Conure in kitchen - safe or not?

ftm420

Jan 3, 2018
Parrots
Conure - Donny 2017
Read some scary posts about not having conures in the kitchen as there's a multitude of ways to kill them!

Ours is in a large kitchen [27-feet long] with a back door between him and the cooker, and the kitchen door is open to the rest of the house.

Will that allow sufficient ventilation, given that the dog goes in and out of the back door, and ours is a busy household so we are in and out all the time? I should add that we plan to let him out for an hour or so every evening, rather than him being out all day, because of the dog.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well, I have a well-deserved reputation for paranoi and over-reaction, buttt...

I wish he could be out of the kitchen. As you said... just so manypossibilities and stories of fumes and such. And exposed heat/fire sources. And sharp stuff.

I'd also urge you to be soooooo careful of the opening doors and doggie and traffic and... things can just turn from fine to tragc so fast with our feathered darlings.

Good for you, for reaching out for thoughts!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I would venture to say the living room or family room would be a better location. Regardless of where your bird is located in relation to the kitchen you MUST get rid of ALL non stick pans and appliances. 'Teflon' fumes have no odor, do not typically affect humans and larger pets (like dogs) and can permeate a whole house. Birds can and do die within minutes of teflon exposure. Non-stick pans and appliances are the larger threat in a kitchen, but there are many other risks. Burning food, hot oil both can irritate the sensitive respiratory tracts of parrots, though are generally not fatal and usually do not permeate an entire house like teflon fumes do. There is also the unpleasant possibility that one day the bird gets loose while something is cooking and lands in a hot pan or pot of boiling water. Best to keep birds out of the kitchen and if you haven't already, toss anything non-stick and replace with one of the many other non-toxic materials available for cookware.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I tend to fall along the same line as Gail, I am SUPER paranoid when it comes to Skittles.

I don't use any non-stick appliances or cookware- I don't own any. I use either stainless steel, cast iron, glass or ceramic.

IF I am wanting to cook something that will create a lot of smoke or odor then I wait til after Skittles goes to bed (I tend to eat late anyways since I'm a night owl).

But aside from that, he goes into the kitchen with me whenever I go- however he tends to sit on the faucet for the most part. I have him pretty well trained on where he cannot go in the kitchen though he still likes to test me.

I've had to make accommodations to allow him to be in the kitchen with me cause there is no way to keep him out- I've tried and every method I've tried he's outsmarted me on. Short of caging him. If I happen to do that, he will lean forward and vibrate meaning "let me out, let me out!". I hate caging him unless I absolutely have too.

OP
F

ftm420

Jan 3, 2018
Parrots
Conure - Donny 2017
TBH I'm beginning to think this was a really bad idea. I've done a reccy of the rest of the house and there really isn't anywhere else safe/friendly that he could go. We are in the middle of redecorating upstairs, so it's a disaster area up there.

The dog although he is OK when the bird is quiet, is very stressed when he's flying/noisy [most of the time!]. We can't let the bird out unsupervised and have to lock the dog away out of sight when we do, so bird gets about an hour free flight a day max.

The rest of the downstairs is empty most of the day as we use the kitchen/dining area as our living space and only use the living room in the evenings, to wind down. I'm not prepared to swap all my cooking stuff for non-stick, having already spent loads on bird / xmas / decorating, so that's not an option. [selfish but being pragmatic - don't scold me!]

I have to be frank and say I'm anti-bird at the moment, although I do think he's gorgeous and quite a character developing now. I like Donny but my primary concern has always been my dog and I feel that we are having to compromise his life and ours in order to accommodate Donny. My husband and son no.2 love the bird and want to keep him, but son works shifts and husband is either abroad [in Denmark right now 5 dw] or in London, so gets home v late. Result is that I am the primary carer and I also work f-t, so dog is locked in utility room all day to keep Donny safe, so Donny only sees people when they are 'passing through'. It all seems very unfair to dog and conure?

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
There is no shame in recognizing a bird is not the right fit for your family. They are certainly not the right pet for every home. If you are using non-stick anything though, PLEASE return him to the pet store/breeder or rehome him ASAP. Teflon deaths in birds are very quick and there is no way of knowing if the cookware is off-gassing as humans can't smell it and aren't affected by it. It may be difficult to return/rehome him, but it is the right thing to do if you are unwilling or unable to to make the changes to your home and lifestyle necessary for it to be safe for a bird to live there. It will also be easier on him if he doesn't get too attached to your family and is allowed to go to a family who is better able to handle the special needs of a parrot. No judgement, just trying to being honest about what the right thing to do here is.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Having a bird as a pet/companion is more than a passing fancy, it's a way of life.

everything you bring into the house you have to think first and foremost
"how will this affect Polly?"

