Cage paint

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
Can anyone tell me if there is a safe cage paint??? I was given a huge flight cage and it has seen better days - I have sanded out the few tiny rust spots, However I was told just any ol paint by Lowes! NOT TRUE- I said!! So I reach out to you the experts - is there any safe paint and how long should I let it set ect! anyone have any answers or is there anyone who has painted a cage??
Thanks in Advance for your answers!!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As a very general statement, other than a full strip and re-powder coating, all other paints have problems. especially oil based paints.
Recently, epoxy paints (commonly used on plastic and metal products) has become more common in the market place. The product seems to provide a stronger connecting with the base product, i.e. Metal. That said, there has been very little Parrot vs. Paint testing and you will become a test site if you choose to try it. Preparation is a key as the product has to be able to form a strong bond.

It is worth looking at, but understand that any sign of peeling /flacking and it becomes dangerous.

If any of your Parrots like chew the bars, etc. I would not use any paint product other than Powder coating.

Last edited:
OP
Niteldy

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
As a very general statement, other than a full strip and re-powder coating, all other paints have problems. especially oil based paints.
Recently, epoxy paints (commonly used on plastic and metal products) has become more common in the market place. The product seems to provide a stronger connecting with the base product, i.e. Metal. That said, there has been very little Parrot vs. Paint testing and you will become a test site if you choose to try it. Preparation is a key as the product has to be able to form a strong bond.

It is worth looking at, but understand that any sign of peeling /flacking and it becomes dangerous.

If any on your Parrots like chew the bars, etc. I would not use any paint product other than Powder coating.
Thank You sooo Much! Now another question- where would I look for someone to powder coat?? Just call me a Lost old lady! LOL

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
In the old days, I'd have said "look it up in the Yellow Pages," but that doesn't work anymore. ;) You can try an online search for powder coating in [name of your city]. I tried for my location and got a list of several local businesses that do powder coating.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I think you will find it cheaper to just buy a new cage, rather then try to have one powder coated. I had a few motorcycle parts powder coated like 10 years ago. It was damn expensive, and these were not big parts. To re=powder coat something, all the old finish has to be removed, so the metal part is electrically conductive. That allows the 'powder' to be attracted and then cured. Forgot about that part - the freshly powder coated part has to be oven cured, which allows the powder to now transform into a solid, strong coating. Its doubtful the local applicator is going to have the massive curing oven needed to process cage panels.

Most Reactions