COVID-19 Virus

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Sigghhhh...I just got a call from the place David is rehabbing/PT at. He tested positive for covid :confused: this morning. He has been boosted. They moved him to an isolated room. He is asyemtimatic. I visted him two days ago,thinking of getting tested now.

Jim

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
That's a double dose of bad news.
I hope he pulls through without a problem and you come b ack negative.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

That's a double dose of bad news.
I hope he pulls through without a problem and you come b ack negative.
I was able to get an at home rapid test. The web says incubation is 2 to 14 days with a medium of 5 days. Since its only been 2 days since I vistied him I'll wait til tomorrow to test.. Just waiting on the blizzard to start..18 to 24 inches to start today and all day tomorrow with hurricane force winds.

Jim

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Jim,
My wife and I had our 50th anniversary around Christmas with only immediate family. Turns out my sister was exposed to her sister-in-law the day before who subsequently tested positive and had some symptoms. Well, 5 of us, all vaccinated and boosted came down with symptoms I tested positive and mine lasted about 3 days and a week or so later I got most of my taste and smell back.

I used one of the rapid test kits to confirm.

I have a super good immune system and almost never get sick so vaccines dont seem to matter much in preventing infection.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Jim,
My wife and I had our 50th anniversary around Christmas with only immediate family. Turns out my sister was exposed to her sister-in-law the day before who subsequently tested positive and had some symptoms. Well, 5 of us, all vaccinated and boosted came down with symptoms I tested positive and mine lasted about 3 days and a week or so later I got most of my taste and smell back.

I used one of the rapid test kits to confirm.

I have a super good immune system and almost never get sick so vaccines dont seem to matter much in preventing infection.
Happy to hear you're ok Bill...I am at "high risk" David just turned 70 and his ticker is in better shape than mine.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Bill, happy to hear you are recovering well.
Jim, Prayers your way for your brother and you!!

The Virus and its Variates are volume based, meaning the greater the exposure (volume received) the higher the likelihood of one getting this thing! The really sad thing is that it appears the percentage of the Vac protecting one is lower than stated, but no one is willing to hang a number of in. So, Great, we have become a Worldwide Test Sight.

When this was described as a SARS family Virus, I was very concern. Nothing has changed that concern.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry to hear and pray is only minor.

By brother is currently 2 weeks in with omnicron, he us vaccination and boosted. Has been very sick but not hospital sick, had a few scary breathing days, slowly improving. Doctors told him he definitely would have been hospitalized had he not been vaccinate . We all agree.

I also have 2 other friends tgst are positive and vaccination. But only had very mild sniffles one is 70 with heart disease but really has done fantastic.. while my healthy brother if 48 is so sick.
So its variable on whst happens.

I'm hopeful your brother will be mild abd recover quickly. And thst yiu don't even get it fingers crossed

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sigghhhh...I just got a call from the place David is rehabbing/PT at. He tested positive for covid :confused: this morning. He has been boosted. They moved him to an isolated room. He is asyemtimatic. I visted him two days ago,thinking of getting tested now.

Jim
Hope you and David remain asymptomatic and well. Having vaccination + booster offers best respite from significant or severe impact. Please stay well and keep us updated!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

Jim
Uncle Jim, this is so worrying, I'm so sorry. I don't even know where to even begin. Sending my very best wishes to your brother too, @Laurasea, and I hope that he makes a full recovery very soon. You are all in my prayers and in my heart. Many hugs and much love to both of you, my friends!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Kudos for superhuman immune system, but empirical evidence for bulk of population bell curve is vaccines + booster reduces infections and lethality. Breakthroughs are inevitable but public health best served by mitigating deaths and ameliorating illness requiring hospitalization.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I'm sorry to hear and pray is only minor.

By brother is currently 2 weeks in with omnicron, he us vaccination and boosted. Has been very sick but not hospital sick, had a few scary breathing days, slowly improving. Doctors told him he definitely would have been hospitalized had he not been vaccinate . We all agree.

I also have 2 other friends tgst are positive and vaccination. But only had very mild sniffles one is 70 with heart disease but really has done fantastic.. while my healthy brother if 48 is so sick.
So its variable on whst happens.

I'm hopeful your brother will be mild abd recover quickly. And thst yiu don't even get it fingers crossed
Wishing your brother swift recovery and return to good health! Your two friends represent the best consequence of medical science, may they mend rapidly!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I spoke to him yesterday and he says he feels fine,had no idea he has covid. The fascility has quarantined him for ten days and I cant visit :confused: I haven't used the at home test yet,will wait another day or so. It's snowing like a mo-fo with 40mph winds now. Expecting 12 inches instead of 24...this sux!

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I spoke to him yesterday and he says he feels fine,had no idea he has covid. The fascility has quarantined him for ten days and I cant visit :confused: I haven't used the at home test yet,will wait another day or so. It's snowing like a mo-fo with 40mph winds now. Expecting 12 inches instead of 24...this sux!

Jim
Hope that continues for David!! Hunker down and stay warm, Jim!! Please no power failures!!

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Kudos for superhuman immune system, but empirical evidence for bulk of population bell curve is vaccines + booster reduces infections and lethality. Breakthroughs are inevitable but public health best served by mitigating deaths and ameliorating illness requiring hospitalization.
Scott, notice that I said infection not severity. At this particular gathering there were 13 people, all vaccinated and boosted with Pfizer and exposure was second hand but still 5 of the 13 got symptoms (sick). Since I think only one of those without symptoms got tested I have no idea if any were asymptomatic. In any event 5 of 13 actually getting sick doesn't seem like there is much protection from infection, which is what my comment was about...I didn't need a lecture on public health.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Scott, notice that I said infection not severity. At this particular gathering there were 13 people, all vaccinated and boosted with Pfizer and exposure was second hand but still 5 of the 13 got symptoms (sick). Since I think only one of those without symptoms got tested I have no idea if any were asymptomatic. In any event 5 of 13 actually getting sick doesn't seem like there is much protection from infection, which is what my comment was about...I didn't need a lecture on public health.
Anecdotes useful when not conflated with robust statistics. I know many fully vaccinated + boosted who are frequently tested in workplace. Vast majority asymptomatic and thus far never infected. No "lecture" intended: Fact is highly vaccinated regions suffer fewer hospitalizations and reduced lethality than peers with lessened compliance.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

my brother is finally turned them corner. But is weak and tired . But definitely recovering thank goodness
So glad to hear!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

David is still in quarantine,four more days. I'm concerned,he is clueless on whats going on. He didnt even realize we had feet of snow the other day and his bed is near a window! On the brighter side he is improving,walks with a walker a bit,can manage to get to the bathroom on his own. I need to talk to one of his caregivers and get some definitive answers.
Staring at the at home rapid test now..should I or shouldnt I? I feel fine but that doesn't mean much.

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

It never ends! I talked to his nurse and she said David fell out of his wheelchair! Tell me how you fall out of a wheelchair please?? She said he either passed out or fell asleep. At any rate it is protocal to take him to the local hospital,she said he has a gash on his forehead and arm and being on blood thinners...
She also said he''ll be in quarantine until the 8th. I can visit as long as I take proper precautions,but I'm real nervous about it. The nurse suggested I wait until quarantine is over.
I just did the rapid test and it is negative.
I wanna drink a couple beers but I'm not really a drinker. :confused:

Jim

Most Reactions