Can my budgie stop liking me after breaking a constant bonding routine just for 2 days?

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
2 Blue Budgies, the female is Skittle and the male is Milo.
So I’ve been making pretty good progress with my budgies but yesterday I wasn’t really able to play with them for that long because I was at a baseball game for a big part of the day and I painted my nails so I didn’t want the strong smell to harm them in any way, I’m also going to be gone for the whole day again today and I fear my budgies will start to get scared of me again, is this something I should be actually worried about or will my budgies still like me? I’ll still be able to have a few hours with them but I don’t feel like it’s enough. Here’s a picture of my female budgie, Skittle.
CA9ECF87-3ADC-4BAF-B396-06D540FC5AE2.jpeg

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Well, all I can say is it depends on the bird's personality but it looks like you're doing really good progress.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
They may be scared of the painted nails, so I wouldn't be shocked if they suddenly seem less tame. With my (very sleepy) little guys, I've been gone for a week, come home, and they're perfectly fine! Of course, they had my dad as a pet-sitter, but they still didn't get much interaction. With my budgies, if I want to be left alone, they'll sometimes leave me alone, but if I want to interact with them, they're right there! Or at least Stormy and Picasso are.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Agree 100% with ollie, my bird sky is AFRAID of painted nails so that's why I don't wear them often
when I left my birds for a week I had a babysitter who gave us lots of updates and pics of the bird so it was hard to miss them cause she always kept us updated, when I came back sky was so happy she missed me but tofu chill like nothing ever happened tofu prefers bird while sky wants to be human.

OP
Kitty16

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
They may be scared of the painted nails, so I wouldn't be shocked if they suddenly seem less tame. With my (very sleepy) little guys, I've been gone for a week, come home, and they're perfectly fine! Of course, they had my dad as a pet-sitter, but they still didn't get much interaction. With my budgies, if I want to be left alone, they'll sometimes leave me alone, but if I want to interact with them, they're right there! Or at least Stormy and Picasso are.
When we first got them I had a painted nails and they don’t really mind them, I had painted nails because it was the day we got back from a out of the state vacation, I only paint my nails for special occasions really.

OP
Kitty16

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
Your budgies are smart enough to remember you for months or even years. A day or two won’t make them forget you. They might be a bit grumpy but they will get over it.
Which I’m glad of, as I’m writing this they’re both on my hand.

Katrina38

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Roscoe- english budgie
We just went away on a 9 day vacation and our budgie stayed home (a pet sitter came two times a day for fresh water, putting back in his cage for the night etc) and when we got home he was angry. I mean, lunging at me and wouldn't come on my finger fo the life of me. It took about 1.5 weeks to get back to normal.. I think he was pretty upset he was left alone. But on the flip side, I have to go into the office 2 days a week and he is totally fine on those days by himself. I think its just personalities.. I wouldn't worry too much about a day or two.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I just came back from a week-long vacation. Thankfully, the pet-sitter (a teen friend of the family) did incredibly well, and she even played with the budgies! She couldn't make it on the last day (but left extra food). The budgies got super angry and trashed the room. Then they were all over me when I came home!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I just came back from a week-long vacation. Thankfully, the pet-sitter (a teen friend of the family) did incredibly well, and she even played with the budgies! She couldn't make it on the last day (but left extra food). The budgies got super angry and trashed the room. Then they were all over me when I came home!
Stormy this is so good to hear! I bet your flock is super happy you're home after their own week of fun :)

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Sometimes ill go somewhere for 2-3 days and my Mom or Dad will take care of my birdies while im gone and ill come back andmy birdies they'll shun me for a few hours pretend like there mad then they'll get over it and come ask for scritches and treats again like normal :)

Most Reactions