Another taking your bird out question: the cold

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
Female SI Eclectus 'Scarlet'
So its starting to get chilly here in NW Washington, and my girl loves to go out with me when I go to stores and whatnot, how cold is too cold to get her to the car and get her inside the store when we get there? I dont want her to get chilled and being that most birds are tropical that seems pretty hard to do. I would hate for Scarlet to get sick just because I wanted to take her somewhere.

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
How chilly? We are moving to Oak Harbor Jan 3. Coming from San Diego I think my lil Sunshine is in for a shock! (me too even though Ive only been here 2 1/2 yrs)
Anyway, I saw a picture on here not to long ago of a bird in a tree with snow all around, the gentleman said he takes his bird out in the cold all the time because they dont get chilled very fast. now if that is the truth or not Im not sure. Ive been wondering the same as you since we go out every single day now, Im afraid it is going to be a stressful change for Sunshine if he cant go out very often. Hopefully someone with knowledge will chime in for us. Nervous but looking forward to getting up to your neck of the woods. Any good bird stores up that way?

GCC

Oct 17, 2012
Parrots
soon to have a GCC
I was wondering that too!! Derschniffles pleAse message me if u find an answer!! Thanks :)

OP
DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
Female SI Eclectus 'Scarlet'
How chilly? We are moving to Oak Harbor Jan 3. Coming from San Diego I think my lil Sunshine is in for a shock! (me too even though Ive only been here 2 1/2 yrs)
Anyway, I saw a picture on here not to long ago of a bird in a tree with snow all around, the gentleman said he takes his bird out in the cold all the time because they dont get chilled very fast. now if that is the truth or not Im not sure. Ive been wondering the same as you since we go out every single day now, Im afraid it is going to be a stressful change for Sunshine if he cant go out very often. Hopefully someone with knowledge will chime in for us. Nervous but looking forward to getting up to your neck of the woods. Any good bird stores up that way?

Hey! You will be about an hour away or so (depending on where in oak harbor of course). We should meet up!
Right now its about 50ish. The winters get about 20 at the lowest sometimes lower but its rare. Its more of just a humid cold, not a dry cold so there is always frost and ice. It dosent snow too often, sometimes we get 2 or 3 weeks of snow, sometimes a day or two. Right now during fall its the wind thats crazy. Its worse on the island where you will be but its usually just a fall thing. So expect some power outages haha. I think it only went out twice last year for maybe 4 or 5 hours so it wasnt too bad.
As far as bird stores, I dont know about Oak Harbor as I dont get out that way too often, but here in Bellingham there is a Petsmart, Petco and a pet consignment store thats pretty cool if your looking for lightly used stuff for cheap. But like I said, Bellingham is at least an hour/hour and a half depending from where you will be. I would check the Oak Harbor/Anacortes/Burlington/Mount Vernon area as they are the closest to where you will be.

Just dont expect to have sunshine outside for more than a few minutes during the winter, especially if its windy. I guess thats why im asking, if its cold, can I at least get her to the car that i warmed up? lol. Im sure Scarlet still would like a trip to petsmart or something....

GCC, I will when I find out more info!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I would think if it's just a short period of time, it shouldn't be a problem especially if it's in the 30's or 40's. But beyond that, I would not do it. Although I expect birds are like other animals and will learn to adapt to their environment. So if you want to take her out in colder weather, I would start out at milder temps and work your way to the colder temps as long as it's only for a short period of time.

Most Reactions