I can understand how not everyone in a family be overjoyed at a feathered companion.
I guess I feel the reverse of the way you feel. I have a ...dislike of dogs. They are always panting and dripping water off there tongue, dripping on your pants or shoes. Slobbering rubbing there buts on the carpet. Have to be taken out for walks even when it's too cold, too hot, or too windy. Eating out of the garbage.
The dog my mother had when I was in high school had the disgusting habit of eating cat poop and then wanting to lick you in the face. UUUGGGG.

sorry I digress .There are lot's of folks here that also keep dog's I don't mean to offend.

texsize

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I wouldn't have a parrot if it was up to me, but the arrangement works for us. The better half does most of the cleaning and feeding. It sounds like you are doing most of the care, and the others who like the bird to be around aren't able to care for him and keep him company. You have to accommodate, the dog has to accommodate, the bird has to accommodate .. doesn't sound ideal. And if the dog gets out, the door isn't shut tight, the bird uses the 20 seconds the door is open to escape, or lands in a pot of boiling water .. many dangers. It doesn't seem like an ideal arrangement.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Having a bird as a pet/companion is more than a passing fancy, it's a way of life.

everything you bring into the house you have to think first and foremost
"how will this affect Polly?"

I can understand how not everyone in a family be overjoyed at a feathered companion.
I guess I feel the reverse of the way you feel. I have a ...dislike of dogs. They are always panting and dripping water off there tongue, dripping on your pants or shoes. Slobbering rubbing there buts on the carpet. Have to be taken out for walks even when it's too cold, too hot, or too windy. Eating out of the garbage.
The dog my mother had when I was in high school had the disgusting habit of eating cat poop and then wanting to lick you in the face. UUUGGGG.

sorry I digress .There are lot's of folks here that also keep dog's I don't mean to offend.

texsize

I have to second pretty much everything you said. The whole "how will this affect...." line of thinking totally relates to me. Skittles is ALWAYS my #1 priority.

While I DO love animals, dogs are pretty close to the bottom of the list.

So those of us who are bird people (and NOT dog people) this is how we feel. Just like to dog people (who are NOT bird people) they would say things about birds (loudness, messes, pooping etc).

I think if a bird is brought into a family situation- the family should all meet up FIRST and discuss the responsibilities and requirements of such and addition and find out if it can work out.

For me, the way things are with Skittles- basically his needs ALWAYS come first. I put my needs (and those of friends/family) behind his and they know it and have to accept it if they want to be a part of my life.

Last edited:

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I do have a friend who thinks I go overboard- she will say "man, he won't let you do anything!". Which is not true.

But since I say I can't cook with things that smoke, or clean with certain cleansers (or move very large objects) with him around, she thinks he has control over me. He doesn't.

I can cook, clean and do all sorts of things with him out of the cage. But because I use precaution and don't do things that MIGHT pose a hazard, somehow I'm letting him control me. This friend is pretty clueless anyways. I mean, forgive me for being a good parront. lol

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Yeah people think it's a bit weird we stopped using our giant living room fireplace or no longer burn candles or incense or use perfume without planning it out way ahead of time and threw out anything we even suspect as a non-stick item that we have made "too many" sacrifices for a pet. Well...if you child was allergic to these things no one would say such nonsense and I say a bird is much much closer to a child than a pet to most bird owners (if your doing it right). You just end up automatically making these, in my mind small sacrifices for the ones we love and don't even think twice about it. If you aren't ready to make such sacrifices then I agree that a bird is not the right fit for your family.

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
Remi is allowed in the kitchen as long as the heated appliances are switched off (and are cold).

As soon as anything requires cooking she's not allowed in, and cooking is always done with two sets of ventilation fans on.

There is one risk I take and that's the kettle, often I have a velcro bird hanging off me desperate for mash and good luck getting her off until there's a bowl in her face. I understand the kettle can burn, and have observed her staying away from it but I acknowledge it's a risk, and it's one I am comfortable taking.

Each to their own, of course.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Yeah people think it's a bit weird we stopped using our giant living room fireplace or no longer burn candles or incense or use perfume without planning it out way ahead of time and threw out anything we even suspect as a non-stick item that we have made "too many" sacrifices for a pet. Well...if you child was allergic to these things no one would say such nonsense and I say a bird is much much closer to a child than a pet to most bird owners (if your doing it right). You just end up automatically making these, in my mind small sacrifices for the ones we love and don't even think twice about it. If you aren't ready to make such sacrifices then I agree that a bird is not the right fit for your family.

