Beaker's Intro

goofy

Dec 13, 2011
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Parrotlet "Goofy"
Cockatiel "Beaker"
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and new to cockatiels, so I'll be learning from all of you, I would guess.

First, I thought introductions were in order. My name is Patti, and I live with my husband, my four dogs, two cats, two ferrets, four goats, two horses, one parrotlet .... and now a cockatiel. :)

The horses are actually the reason I have a cockatiel now. As a couple of weeks ago, I stopped in to a grain store (not where I usually buy my grain, but just happened to be in the neighborhood) and I was going to just buy some horse feed. As I was paying for it, I happened to glance to the left, and I saw a sad little cockatiel in a tiny cage with a bare light bulb lying inside the cage. Seeing this, I was a little alarmed (lightbulbs can get HOT) and a little curious, so I walked over to look at her. She was all fluffed up, huddled as far from the lightbulb as she could get, and didn't acknowledge my presence at all. I asked about the lightbulb, and the store clerk said that since the grain store isn't heated, that was the only way they could keep her warm (this being January in New England). Hmmmmm, okay; so I asked what was the rest of the story; and they told me that the person who owned the bird had to move, and had brought her into the store and asked them to sell it for them. The price, $85, but since no one was interested and it had been there awhile, they would take half off if I wanted to purchase.

I thought about it all of ..... maybe the 15 seconds it took to note the two inches of accumulated bird droppings inside the cage, and I said "I'll take her".

So she came home. The same day, I threw the cage away and gave her a bigger (and clean) accomodation. They had been feeding her parakeet seed, but she quickly showed that she prefered a much wider variety. My parrotlet eats seed, pellets, veggies, and whatever I'm eating; and the little cockatiel seemed happy to go with that plan.

The first day she was here she was fairly aggressive, and was biting and carrying on every time I reached into the cage. She definitely led with her beak, and so we named her Beaker.

By the next morning, she had reconsidered and decided she really liked us, and she has been nothing but sweet and loving and growing in trust ever since. Beaker is fully flighted, and enjoys a spin around the house each morning, but then lands on my shoulder, and the two of us spend several hours together that way. She goes back to her cage for a snack, then quickly finds me again. I shut her into the cage in the afternoon, so I can go outside and take care of the barn pets, and she has a nap and then to enjoy just being present while we have dinner or watch television.

So that is an introduction of myself, and of Beaker. I wasn't expecting to get a cockatiel, but now that I am getting to know her, I am oh so glad that I did .. and I suspect that Beaker is pretty appreciative of how things worked out as well.

blessings,
patti

Welcome to the forum, Patti, and thank you for rescuing Beaker. It sounds like she is glad you came along as well.

I also have horses and did have 2 goats. Goats are really wonderful pets, and I'd like another.

I've got a Beaker, too. Mine is a Pionus, he named himself, but he otherwise sounds a whole lot like your Beaker - spends a lot of time on my shoulder; flies through the house to find me & I've got to lock him in his cage in the afternoon, just to get stuff done.

I've got a full house now (1 macaw, 2 amazons, 1 grey, 1 pionus, and 4 misc. 'keets), but if I had fewer, I'd probably add a cockatiel.

Enjoy her!

Hi Patti

Welcome to the forums...

Good on you for rescuing Beaker... It sounded like he was in dire need of a new home...

Welcome to the forum flock! Beaker is lucky you came along! :)

Welcome to the forum!!! Beaker is one lucky bird to have you! Cockatiels are wonderful birds to own. One of my first love is a Cockatiel. Even with all the big birds we have, it isn't complete without a Cockatiel. :)

Awwwwwe..good for you!

I'd have done the exact same thing...I'm a total sucker and not ashamed to admit it.

You sound alot like myself with all your menagarie of pets. I had goats before too - Ringo, Brave and Victor...and still would if I didn't have to move. I absolutely loved them. Also have horses, cats, birds, fish, dogs...yeah...

I hope you can share a picture of Beaker in the near future, she's so lucky you came along. :)

Thank you!

Toni

So glad you decided to take in Beaker ; )

I'm sure he/she will warm up to you eventually... a cockatiel was my first bird and I fell in love with them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back