birdy beaks

_cisco_

Jun 17, 2016
california
Parrots
blue crowned conure
:green: :33:I've had my bird for 7 years now and he is seven years old and I'm 15 so I'm going to be with him for a very long time he's quite loud and I'm surprised my family hasn't sold him behind my back lol, he's a blue crowned conure so as many people know they have a LOUD scream...
and is my little feathery cuddle buddy.
I've never really had health problems with him yet since the day I got him so this is my first time being concerned about him right now
for the past two days I've noticed some marks on the right side of his beak.
he rubs his face with his foot and massages his nose and head and sometimes rubs his beak and he likes it very much but lately I've noticed some indentions in his beak and some small hole that his claws fit into I cant tell if he's picking at it or just rubbing but either or I'm trying to keep him from doing it. I filed it with a small soft spongey thingy and it helped quite a bit, I didn't do much because I didn't want to make it worse i just wanted to buff it so I can see it a little better. its not sensitive to the touch he doesn't bite me when I rub or touch the area.
but he is mad at me for filing his beak he doesn't like it and he does idk he's a picky green butt.:p
but these holes are concerning me the most ive looked up what I could and nothing seemed to be what his beak is doing, I don't know if its mites I have a neighbor who works with birds and she doesn't know what it is she says the area might just me weak from constant scratching but I'm trying to make sure just in case it is something crazy.:(:confused:
I just dab it with a q tip with water to keep it clean...

I just want to be sure so my bird wont have to sit with it for a long time until we can get him to a vet.
I care about him so much besides my brother he's the only other thing I hang out with most I don't want anything happening to him...

that u very much for any adive u have ^^*:eek::green:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
:green: :33:I've had my bird for 7 years now and he is seven years old and I'm 15 so I'm going to be with him for a very long time he's quite loud and I'm surprised my family hasn't sold him behind my back lol, he's a blue crowned conure so as many people know they have a LOUD scream...
and is my little feathery cuddle buddy.
I've never really had health problems with him yet since the day I got him so this is my first time being concerned about him right now
for the past two days I've noticed some marks on the right side of his beak.
he rubs his face with his foot and massages his nose and head and sometimes rubs his beak and he likes it very much but lately I've noticed some indentions in his beak and some small hole that his claws fit into I cant tell if he's picking at it or just rubbing but either or I'm trying to keep him from doing it. I filed it with a small soft spongey thingy and it helped quite a bit, I didn't do much because I didn't want to make it worse i just wanted to buff it so I can see it a little better. its not sensitive to the touch he doesn't bite me when I rub or touch the area.
but he is mad at me for filing his beak he doesn't like it and he does idk he's a picky green butt.:p
but these holes are concerning me the most ive looked up what I could and nothing seemed to be what his beak is doing, I don't know if its mites I have a neighbor who works with birds and she doesn't know what it is she says the area might just me weak from constant scratching but I'm trying to make sure just in case it is something crazy.:(:confused:
I just dab it with a q tip with water to keep it clean...

I just want to be sure so my bird wont have to sit with it for a long time until we can get him to a vet.
I care about him so much besides my brother he's the only other thing I hang out with most I don't want anything happening to him...

that u very much for any adive u have ^^*:eek::green:

Sometimes the simplest answer is the best answer. Get him to the vet asap. There is always risk of infection, disease, or parasite. Things can go downhill quickly for our feathered friends.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums!!!

Your description of his beak is excellent, but a pic would be helpful! Parrots often rub, pick, or otherwise modify their beak in a ritualistic manner. It can become a habit or obsession much as humans bite their nails, fiddle with their hair, or, or display various mannerisms.

If you see such mutilation, and I use the word loosely as this does not seem terribly injurious, a pleasant distraction may be helpful. If that temporarily "breaks" the behavior, provide a suitable reward.

An avian vet check will be of great help.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

OP
_cisco_

_cisco_

Jun 17, 2016
california
Parrots
blue crowned conure
its exactly y i am so worried
thanks for ur words of wisdom
maybe ur right ill try

Most Reactions