Color Fading?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
My 5 year old Pineapple Conure always had very vibrant colors. But looking at him today he seems a bit “dull”.
He appears healthy. Is doing is normal playing and stuff.
Is this a normal trend at his age? Winter? Food?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Disregard my post. We just recently moved to a new home and where he was playing, the light was poor.
He‘s sitting with me near a window and his color seems fine.
Guess it’s my senior eyes.
I know lots of older folks that can't believe how vibrant colors look after having cataract surgery. Apparently your internal lenses get dingy slowly with age and after lens replacement surgery things are bright and vibrant like when you were a child PLUS many vision problems (nearsightedness especially) are corrected too. Not saying we should all run out and get cataract surgery if we don't need it but its an added plus.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I know lots of older folks that can't believe how vibrant colors look after having cataract surgery. Apparently your internal lenses get dingy slowly with age and after lens replacement surgery things are bright and vibrant like when you were a child PLUS many vision problems (nearsightedness especially) are corrected too. Not saying we should all run out and get cataract surgery if we don't need it but its an added plus.

It would seem a good idea as the new high-tech cataract lenses are a real game changer as the change is like entering a room that had been changes from standard light bulbs to a new set of LED daytime series bulbs, using the same wattage!!

FYI: For those who are approaching that point of needed cataract surgery: Please selected the type that duplicates your current status!! If your are nearsighted, get nearsighted cataract replacement lenses!

Regarding a Parrot that appears dull; commonly the Parrot needs a great bath! Their nature powder builds-up on the surface, which appears to dull the feathers.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It would seem a good idea as the new high-tech cataract lenses are a real game changer as the change is like entering a room that had been changes from standard light bulbs to a new set of LED daytime series bulbs, using the same wattage!!

FYI: For those who are approaching that point of needed cataract surgery: Please selected the type that duplicates your current status!! If your are nearsighted, get nearsighted cataract replacement lenses!

Regarding a Parrot that appears dull; commonly the Parrot needs a great bath! Their nature powder builds-up on the surface, which appears to dull the feathers.
Everyone I talk to that's had cataract surgery (both parents, ex-husband and may others) say the same thing- initially scared and who can blame them- but very happy with the results. Bright clear colors, whiter whites and better vision! Still kinda scary.

Most Reactions