Caique diet/eating habits?

zigfig

Sep 2, 2021
Parrots
Caique
Hi everyone,

I have a 4/5 month old white bellied caique (i was under the impression that he was a bit older when i got him about a month ago). I ran out of nuts two days ago, which I usually incorporate with training, and now he has been eating a lot more vegetables, I feel like a bit too much.

The other problem that i seem to have is that he is so picky, seems to only eat corn and carrots and throw everything else out. Iā€™ve tried to incorporate various pellets and seeds but he avoids them! Iā€™ve also tried different fruits but he just throws them out, only likes bananas :/

I want the best for him so any advice or tips/tricks would be much appreciated, heā€™s such a sweet little guy šŸ™‚ Thanks in advance!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
For getting him to eat other veggies, sprinkle seeds on them or stuff them in a favorite toy for a fun foraging opportunity, he will eventually eat them (hopefully). Also definitely get him to eat pellets. Soak them, crush them, mix them with a favorite food, whatever it takes. Don't make him switch cold turkey, unless you are able to weigh him regularly to see if he is losing too much weight. Good luck with your picky caique, hope you have him eating healthy soon

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Does He like to try what your eating? If so, make up a plate of things you want him to eat and eat them your self making lots of excited yummy noises.

Parrots are social eaters and he may not realise his food is food if he's not been taught he can eat it. The way they learn What's safe to eat is by watching their flock member eating, aka watching you eat all the yummy good foods.

zeenie

Nov 21, 2015
This is a question: Is it okay to give them celery? Do I have to remove the strings from the celery stalks?

Most Reactions

Latest posts