringneck?

I'm interested in getting one, but I'm not sure which one to get.
I'm also considering to get a cockatoo but I'm uncertain.

Last edited:

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Well I know ringnecks don't usually liked to be pet or scratched much so if you like birds that like that stuff I wouldn't recommend and a ringneck and also can you elaborate on like what you want in a bird species because just gonna point out ringnecks and cockatoos are veryyyyyyy different.

OP
M

Miki_

Jan 30, 2022
Parrots
4 Lovebirds
Well I know ringnecks don't usually liked to be pet or scratched much so if you like birds that like that stuff I wouldn't recommend and a ringneck and also can you elaborate on like what you want in a bird species because just gonna point out ringnecks and cockatoos are veryyyyyyy different.
I want an affectionate bird and it must be a good talker, because I've always wanted a bird that's able to speak.

The reason i wanted to get a Ringneck is because i read online that they aren't very aggressive and they aren't as demanding as other parrots (like cockatoos).

I've always loved Ringnecks since they are the perfect size bird in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I like small birds aswell, since i have 4 lovebirds whom i love and they're adorable, but I've always wanted a bigger parrot.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I want an affectionate bird and it must be a good talker, because I've always wanted a bird that's able to speak.

The reason i wanted to get a Ringneck is because i read online that they aren't very aggressive and they aren't as demanding as other parrots (like cockatoos).

I've always loved Ringnecks since they are the perfect size bird in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I like small birds aswell, since i have 4 lovebirds whom i love and they're adorable, but I've always wanted a bigger parrot.
Ok. So...a few bubbles to burst here.
Birds are NEVER guaranteed to talk. Talking should be seen as a perk, not a dealbreaker. If you can't deal with the disappointment that comes with getting a bird, then finding they will not talk, don't get one.
They're also not guaranteed to love you. With patience, I do believe that all birds are trainable, but very few will always want a cuddle, kiss, or scritch from you. You'd be extremely lucky to get this in a bird.
Both IRNs and ARNs are friendly...in most cases. And plenty are talkers. But I would advise against getting another bird at all if you have such high expectations.

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi Miki,
Every bird is different and species generalizations cannot alway apply, especially with speaking ability and cuddliness in parrots.

I have a cockatoo, sun conures, a gcc, and budgies. The best cuddler in my house is Pancho, the chihuahua!

With birbies, there really can’t be any expectations…except to expect the unexpected and love them unconditionally!

OP
M

Miki_

Jan 30, 2022
Parrots
4 Lovebirds
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed if the bird never speaks aslong as I can build a good relationship with it. Since I've never had a bird that's able to talk it wouldn't make much of a difference, but it would be nice if it can talk.

I understand that a bird isn't guaranteed to love it's owner, but i do think that if you build enough trust then the can still become a great companion.
Ok. So...a few bubbles to burst here.
Birds are NEVER guaranteed to talk. Talking should be seen as a perk, not a dealbreaker. If you can't deal with the disappointment that comes with getting a bird, then finding they will not talk, don't get one.
They're also not guaranteed to love you. With patience, I do believe that all birds are trainable, but very few will always want a cuddle, kiss, or scritch from you. You'd be extremely lucky to get this in a bird.
Both IRNs and ARNs are friendly...in most cases. And plenty are talkers. But I would advise against getting another bird at all if you have such high expectations.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed if the bird never speaks aslong as I can build a good relationship with it. Since I've never had a bird that's able to talk it wouldn't make much of a difference, but it would be nice if it can talk.

I understand that a bird isn't guaranteed to love it's owner, but i do think that if you build enough trust then the can still become a great companion.
That's great. I guess I just misunderstood when you said "MUST talk". And yeah. I think with enough effort and patience and love, a bird can become tame...maybe not sweet and cuddly, but tame.

OP
M

Miki_

Jan 30, 2022
Parrots
4 Lovebirds
Hi Miki,
Every bird is different and species generalizations cannot alway apply, especially with speaking ability and cuddliness in parrots.

I have a cockatoo, sun conures, a gcc, and budgies. The best cuddler in my house is Pancho, the chihuahua!

With birbies, there really can’t be any expectations…except to expect the unexpected and love them unconditionally!
I understand. I only have 4 lovebirds and al four of them have completely different personalities, but i love them all the same.

Most Reactions

Latest posts