Can I Transport Lovebirds Frequently?

BeginnerBirdLady

Mar 23, 2018
Parrots
None.
Hello. I’m considering acquiring a Peach Faced lovebird. I’m a first time bird owner, so I need a little information. My sister and I are planning to get two birds. But we go from my mothers house to my dads every week or so.

So I was wondering if it would be bad for a pair of lovebirds to have two homes at two houses?

Thanks! :green1:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It is possible, but not recommended. You would have to have large cages in each house as well as a transport carrier for the birds to bring them to one and back. But birds don't normally adjust very well to being constantly upheaved and moved to another place, it causes them stress.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Parrots, even little ones, are such a big investment in time and money and attention. If you two are still in school and splitting your time between two parents' houses, you might find lovebirds a bit of a demand. You sound like a serious and caring young lady, and I like how you're reaching out for ideas.
Travel and change can stress birds out, as itzjbean suggested. Some birds handle it better than others. You won't know until you see the individual personalities you're dealing with. Then there are the concerns of clipping wigs or not, transport safety/escape/etc... weather issues...
Have you handled birds before? As you're probably aware, they aren't as straightforward as puppies or kittens. They don't socialize and obey and participate in family life in the same ways, usually.
Have you considered other pet options?
Please bring your parents in on the discussion and sede what they think.
Good for you for doing your research!

tanyamitchellrn

Nov 17, 2017
Northwest Illinois
Parrots
Kaya Cockatoo, EJ Amazon, Pepper African Grey, Casey IRN, Glen Sun Conure
My sister and I are planning to get two birds. But we go from my mothers house to my dads every week or so.

I was wondering if it would be bad for a pair of lovebirds to have two homes at two houses?

There are lots of factors to consider here. I like the 2 post responses you have already received and it is wise to research this! However, as another already said, it can greatly depend on the personalities of the birds. Also, you are going to get some responses saying a bird isn’t for you... Here’s my opinion and why.
It’s ALL going to depend on how much time you give your feathered friends and how much you want to tote back and forth with you. If you spend lots of time with them and condition them to ride on your shoulder well, they will do great in the car. If you can’t condition them to lots of holding and riding, then you’ll have to get a carrier cage. It will also be necessary to have a full set up at each place. It’s just easier on you and I found my birds like the change of toys.
HERES MY STORY AND WHY IT CAN BE DONE. I have 4 birds; Umbrella Cockatoo, Blue Fronted Amazon, Indian Ringneck, Parrotlet. I commute with all 4 of them, plus 2 dogs, between two homes, twice a week and it’s an hour and a half trip each direction. I have a full set up of cages, toys and food at each house. Two birds wear flight suits and ride on our shoulders, and two birds have travel cages (which they prefer). When it’s cold out, I made a warm travel cage cover and you can put a warm water bottle in it to keep them warm. They tolerate it well and it’s all in a routine.
Good luck with your choices. It really is a big commitment (way more than having a dog!) but it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions