Amazon Frustration

Dark_Memory

Jul 24, 2011
Media
Michigan
Parrots
"Akira" - orange winged Amazon
So I am getting a bit frustrated with my Amazon, Akira that Ive had for a month now. This is the first Amazon I've had since my beloved Gongo died 5 yrs back and so far as long as we stay away from her, shes pleasant, but try and put our hand near her and she makes this hateful sound.

I thought I was making progress with her as when we approached her cage she stopped moving away and would actually stay where she was and look at you. She still only says "Hello" and "Hi" when we're face to face but when I'm running the vacuum cleaner she says alot more.

I don't know what to do with this bird, all the usual treats for a amazon she has no interest in and now when we try to pick her up, on top of making this god awful noise, she bites us.

I dont know what I am doing wrong, until today I haven't manhandled her or forced her to do something and I've tried different treats and music and stuff with her to include her. Last night she even let me take her to the shower so she could take a shower and she actually let me hold her, but today its all down hill, she's actually biting now and wont let us move near her without yelling at us.

Here is a link to an example of what she does, but she's actually 'behaving' when he shot this.

Im trying to read her body language but shes giving me mixed signals. When shes in her cage and she cant see me she dances and holds her wings out and makes the lil amazon 'come here noises' but when i come near her she yells at me. Same thing when she's on her cage, she lowers herself to the cage, holds her wings slightly open and makes the lil noises that she wants attention or to be picked up, but when i move to do so she yells at me and moves away.

I've tried ignoring her, I've tried toys, I've tried treats and I dont want to manhandle her but I'm starting to get fed up. Tips guys?

The link: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndZmOCxZx_k]Akira - YouTube[/ame]

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
1 month is a short time and from what you are writing she is just not feeling comfortable. Sooner or later she will ask for your company and untill that I just think you should give hear some "space"

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
The sounds she is making sound like she is still uncomfortable. She looks like she would like to be w/you, but is still afraid. There is no time table to her trusting you. Everything depends on the bird, how much time you have together, what might have happened to her prior to you getting her, etc. Just take it slow.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
She looks very unsure and afraid. You just have to keep trying. Remember that its all on her time, not yours.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
How old is she? We just adopted a lca who is 15 and she will not allow us to pick her up. Everytime I have tried she travels anywhere in her cage to get away. She doesn't actually bite (although if I pushed it she probably would) the fact that you can pick up akira at all is great! I'm sure in time she will come around for you! good luck! I wish we were doing as well!

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
I agree one month is way to short. It took me and Sam 6 before we could do what we do. Give her time and shell come around. They always do. There a sweet species of bird and smart.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww she looks like a wind up toy in video, but beautifull girl

but as said above, time an patiance

next time she calls you just show yourself and chat from afar, i'd imagine after a few times she'll start wanting you to go nearer to her etc

there are times when nut calls me and i do that as i know she just didn't want to be alone, rather then she wanted contact with me

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I agree with others: the mixed signals are probably because of her mixed emotions. She wants to be close to someone, but she doesn't trust you yet.

It's hard to say much seeing only one little video clip, but you moved your hand up in a 'suspicious' way ... I'd bite too!

I've worked with many aggressive animals - mostly dogs (and humans!). Most aggressive dogs are stuck in a cycle where there aggression makes everyone afraid, and fear makes humans act like idiots, and humans acting like idiots makes dogs aggressive, etc etc. I'd just walk up to them as if they were any other friendly dog, they'd threaten and snarl, and one very large st bernard grabbed my arm in his mouth - but when I didn't pull away or run or scream he just stopped, let go, and sat down. Then we started 'talking'.

If you approach her giving off signals of fear and distrust, don't expect to get comfort and trust in return.

She probably thinks she's getting mixed signals from you too!

Yes, of course this could be a bit reckless - but often the best way to avoid getting bit is to accept before-hand that you probably will get bit.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I agree with others: the mixed signals are probably because of her mixed emotions. She wants to be close to someone, but she doesn't trust you yet.

It's hard to say much seeing only one little video clip, but you moved your hand up in a 'suspicious' way ... I'd bite too!

I've worked with many aggressive animals - mostly dogs (and humans!). Most aggressive dogs are stuck in a cycle where there aggression makes everyone afraid, and fear makes humans act like idiots, and humans acting like idiots makes dogs aggressive, etc etc. I'd just walk up to them as if they were any other friendly dog, they'd threaten and snarl, and one very large st bernard grabbed my arm in his mouth - but when I didn't pull away or run or scream he just stopped, let go, and sat down. Then we started 'talking'.

If you approach her giving off signals of fear and distrust, don't expect to get comfort and trust in return.

She probably thinks she's getting mixed signals from you too!

Yes, of course this could be a bit reckless - but often the best way to avoid getting bit is to accept before-hand that you probably will get bit.

although I am not the most experienced "bird" person, I am experienced with dogs and I totally agree! I do notice that when I just walk up to Kiwi and put my hand in the cage that she isn't quite as reactive as when I slowly put my hand in there. It's as if she realizes that if I'm not scared, she isn't as scared. I still can't get her to step up however, I am hoping someday!!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
When Merlin was a baby, he wouldn't step up. I used his food dish & he stepped right up. Afraid of my hand?? Whatever worked in those 1st few weeks.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I have heard a million times how amazons can be so nasty. Not mine. The worst bites I ever took from him is when we had a battle of wills when it came to putting on a flight suit, and those bites weren't even that bad. He HAS however bit my boyfriend and it took a bit of time working with him to get him to stop attacking him. (I think a lot of his behaviour was because it was breeding season.) My boyfriend would always move his hand away really quick when Bean would growl. Now Bean gowls and bluffs and my boyfriend doesn't back down and says 'Step up' and Bean does.

My CAG, Ida, has started to bluff a bit. She doesn't like to go back in her cage and sometimes won't step up when she knows thats where she's going. I just don't back down, she's tested me, but I think she is getting it now. Mommy always wins. lol. I am not aggressive, just firm.

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
I guess it's more on us the care taker on how we react. Iv noticed that people who own amazons and had them a while, the beak fear goes away. Sams bites are nothing to deal with. I just take and and say "too hard". And he stops. And then do I. I never let him win when the nip comes. Nothing sever has happened yet thank god. He's a good bird.
Just be confident in your training. Be firm. But show love. He might react to that

Most Reactions

Latest posts