Can your bird cause you hearing loss?

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Perjo will coax her way onto my shoulder everyday now, a rookie mistake on my part I'm sure, yet we both enjoy it and we vocally interact like we usually do. She occasionally whistles and she can whistle very LOUD and in a high pitch and it is piercing to my ear.

Ever hear of someone losing hearing due to their bird?

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
It can happen.

On the other hand, birds regrow the hairs in their ears that are damaged by loud noises. So they don't lose their hearing from squawks!

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
You definitely can. Any loud noise, especially up close can do so. Macaws and cockatoos can be louder than a chainsaw! I don't know that you can ever say for certain "my hearing worsened from xyz," but yes these are very loud animals

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
A friend of mine's TAG ruptured his ear drum being on his shoulder and screaming in his ear, so yes, not only can you lose hearing but you can sustain real damage if your bird is intent on screaming while that close to your ears.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
A friend of mine's TAG ruptured his ear drum being on his shoulder and screaming in his ear, so yes, not only can you lose hearing but you can sustain real damage if your bird is intent on screaming while that close to your ears.

Wow an eardrum ruptured by a TAG?! I bet there are definitely some Large Mac and Too owners out there with some damage. Sounds like it can happen with less noise than that when it happens at close range.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I used to work at a place where parrots had an indoor "feeding" component, and an outdoor 'natural' component to their enclosures. During the daily morning and afternoon feed, every single bird would be inside, screaming their heads off for food - that's over 60 cockatoos, birds of paradise and macaws in a VERY small area!
I wore earplugs :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Perjo will coax her way onto my shoulder everyday now, a rookie mistake on my part I'm sure, yet we both enjoy it and we vocally interact like we usually do. She occasionally whistles and she can whistle very LOUD and in a high pitch and it is piercing to my ear.

Ever hear of someone losing hearing due to their bird?

I think it's possible over a period of time it may have an effect.

Have you tried whispering to her when she does it? They love to copy and she may pick up it's too loud. You never know she may whisper back which is what my holiday RB2 does to us now ha ha :)

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, yet another in the already long list of reasons not to allow one's parrot on your shoulder.

If your ear has a ringing or white noise rasp after the 'event,' your parrot is exceeding the decibel level of damage. If the ringing or rasp goes away within a couple of days and does not return, you got lucky this time! If you notice a lost in your range of hearing or the ringing or rasp does not go away (which in an of itself is a lost of hearing range), what you have is likely not going to improve or go away.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What was that you said?:p

Yes, I'm pretty certain some larger species of parrots are in fact loud enough to theoretically cause some hearing damage (dependent of course on exposure and proximity). I think it would be rare though as we typically move away from them or put them in time out when they are screaming at a volume that would peel the paint off the walls and don't allow it to continue for hours at a time every day (or I'd hope no one was allowing that). I don't think the occasional whistle or loud noise would be harmful.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
While I can start training her to whisper it's not as effective as weening her off of my shoulder.

For 18 month old CAG she can hit high notes and with some volume.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
While I can start training her to whisper it's not as effective as weening her off of my shoulder.

For 18 month old CAG she can hit high notes and with some volume.

If you go through 'unwanted behaviour' routine she may pick up that it's unwanted on your shoulder. She is still a baby (bless) and could be a little exuberant in her vocalizations. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts