Cockatiel vs Quaker parrot?

Pisco1412

Jan 8, 2015
I'm making a decision to pick up either a cockatiel or a quaker parrot; both are hand-fed/tame and both are male. They're both sold at a shockingly bargain price conveniently at the same time.

Which bird should I purchase (as I can only own one pet at home)??

From my previous experience with cockatiels, I found mine was very skittish, timid, and shy, while territorial, and a little stubborn and distant with the exception of when he wanted something from me (like a snack or he was spooked and wanted some company).

What are quakers and cockatiels like as to their: noise level, boldness/skittish-ness, or affection toward human owners?

Like I'd like a parrot that would PLAY with me rather than just sit on my shoulders when he/she is lonely or bored.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hi and welcome to the forums! It would be tough for me to choose one of those two species. I have two quakers and a cockatiel and I think both species are great. Quakers are a lot louder than cockatiels, but cockatiels can also be very vocal when they want to be heard. Quakers are a bit more challenging to care for. Typically adult quakers aren't really known for being super friendly, they are quite clever and usually respond well to training. I would suggest you spend time with both birds and see how they interact with you. I think either species could be a good choice for you.

JoeR

Aug 8, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Parrots
2 Cockatiels
1 Quaker
We have 2 Cockatiels and a Quaker. Our Quaker isn't as vocal as some that I have met, but when he squawks I can hear him over 100 feet away from the house with the windows closed. He doesn't approach the sound level of some bigger birds I've seen though, and because he isn't always vocalizing, I wouldn't say he is bothersome. He is also very cage aggressive, but friendly to my wife once we get him out. He tolerates me well enough to clean his cage and handle him regularly.
It is beyond my skills to train him to not bite me at his cage, however I am having better success in training him to bite me lightly instead. Now I'm wishing i had thought if this sooner. We both win. He gets to defend his cage and I don't get pinched. (I learned this while working with a terrified foster cockatiel that had been found outside.)

Our cockatiels are more social than our Quaker, and are more willing to participate in training. They also prefer being with people instead of playing alone.
My advice to anyone looking to get a bird is the same.
Bird personalities vary widely within the species. It is better to spend time with multiple birds until you find one that likes you as much as you like it. I think you spend some time with these 2 birds it will soon become evident if either one of them should come home with you.
My 2 cents. (actual street value)
Joe

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The Quaker I used to have, I handfed him myself since he was a baby, when he got older he got very territorial in his cage. But he was a good baby. They are definitely louder then Cockatiels. But mine was a very good bird when I'm trying to sleep since his cage was near by my bed. When he start screeching I would say Cracker Hush, he sit still and not make a peep until I get up. My family watched it one day and couldn't help themselves but to fall in love with him.

I've been raising Cockatiels for many years as you can search through some of my old postings of me posting baby Cockatiels from the day they hatch until fledge. If they were socialized and trained properly, they're wonderful birds that like to be where ever your at and get into your business like no tomorrow.

Both are wonderful birds to have around, it is up to you on what you decide. Visit both and go from there.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I've never had a Quaker, but I did have a cockatiel. And I agree wholeheartedly with Michael. When properly socialized, they are amazing companion birds! Friendly, loving, playful and smart! And not too loud, either. (At least, not in my experience.)

And I also agree with all the wonderful advice about handling both birds, first. Sometimes one just winds up choosing you. Good luck on your decision, and please keep us updated.

Most Reactions

Latest posts