Bird Name Suggestions?

Sarah.K

Jan 25, 2021
Hey everyone,

I will be getting a blue and gold macaw this year and am looking for some great name suggestions. Any great names or what is your birdā€™s name? Thanks!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I've always, well mostly, gone for unusual names for pets. Salty is my yellow shoulder Amazon. Tinker is our dog.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I had a bunch of names chosen for albie (but Albie wasn't on my list)

I had:
Heihei
Nugget
Tiki
Heiura (I really liked this, it means crown of feathers)
Stitch
Lilo
To name a few but none of them suited my little guy. I reached out to my clients for some ideas and there was a lot suggesting Albert. It didn't quite fit so I shortened it to albie and I got a reaction from him so he became Albie. I cant imagine him as anything else now.

My point is you may pick out loads of names, but it may not be the one that suits your bird. You may find a name you adore that suits him that you never considered like I did with Albie.

Its an unusual name too as I've only met 1 other albie and he's a dog!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With near all of our Amazon coming already with their names and with great luck, all of their names had not been assigned by some jerk, we have stayed with those names.

I have always viewed names as personal connection between the two of you. Face to face interactions fairly quick develops into a connection, followed by a name.

FYI: There are literally tons of Blue and Gold Macaws out there in search of a new home! Strongly recommend that you allow an Adult rescue to choose you! You will find that they are much better at it than Humans. Remember that the Large Macaws can easily live beyond 75 years and as an Adult, their personalities are already fully in place.

Macaws are wonderful Companion Parrots that commonly loose their homes because they are loud! Assure that your living arrangements can accommodate a voice that can compete with a jet engine.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'd say it's hard to know before you have the bird. If it's a re-home, I tend to think keeping the name is best (if it's familiar/established). Otherwise, I'd meet bird and name when you do.

MelloYello

Jan 11, 2021
A galaxy far far away
Parrots
MelloYello-Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I always prepare names for animals, jotting down these huge lists, but I usually never go with any pre-thought of names. The perfect name just came to me the moment I met my birdo. Whatever your first instinct is, that's usually the perfect name.
Here are a few for inspiration:
Sho
Sammich
Rambo
Jergen

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I planned on naming my newest Jupiter, but named him Orbit.
Ta-dah was going to be Pearl or Opal, but she us always Ta-dah! Here i am! I opened the little box she came home in , and I swear she was like Ta-dah here I am! Let's get the party started. She has managed to escape ever cage I've ever had her in, (4 different styles) then you guessed it ,flys to me Ta-dah !!! I love her! Whatever the parrot word is in her native bird speech I'm sure it's Ta-dah! I hear it loud and clear!
So yes its lots of fun to think and dream and get the juices going, but when you meet them, the name seems to find you!

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
My bird is Bumble, because when parrotlets hatch they are roughly the size of a bumblebee. Might not be suitable for a Mac [emoji23]

I would just be careful to not name them something that every other bird is named. Charlie, Peanut, Kiwi, etc. I prefer names that are more original (my chihuahuas were Godzilla and PopTart, for example)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
somewhere you'll never find me
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
Pirate maybe (i don't know first name that popped in my head:D)
Other than that maybe name them when you get to know them, and it'll just come naturally. I find that names more on the unusual side fit best (my humble opinion obviously :p) But I named my GCC Kiwi which is extremely popular but I chose it anyways because it just fit and I can't really imagine him with another name, so I just invalidated my opinion:D
Don't stress about it! Its a fun process if you let it be.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Reacher ( Lee Childs main character)
Dakota
Ranger ( Stephanie Plum novels, hot bounty.
hunter)
Pluto. ( since I have Neptune)
Mcgraw
MacGyver
mackintosh
Big Foot
Bam Bam
Wallaby

Last edited:

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
I would have to go along with Noodle, and say wait til you get the bird. All my parrots I have had once they came home and saw how they acted thats when I named them. I had a GCC and a jenday conure. I bought them together. They were unsexed
I named them Amos and Andy. When I got the dna back they were both females. They stayed Amos and Andy.
Axel my galah received his name about a week after he came home. Since he is a rosebreasted cockatoo. I went with Axel (axel rose from guns and roses).
It's fun to get a bunch of names lined up, the excitement of getting your bird. But you will see.that once you get them home it will all change. Can't wait to see a picture.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I'm great at coming up with names:

NANCY ...!

The bird's name is Nancy.