TOTALLY agree with everything you said.

There is a 'stigma' around birds-- people who know nothing about them seem to think they are disposable pets or decorative objects you place in your living room. They aren't plants or goldfish.

In all honesty, I make the sacrifices I make because I want too. Because I want Skittles to be happy, healthy and to live a very long life so that's what I have to do. If he's happy, then I'm happy and thats what counts.

I know there are sometimes situations that arise that are just not fixable and the OPs situation may or may not be one of those. I just really think proper planning should always be a factor.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
My african grey Enzo lives in the kitchen, I do make provisions for her being there suck as....

Dont leave any electrical appliances on show or the cables will be chewed through.
Dont leave any knives or sharp objects on the worktops, for obvious reasons.
Move her in the cage to the hall way whilst I cook a meal, but keep the door open and talk to her.

I do boil kettles and steam her breakfast veg on the gas hob and after spending weeks or saying 'ouch' and 'HOT!' whilst pointing to the hob she stays well clear of the hob. When the gas is out I cover it with a large cover. This is risky and i shouldnt do it, but I am sure enzo understands.

I also iron in the kitchen, enzo remains in the cage when I do so.

She has always been in the kitchen and its funny that when she comes out of her cage she will inspect EVERY object on the worktops, she particularly loves the bread bin and will check the bread inside once she removes the lid (she is so strong!)

She will poop in certain places, over the edge of the kitchen table and one of the chairs, I have lino down to catch the poops.

The biggest problem is chewing, everything and i mean everything is fair game.

Just be sensible!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Skittles is pretty much the center of my world and almost everything I do surrounds him- so supervising him has become second nature.

The good thing about him is that he will only try to get into mischief when I seem distracted and so I have trained myself to always have an eye on him even when I'm busy doing something else- fortunately for me I am very good at multi-tasking. Nearly all of those times are when I am on the phone.

Skittles just likes being near me and so its not difficult to satisfy him. He'll 'hang out' inside my shirt when I'm on my PC (like he is now) or he'll sit on my knee or my shoulder when I'm lounging in my chair.

The good thing about the kitchen is- he has one favorite spot- the kitchen faucet. He loves to hang out there, so I just make a point to keep it clean. He'll sit there when I do dishes and when I cook. He's never really been fascinated by the stove and tends to stay away from steam. I have a very small kitchen so it's easy to supervise him.

Skittles is VERY MUCH a velcro bird, so as long as I allow him someplace to be near me, he's fine.

MOST of my appliances are kept in cupboards or on shelves out of reach for him. The only appliances that remain plugged in are the coffee maker and the microwave but the way I have them situated its extremely difficult for him to even find access. I replaced ALL my kitchen shelves and spice racks- they are all metal now- mostly stainless steel. No more wooden or plastic shelves. (Except for the large wall one, but there isn't a place for him to perch on them so he avoids them.

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Question: Is a "Velcro bird" a bird that always wants to be on you or a bird that just always wants to be near you? I thought it was a bird that literally wants to always be on you. Sorry about the tangent.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
FYI- I don't iron much, and when I do I go to another floor. Just about every iron nowadays has a nonstick, Teflon type coating on the sole plate.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Most of the time, something like switching to a less toxic cleaner actually benefits YOU, too, so I haven't thought of those things as burdensome or annoying.

My significant other really wanted/maybe-still-wants scented candles or something to make the home smell nice, I'm still researching that (but another thread earlier today on Essential Oils lead me to some promising alternatives).

First thing I swapped out was old pans for newer non-toxic-/non-stick ones (they DO exist, we've been using an OZERI and AMORE pan for two years, both with no ill effects). Both are 100% PTFE and PFOA free; I contacted each company before purchase to verify they were safe to specifically use around parrots. Actually, a 2012 post over on AvianAvenue lead me to the Ozeri one; you can search the 'questions and answers' section of the product page for 'bird', and see that several bird-owners purchased it for safe-use around parrots.

Beyond that, you know - don't let the pans smoke up in the first place, keep the kitchen well ventilated, etc.

Mochi is a velcro bird to Brianna, and has been on her shoulder plenty of times when cooking is happening. Thank goodness she's never fallen into a stew pot or something. Or tried to eat a slice as B's cutting garlic up.

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Ollie sometimes sits on my shoulder while I'm cooking something like a soup or vegetables or something that doesn't smoke much. So far he has not attempted to jump into my broccoli.

Most Reactions