Are there sounds I can play that will stop a parrot from screaming?

Quintessence

Aug 14, 2023
Parrots
None...yet, but I'm seriously considering a macaw.
I don't own a parrot yet, but am seriously considering getting a macaw. I've wanted one since I was a little kid. 😍

I know macaws can scream for various reasons, and that by reacting to the parrot screaming in any number of ways, you are (inadvertently) reinforcing the behavior.

My thought is this: are there sounds (or other cues) that I can trigger that can stop a parrot from screaming? For example, (nevermind the details), suppose I have a speaker nearby that can play the sound of a predator (hawk maybe?) when I push a button discreetly so that the bird doesn't know that *I'm* reacting, but just hears a sound that makes it want to be quiet on its own. Straight up Pavlovian conditioning: stimulus -> response. I certainly don't want to silence a parrot for being happy and letting out occasional shrieks and chirps here and there, just for any "unacceptable" screaming.

This wouldn't be considered cruel, would it? Just teaching a bird that excessive noise is not ok. That way, the bird doesn't associate my attention in ANY way with its screaming and hopefully learns quickly that normal bird-talk is OK, just no screaming.

Has anyone tried anything like this or have any opinions on it at all?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Whether that work work or not I don't know (I suspect hearing a predator would just trigger your bird to flock call a warning and thus cause more screaming)... but I do think this would be unkind. Causing fear on purpose, regardless of whether the bird associates the fear with you or with a random stimulus, seems cruel.

Also, just edit to add, there are training methods for reducing screaming in parrots, mainly by ignoring them when they scream rather than responding and encouraging it, but I for one firmly believe that if you're unprepared for random ear splitting screams, a parrot might not be for you. Every bird is different but even quiet birds might go through hormonal periods of random screaming, or might scream out of fear of random objects, etc.

Last edited:
OP
Q

Quintessence

Aug 14, 2023
Parrots
Whether that work work or not I don't know (I suspect hearing a predator would just trigger your bird to flock call a warning and thus cause more screaming)... but I do think this would be unkind. Causing fear on purpose, regardless of whether the bird associates the fear with you or with a random stimulus, seems cruel.

Also, just edit to add, there are training methods for reducing screaming in parrots, mainly by ignoring them when they scream rather than responding and encouraging it, but I for one firmly believe that if you're unprepared for random ear splitting screams, a parrot might not be for you. Every bird is different but even quiet birds might go through hormonal periods of random screaming, or might scream out of fear of random objects, etc.
OK. I appreciate the immediate feedback. That IS what I was worried about most was mean-spirited or cruel actions. Again, I'm not against random screeches or shrieks, just incessant screaming. And I guess I wasn't too clear; I wouldn't do this all the time, just when the parrot isn't responding to "classical" training. But again, anything mean or cruel goes right out the window. I just want the bird to learn that non-stop screaming is not ok (when and IF it happens).

Are there potentially other sounds that may not induce fear, but a quiet response? Again, I want my (potential) parrot to live the best, free-est, most indulged life a creature has ever lived, not one dominated by fear or other negative experiences.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Your mileage may vary, but some people play lullaby music and it helps calm their birds down. I've never tried it personally. When I leave music or aviary sounds on for my birds to entertain them I more or less expect More noise rather than less, so I can't say I have advice for sounds that will prevent screaming.

The only sure fire way to quiet a bird down when they're overexcited is darkness but it's also cruel to cover a bird in the middle of the day. There are some people who will cover the cage for 5-10 minutes as a response to screaming, I personally think it's not a kind thing to do but maybe someone else who has done it before will chime in with their advice.

I would just remember that most parrots are hardwired to fly miles every day, and we have them confined to small houses... they have a LOT of pent up energy. Truly the best cure for frustrated screaming is plenty of toys and enrichment and time out of the cage. But again every bird is an individual so even with the best daily routine some birds will just be screamers

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Really reconsider getting a parrot, esp a LARGE one like a macaw. Most parrots get vocal either at sunrise or sunset and there is really not much about that instinctual behavior one can change. Letting the flock know where everyone at those times is built into them. They get loud at other times too. My 'Zon gets loudest when the wife starts to prep dinner. But I can redirect him by singing to him or believe it or not whispering to him. Either breaks his concentration on screaming and promotes other vocalizing.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Your mileage may vary, but some people play lullaby music and it helps calm their birds down. I've never tried it personally. When I leave music or aviary sounds on for my birds to entertain them I more or less expect More noise rather than less, so I can't say I have advice for sounds that will prevent screaming.

The only sure fire way to quiet a bird down when they're overexcited is darkness but it's also cruel to cover a bird in the middle of the day. There are some people who will cover the cage for 5-10 minutes as a response to screaming, I personally think it's not a kind thing to do but maybe someone else who has done it before will chime in with their advice.

I would just remember that most parrots are hardwired to fly miles every day, and we have them confined to small houses... they have a LOT of pent up energy. Truly the best cure for frustrated screaming is plenty of toys and enrichment and time out of the cage. But again every bird is an individual so even with the best daily routine some birds will just be screamers
To add on to this, when I play aviary sounds for my birds they make a lot of happy noises, which I find to be pleasant rather than screeching. At the beginning they usually flock call but then they calm down and make happy noises. I've also covered my conures when they get too loud at times but they usually like it and make happy noises so I figure they must have been tired when they're screaming a lot.

MomofMango

May 20, 2022
Media
Alberta
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw, Mango
I wouldnt get a macaw if you're worried about how loud they can be. They are LOUD, whether happy or upset. They're very vocal creatures.
It doesn't help if you have a noisy hound dog like me....he screams her name yelling at her now lol. Learned behavior.

I play parrottv everyday in my kitchen for him. He still likes to yell, "hello" to the bird tv.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies

Honestly, even covering a bird isn’t 100% effective in my experience. If my Quaker parrot gets in a screaming fit, even putting a dark blanket over his cage won’t stop him. He just gets mad and screams more about the “lights going out” lol! I’ve worked with him a lot and he’s much better than when I got him, but sometimes a bird’s just gotta scream!

OP
Q

Quintessence

Aug 14, 2023
Parrots
OK. Thanks for your input everyone! I'm not worried about noise, in and of itself, but just long fits of ridiculous noise, adjusting for whatever length of time and time of day. I have another question about having a "pair", but I feel it's better for another thread.

Most Reactions

Latest posts