Confused and needing some advice!

RiosMom

Apr 20, 2013
Colorado
Parrots
Rio - White Earred Conure
Henry - Quaker Parrot
Hello! I am currently the owner of a great little green cheek conure and have been volunteering at a wonderful bird rescue. I am exploring the adoption of a BFA that I really have taken a liking to. He's been there for 10+ years and is not very trusting (understandable). He talks to me, will accept pets (only in his cage about 80% of the time), accepts treats out of his cage and I try to visit at least an hour each week with him.

My concern or confusion comes from this...a few Amazons at the rescue have picked their new adopters and become very excited when they see them (almost from the first meeting). Is this the norm? I'm feeling a bit concerned that since he isn't bonkers for me, that maybe he's not really choosing me, but I him. Any adopters out there...I would love your 2 cents!

Thank you!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
we adopted a 35 year old DYH amazon. We saw him at the rescue a few times before we decided.
He seemed curious about us, but that's about it. At the rescue he wouldn't step up for anybody and only let the lady that ran the rescue scritch him once in a blue moon.
we didn't know if we could ever get close to him, but he needed a home and nobody was adopting him. So fools rush in where angels fear to tread. 4days later he was on my lap. Now 7months later he is my best buddy and we are very bonded.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Ive had both, ones that immediately bond and [my bluefrt zon ] I had to win over .Its been 5 months now [and hes 30 + years old] . Hes decided he loves me to death. Be kind, patient and treat them like celeberties .Im sure things will be great too :).

OP
RiosMom

RiosMom

Apr 20, 2013
Colorado
Parrots
Henry - Quaker Parrot
Thanks! I really needed to hear from some others with the same experience. I'm giving him lots of time and patience...and he's already a celebrity to me!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
The way the rescue explained it to me,an she was right. With the older birds it can take them longer to trust. The good news is when an amazon trusts and bonds they do so very deeply. It sounds like you are already well on your way to creating a very special relationship.

OP
RiosMom

RiosMom

Apr 20, 2013
Colorado
Parrots
Henry - Quaker Parrot
I am really glad I have Rio since she has taught me so much already! Volunteering at the rescue has taught me so much more...and I wish I could take home so many more. I totally understand that Joe (the BFA) will take his time in trusting...he was in a home and the adopters gave him back when their canary landed on his cage and he "killed it." It does make me more aware that Rio will have to be watched carefully to keep them both happy and safe. I think that the reward of his trust will be worth it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts