Another Rio movie

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Because it is a parrot-related forum and probably here are some Rio fans, I thought I'll create such thread for opinion discussion - how do you feel? Is it a good idea that Disney+ is making another movie?

Background information: Blue Sky is now closed, they don't work any longer. Disney+ bought their two franchises - Ice Age and Rio. This year they released Ice Age spinnoff "Adventure of Wild Back" and now they're working on Rio spinnoff "Nico & Pedro" (If I understand correctly, they also wanna make "Rio 3", but I'm a bit confused. From what I heard, they aren't sure yet if "Nico & Pedro" will be a movie or a series)

My opinion:
I've just watched "Ice Age: Adventure of Wild Back" to see how much they changed it and I'm afraid they may ruin Rio. I know, it's just an animated movie mostly for children and it has many unrealistic elements (such as Blu drinking hot chocolate, some people are annoyed that the parrots have just 3 toes) but as animated movie it also has many realistic elements - before creating the first Rio movie, the creators spent few hours in a zoo observing birds to catch their look quite right (at least I read it somewhere). And actually - most birds appeared in Rio have defined species. Sure, some of them have wrong colors. I don't know if you know, Blu is inspired by real life Spix's macaw named Presley and I'd say that the first minutes of Rio are loosely based on his life - Presley was found in Minnesota being the only Spix's macaw in US (like Blu) and his owner didn't know how rare bird they have. Because of it he was moved to a zoo in Sao Paulo to pair him with a female.
Why do I think that Disney+ may ruin it? I'm afraid that they will be making it just for money. Coming back to the newest Ice Age movie - it's not the same movie as others. I can understand the lack of Scrat (because they lost license for him) but... where is Peaches? She is Manny's daughter, so she should be there! Also, I think that the animation of the new dinos is worse. I won't be surprised if instead of blue and gold macaws, military macaws, yellow headed amazons, golden conures and other realistic background parrots, they give some abstract parrots something like pink one with a blue belly, yellow head and red tail 😝

Final note: I'm not a kind of person who thinks that the new continuation made by different studio is always worse. It's based on already watched movie made by the same studio as Rio 3 is being made.

Ps. Also I find Manny's new voice as strange but I don't know how he sounds originally in Blue Sky movies. I've heard that they aren't gonna change Rio cast voice but idk if that's true.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I didn't love the Rio movies, mainly because of all the mistakes,(AND THEM HAVING THREE TOES?!?) but when they do things like have the main character drink hot chocolate some people may think that if a movie did it, surely it's safe? Any responsible bird owner would research first probably (hopefully!)
If they make another Rio it probably will just be for money because lately I feel like Disney has been making movies and just not trying hard enough and don't make things accurate or look at who they're paying. (I'm looking at you Mulan) I haven't seen the newest Ice Age now I'm curious!

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
About 3 toes: personally I'm ok with that. I don't like when a parrot has 3 toes in front and one in back - it's so common mistake which annoys me.

About parrot care: yeah, such scenes like Blu drinking hot chocolate are annoying. However IMO everybody should know to not do the same things like in movies not checking it before if this is right. Especially animated movies - which creator cares about such details when it's mostly for children? If it was a live action movie, then I'd care more about such mistakes.

Honestly I don't watch many animated movies so I can't really have opinion about Disney. But I've seen a video of a guy who said the same thing - Disney doesn't try so hard :cry:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Not a fan of Disney.
As a child back in the day my father worked at a defense contractor and Disney would be open to all employees and children without the need for ticket booklets.
That was fun.

But we had a close family friend die at Disney (Big Thunder mountain accident) and so we no longer support Disney or any of their subsidiaries (ABC, Hulu,etc.)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Lets face it, making any movie, animated or not, has the sole purpose to make money for the studio/producers. Re: 3 or 4 toes, as a former animation student, its just much easier to animate a limited number of digits. Thats why Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny etc etc (classic animation) have 4 fingers! And some have gloves, so the hands are more substantial and easier to animate. No one complains that rabbits don't wear gloves!

Happy-Bugs-Bunny.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts