cooking sprays?

KnightlyMoon

Oct 18, 2019
West Virginia
Parrots
Mickey -Green Cheek Conure
Mango -Green Cheek Conure
I was making lunch today and coated the pan I used in pams cooking spray (Canola oil version) , since I couldn't find the butter.

Will that affect my birds, who are in their cage upstairs? :gcc:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Most important is avoding Teflon and similar PFOA/PTFE compounds on pans as they release deadly fumes that can kill a parrot at significant distance. There is some evidence vegetable oils at high temperatures are also harmful. Pam and other sprays often use chemical propellants. An alternative is pouring desired oil into a pump-spray that is energized by compressing air by hand. Also cheaper in the long run!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Spray cooking oils tend to be heavy and fall-out of the air quickly compared to much lighter sprays. I avoid them and recommend that others avoid them as well as they are prone to build-up on surfaces and become a pain to clear.

A cage upstairs should not be a problem with cooking sprays. BUT, it is important to know that warm air /fumes tend to rise and the contamination is always greater in the upper floors!

Have /install kitchen fans that push the kitchen air /fumes out of the home!!

OP
K

KnightlyMoon

Oct 18, 2019
West Virginia
Parrots
Mickey -Green Cheek Conure
Mango -Green Cheek Conure
thank you both for answering! :'D
My boys seem fine, but ill make sure to get some fans put in the kitchen for future cooking endeavors

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm so glad you asked. Caution (even paranoia, in my case, usually!) is always better than a horrible mistake.
And good for you, for bringing the subject up so that newer or inexperienced members will be sure to see this vital information.

KathleenM

Aug 13, 2021
Parrots
Red Lored
Oil can sometimes ignite in pan and that scares me initially just thinking bout it. Or just at high temperatures it gets in the air. Since oil is a processed food, we humans really stay away from oils in my place. Maybe a bit with lemon just drizzled on salads, oriental foods after cooking the veggies or eggs occasionally . I keep usually about 6 oz in the fridge of olive or sesame oil to mix with mustard on a sandwich that looks dry, like that, the bird gets his oils in his pellet feed, or in edemame beans he likes in a boiled pod. I stir fry in water sometimes with some juice added and watch the pan carefully, stirring tofu while searing it really well. Things will brown that way.

I heard a lady put veggies into avocado oil to deep fry in the kitchen and one of her parakeets started squaking like an alarm going off in the living room next to the kitchen. The other parakeet was sort of draped over a perch, looking awful, when the owner looked in. There was a third bird also. She got all birds to the vet, one died and one stayed at the hospital for several nights, one came home again and seemed fine all around. Probably high temp oil isn't good for any of us, and we humans can fill up on olives for instance that have protein along with fiber, etc. Cooking is fun, but making it simple means less clean up and less dangers all around.

Most Reactions