Best way to help conure adjust to new home & new cage

pixelandmort

Nov 16, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Nanday Conure
Hello! My nanday conure Mort and I might be moving into my boyfriend's house (with plenty of warning, at least 6 months til the move), where things will be remarkably different than at our current home. I am wondering the best way to ease Mort through the changes.
She is going to have her own room and will be able to be covered more consistently at nighttime, and will need to adjust to a new house and schedule in general. As well as attempting to train her to not yell as much. She is VERY noisy, even for a bird. (we are well aware birds are going to make noise, just trying to cut down on the unnecessary yells due to neighbors!)
She is still adjusting to my boyfriend since he is not around often enough for her to make friends, if there are any helpful tips for getting a shy, therefore sometimes aggressive bird, to adjust better to new people. I am almost certain it is just going to require time and patience, she adjusted to my father and I very well when we adopted her.
Also, Mort is in need of a better cage and was wondering if anyone has cage suggestions, and tips for switching cages as well. She currently is able to climb onto a table next to her cage and is allowed out at all times while I'm home, but at the new house she will spend more time in her cage.

Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for reading the long post! XOXO

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi,
You said her own room? She really should be in the middle of everything, otherwise you may find her yelling even more! As for covering and sleep time, just train yourself to be more aware of the time. My JoJo is in the living room and I always sit with the TV on till midnight-ish. Until 2 months ago, I always left his light on till I went to bed. Well, we often sit outside together as the sun sets, and watching him, I could see he was getting quiet/sleepy as it got dark. This is a good 3-4 hours sooner than my normal routine!
I now, at dusk, light off, few minutes later, 3/4 cover his cage. Results? No more nightly yelling, and I believe, a much happier bird! Healthier too?

OP
P

pixelandmort

Nov 16, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Nanday Conure
I guess I should've worded it better! We have every intention of having her on her playstand in the living room, but since I'm on second shift and I was the only one caring for her before, keeping her on a sleep schedule was difficult, so she will only be in 'her' room to sleep, or when we aren't home. My bf is on first shift so we'll be able to be with her most of the day, which I think will help her volume tons.

Hi,
You said her own room? She really should be in the middle of everything, otherwise you may find her yelling even more! As for covering and sleep time, just train yourself to be more aware of the time. My JoJo is in the living room and I always sit with the TV on till midnight-ish. Until 2 months ago, I always left his light on till I went to bed. Well, we often sit outside together as the sun sets, and watching him, I could see he was getting quiet/sleepy as it got dark. This is a good 3-4 hours sooner than my normal routine!
I now, at dusk, light off, few minutes later, 3/4 cover his cage. Results? No more nightly yelling, and I believe, a much happier bird! Healthier too?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good for you, for caring and PLANNING!
Best of luck to you and your new blended family/flock! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts