B&G Macaw Problem

OctupussPrime

Dec 3, 2012
Kuwait
Parrots
African Grey
2 Ringneck Parrot
Hello, I am a proud owner of an African Grey, Coocoo :grey:, who is now 3 years old :) he is sweet, loving and very talkative. Yesterday arrived my brother's B&G Macaw from the States where he had him for 2 years. The Macaw is 2 1/2 years old and LOVES my brother. My brother will arrive to Kuwait in a month. My problem is that his Macaw, Zazu :blue:, is always stomping his feet and biting it at the same time. I reckon that he is intimidating me, so I don't know what to do to calm him down for a month at least. He keeps getting pissed off at stuff and then wants to eat what I'm eating. I know that Coocoo and Zazu might not get along and that I need to keep watch in case a fight broke off, but I am very new to handling Zazu who so far bit me twice. Anyone know what he is up to and what might I do to become friends with him.

PS. Zazu has a HUGE cage and he also gets treats after I play with Coocoo, cause I know that maybe he might like me for those tasty snacks.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there and welcome to the forum. :)

Zazu only arrived yesterday, so everything is new to him. New home, new sounds, new faces, new everything. It will take him some time to get used to everything. :)

Please don't push him or rush him to trust you, as it will get you nowhere fast. :)

Talk to him calmly, offer him treats, and let him watch and observe, so he can realize nobody will harm him.

I would also advise you to keep him away from Coocoo, as a frightened Macaw can do quite some damage with his beak. You don't want Coocoo hurt or worse.

Just give him time to settle in. Patience, love and understanding will go a long way. :)

OP
O

OctupussPrime

Dec 3, 2012
Kuwait
Parrots
African Grey
2 Ringneck Parrot
Both birds are in a safe distance from each other. Thank you for the reply, but there is one thing I don't understand. when Zazu "wobbles" does that mean stay away or is he playing.. I am giving Zazu all the space he needs and I don't want to rush him to like me that's for sure.

I appreciate the help :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Both birds are in a safe distance from each other. Thank you for the reply, but there is one thing I don't understand. when Zazu "wobbles" does that mean stay away or is he playing.. I am giving Zazu all the space he needs and I don't want to rush him to like me that's for sure.

I appreciate the help :)

I don't quite know what you mean by "wobbles". :confused: Does he fluff up, flare up, puts out his wings a bit? If so, then that may very well mean "back off". If he's swaying from side to side, he's most likely quite nervous and afraid.

Take baby steps with him. Have him watch you so he'll learn you are no threat to him. Talk and talk and talk to him until you are blue in the face. I would avoid direct eye contact in the beginning. You could sit next to him and read out of a magazine or book, or just tell him a story. Then start by offering him treats. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts