Cockatiel vs eclectus?

Birdlover55

Jan 24, 2018
Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right place for this post or not. I've googled for a topic on this specific thing but haven't found anything either.
I have been doing tons of research lately and am stuck. I have a budgie (soon to be 2) and he's wonderful, and I've had budgies for a long time, ever since I was a little kid, but no other birds. A family member has had an African grey for many many years and I've been around her quite a bit but that's about it. I would really love to own a new kind of bird and experience something a little (cockatiel) or a lot (eclectus) different.

I am looking to add another bird to my family and am stuck between 2 birds. A cockatiel and an eclectus, specifically a male eclectus. I know some of the pros and cons of each one, and the extra care with an eclectus in regards to diet etc. But I am still stuck. I like that they both have a reputation for being sweeter birds. I am truly looking for a feathered child for myself. My husband also really likes birds so it's also going to hopefully be partially for him :p

We currently live in an apartment, and I know an eclectus is out of the question until I get a house. And I'm a little concerned a cockatiel might be also? I know someone who had to get rid of her cockatiel due to a noise complaint from a neighbor. :( So I know that we may not be able to get either bird until my husband and I have a house anyway. But hopefully that won't be too far off in the future. I want to start saving and planning ahead of time.

I do work 8 hours a day, mon-fri. But am home the rest of the time. The other pets in the house will be 2 budgies and a cat. A bird that likes its head scratched etc is a bonus but not a requirement. I could go either way. I would really love a bird who would sit on me a lot and just generally spend time with me. :)

People who have experiences with both cockatiels and eclectus parrots, which one do you prefer and what is your reasoning?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Eclectus is surely out if youā€™re in an apartment. A cockatiel might work better.

If you can wait until you buy a a home then itā€™s really on you. You say you canā€™t decide if a big difference or little difference is what you want. unfortubaty we canā€™t help you there. Thatā€™s really only something you can answer.

I will say I absolutely love my male ekkie and am very happy with him but heā€™s WORK. And when cared for properly will take up for more room than a cockatiel. It then becomes a question of if youā€™re ok with giving up more space in the living room.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I have no experience with electus but I'd say a cockatiel would be better for your situation. they are a little more skiddish in my opinion but maybe that's probably a personality trait that doesn't extend to every cockatiel. Mine is not loud, he calls for me sometimes but it's nowhere near the volume of my bigger conures. Plus he whistles balads to me and I absolutely love being serenated by him. You'll fall in love with a cockatiel's little hat too. I always tell mine "put your hat down, there's nothing to be excited about!" He's not as cuddly and he's less social than my other conures but I would adopt another tiel in a heartbeat. They are among my favorite (as well as inexpensive) parrots to have as a companion.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Iā€™ve never had an eclectus but to me cockatiels are the perfect bird. Ducky is very quiet, only making noise when I leave the room when he calls to me. He is cuddly (snuggles up under my chin, gently nudges my cheek, asks for scratches) smart (does lots of tricks, flight recall trained) and overall a great bird. He just loves to be out and spend time with people, whatever youā€™re doing. He never, ever bites or even nips hard enough to cause discomfort. Thatā€™s my experience with my cockatiel; I hope some more ekkie parronts show up to give you an idea of what theyā€™re like.

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Another one here endorsing a cockatiel. Can't really go wrong with one. My tiel cuddles and is quiet unless making his contact calls, otherwise unless he hits a feather while molting then he sounds like a conure, which is very rare. I only mention getting a cockatiel because you have budgies and tiels are a little bigger than them. All birds are individuals and have their own personalities, etc. Unless you plan on getting a house soon, to get an eclectus when moved in. Really, parrots like ekkies and others would do better living in a house because of neighbors. Other ekkie parronts will chime in.

OP
B

Birdlover55

Jan 24, 2018
Thanks for the answers everyone! Very helpful! :) This is a tough decision.

Most Reactions

Latest posts