Amazing Behavioural/Training information

CathnPoe

Oct 17, 2012
Media
NSW, Australia
Parrots
1 male Eclectus, Poe.
So, I'm a little bit addicted to parrot research. :22: I only get my baby boy in December, but could practically write my PhD on the Eclectus by now (slight overstatement). This was one of the BEST sites I've come across, and while I'm sure many people will already have come across her, for those haven't, this is for you.

Anyway, Dr Susan G. Friedman works at the Department of Psychology in Utah State University. She has a website called behaviorworks.com which has got THE MOST well researched, reliable, easy to understand (a psychology minor and philosophy might help, but I like to assume most people are well read) information out there (that's free)

She goes through numerous behavioural problems, causes and how to evaluate and react appropriately. They're all in PDF formatting too!
Every parrot or pet owner should read these.

Written Works: Learning and Behavior - BehaviorWorks.com

Also, really good articles with photos, on enrichment (toys, cage setup, etc.)
Enrichment - BehaviorWorks.org

Go through her site though for more articles.
Enjoy!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you for posting those links.

Research is ALWAYS good, especially if done before bringing home a baby. :D Good for you that you're doing all this reading and research! I wish more people would go that route. ;)

OP
CathnPoe

CathnPoe

Oct 17, 2012
Media
NSW, Australia
Parrots
1 male Eclectus, Poe.
Thank you for all the compliments!
I want to be able to nip any bad behaviours in the bud right from the word 'go', so at the expense of my exams in my final year at uni, I am at least going to be able to speak extensively on parrots...
The little bugger better appreciate it :p

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Before i sell a young eclectus i always get my customers to read all those links on parrot behaviour. It does help greatly.

It's not the parrot that is at fault when their behaviour turns south it's the parrots carer that teaches the parrot bad behaviour in the first place. Then doesn't have a clue how to fix it.

I think you will just do fine. And seeing you live in Australia can i add this link.

index

OP
CathnPoe

CathnPoe

Oct 17, 2012
Media
NSW, Australia
Parrots
1 male Eclectus, Poe.
Barbara Heidenreich is great, I've recently bought her "Basics of Parrot Training: A Live Workshop". Haven't watched them yet... treating as a reward for when I finish this damn essay!
I'll write a review after I've seen it.

084bar

Oct 17, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
blue/green indian ringneck "Peanut"
Thanks I am going to look at all the PDF I have downloaded, hopeful it will have me.... Been looking so long for information just can't fined what I need

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
You sound like me! I too am getting my Oliver (male eclectus) in December and I too have been reading everything I can get my hands on, but another PhD maybe not...too much work ;o). All kidding aside, it's like I can't get enough eclectus feed!!!! And this forum totally rocks. I'm so grateful to have a place to learn from "hands on " experience. Thank you!

Lisa

Most Reactions