broken tail feathers and was he poined?

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I noticed a few broken tail feathers on my macaw, he has very nice feathering just aside from that? I noticed it on other birds as well maybe one or 2 feathers

But my macaw cant fly but wings are not clipped they just never grew back he has no flight feathers

Was he poined as a chick? That sucks good thing hes indoor

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I've noticed in some birds that IF they were clipped, they would chew the stems down to the skin to the point it will not fall out unless they were pulled. I had to have that done to Willie in the past, a vet lady was nice enough to help me pull out at least 7 wing feathers and they have grew back nicely. That was after several years of not molting out. He still have about 4 more left, but the lady quit so I dunno who I'm gonna get to help me pull the rest. So you need to have his wings observed closely, I tried to pull them myself but it's hard without someone holding him. Perhaps I'll get my neighbor to hold him for me again, she helped me last time when I trimmed his nails.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Pinioning isn't very commonly done in the parrot world. Instead, we just clip their wings.

It would help if we could see pictures of the wings extended, perhaps even up close photos to see if he has any feathers or not.

As far as tail feathers... well, young macaws do tend to be rough on their tail feathers. A small cage or perches placed too close to the bars can also result in broken tail feathers.

Most Reactions

Latest posts